Transfer into Engineering Aisha777 Academics 17 04-01-2010 08:53 AM
Transfer Drkhan Academics 9 02-20-2010 11:49 PM
Transfer to Mac Pay919 Academics 3 12-20-2008 11:51 PM

Eng transfer gpa

Old 11-25-2012 at 11:55 PM   #1
nathanb

Liked: 0 Times

Eng transfer gpa
Does anyone know what gpa you need to transfer into engineering from btech?
Old 11-26-2012 at 12:23 AM   #2
AngryBean
Account Locked

Liked: 129 Times

Contact academic adviser in JHE a214..
Old 11-26-2012 at 03:18 PM   #3
jim1
Elite Member

Liked: 360 Times

There was a thread about this in the summer, i think people were saying that the gpa required was like an 8 or 8.5...but you have to know that these things change from year to year. If you get a 9 or a 10 you're good to go..i am pretty sure a 9 will get you into engineering.

If you want to double check, talk to Sally Williams and she'll tell you what average you need to get into engineering. However, i would aim a bit higher than what she says..so if she says that you need an 8.5, i would get a 9 just in case, because even though she has an idea about what gpa you need to get into engineering, she doesn't really know how many people are transferring this year.
You're not alone, others are also trying to get into engineering; either from btech or different faculties.
Old 11-26-2012 at 07:34 PM   #4
biglandfarm

Liked: 66 Times

hi, what prerequisite I need to transfer into engineering? Im in business, so I have no university and minimum highschool background in sciences, but I am willing to learn :/
Old 11-26-2012 at 07:38 PM   #5
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 580 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by biglandfarm View Post
hi, what prerequisite I need to transfer into engineering? Im in business, so I have no university and minimum highschool background in sciences, but I am willing to learn :/
In that case, you'll probably have to start from first year. Do you have the high school prerequisites for engineering? If not, you should take those equivalents at Mac. Either way, speak to an adviser from engineering.
Old 11-26-2012 at 08:45 PM   #6
jim1
Elite Member

Liked: 360 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by biglandfarm View Post
Just like any other transferring student from a different program you need like an 8 or a 9 to get in. Even if they let you into first year engineering, i wouldn't recommend going in this September. I would say, take some math/physics/chemistry courses for a whole year...you need to have like the same knowledge in math and science as any high school student in order to understood the material in first year eng. You don't need to be a genius, you just need to be comfortable with them because you will see them again in first year and for the rest of your years as an engineering student.

I am not sure how much science and math you know, so i would talk to an academic advisor about it and hopefully she will help you out. I think you should email Maria White and book an appointment with her to fully understand the whole procedure. Maria White is the Assistant Dean in the faulty of engineering, she is responsible for that kind of stuff (transferring students and all that).

So yea, i think it's best if you take a year of math and science here at mac before going into first year engineering. Or you could leave business next term and start taking math and science courses next term and throughout the summer...again that's just my personal opinion, you should definitely talk to Maria and see what she says.

I think engineering is a great program if you are passionate about it. Keep up the good work this year and hopefully things go well for you in the near future!

Maria White, Assistant Dean (Studies):
[email protected]

I know it's too early, but feel free to check out these links:
http://www.eng.mcmaster.ca/index.html
http://www.eng.mcmaster.ca/departments.html

biglandfarm likes this.
Old 11-29-2012 at 10:36 PM   #7
nathanb

Liked: 0 Times

Thanks alot!