MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can 2nd year students select 1st year electives? Daman K Academics 8 09-08-2010 08:03 PM
First Year Electives mellye First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 06-16-2010 01:05 AM
Second Year Eng Phys erinn Academics 4 06-09-2010 01:57 PM
Do we HAVE to take electives first year? aziz917 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 10 07-24-2009 06:00 PM
First Year Electives maturegoose Academics 2 08-21-2008 09:07 PM

Eng Phys Electives 2nd year

Old 06-08-2009 at 04:07 PM   #1
Ryan V

Liked: 8 Times

Eng Phys Electives 2nd year
Is there a way to avoid taking all the humanities courses that they suggest in the complementary electives for engineering physics. Is it possible for me to take a computer science course or something of that nature instead?
Old 06-08-2009 at 05:32 PM   #2
tungo89
Club G.R.O.S.S.

Liked: 46 Times

I'm in the exact same position as you (going into second year eng phys).

The two electives we need next year (and one in third year) are a requirement to graduate with an engineering degree. I tried various ways of getting out of it or taking different courses with Sally Williams, but no dice. Gotta stick with that miserable list haha.

Cheers, and see you next year!

Ryan V says thanks to tungo89 for this post.
Old 06-08-2009 at 05:38 PM   #3
Ryan V

Liked: 8 Times

Well, basically i'm looking for something with no essays lol
Old 06-08-2009 at 05:40 PM   #4
tungo89
Club G.R.O.S.S.

Liked: 46 Times

Incidentally (since I think a lot of people in Engineering don't realise this), you are technically allowed to take whatever courses you like (assuming you satisfy the prerequisite) - they just wouldn't count for your electives.

For example, I really like economics and am currently taking 2X03, but didn't want to do the management program; since Econ 2X03 can't be counted as an elective, this course has no bearing whatsoever on my engineering degree - unless I declare a minor later or something.

Cheers
Old 06-08-2009 at 06:25 PM   #5
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

Oh come on, you need at least one non-math related course to keep your sanity :p

If you really want to avoid essays and lots of homework/reading, you might want to look into some languages.
Old 06-08-2009 at 07:25 PM   #6
Geek
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 98 Times

Short snarky reply, because I'm mad at the course timetable, and the multitude of conflicts I am currently facing: No, there really isn't.

And here's the cherry on the cake: With other departments, since class sizes are slightly bigger, you may have a chance to switch around your engineering classes to fit your electives. You can't do that with Eng Phys b/c there is only one section for everything. Usually with the pre-selected humanities courses, major conflicts can be avoided. If you try to be adventurous, prepare to meet your doom on SOLAR.

^()_*^^[email protected]$%$^&%*&[email protected]@ ()**&^^^[email protected]#[email protected]% !!!!

Damn timetable/eng phys/electives/society/SOLAR!

Oh, and in an attmept to be helpful, a lot of my friends in eng phys just took econ as their two electives. Minimal work + easy 12