MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
transfer?? Ziggi Academics 4 08-17-2010 07:53 PM
HELP Transfer into Engineering from Life Sci??? CelesteSkye Academics 4 07-02-2010 04:28 PM
transfer credits in 1st year engineering jntyrhds First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 06-12-2010 10:36 AM
Transfer to Mac Pay919 Academics 3 12-20-2008 11:51 PM
Ualberta student wanting to transfer to McMaster Engineering Oilers Academics 1 11-09-2008 02:22 PM

Transfer into Engineering

Old 03-30-2010 at 02:09 PM   #1
Aisha777

Liked: 0 Times

Transfer into Engineering
I am currently a business student at McMaster University and want to transfer into engineering. I talked to sally regarding this but she didnt give me enough information. Anyone who knows what kinda avg do i need for that and am i guranteed a spot. PLease help..
Old 03-30-2010
niteskie
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 03-30-2010 at 05:39 PM   #2
mike_302
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

WOAH!? You want INTO engineering?

That. Is. Awesome.

Sorry, I know nothing about the transfer process. I just thought that was amazing.
Old 03-30-2010 at 05:43 PM   #3
RoyK
Zetsubou Sensei

Liked: 71 Times

well, that certainly is an unusual request. For the first part, you should probably make sure you have the required pre-reqs for first year (like chemistry, physics etc). I don't think they can even offer you admittance without any prior schooling in those subjects to a grade 12 level.
Old 03-30-2010 at 05:53 PM   #4
Rstevenson

Liked: 25 Times

I have to agree with Mike on this one...
Old 03-30-2010 at 10:13 PM   #5
manu
jack

Liked: 75 Times

are you sure? Think carefully
Old 03-31-2010 at 12:14 AM   #6
lmasud

Liked: 33 Times

Why are you people discouraging the guy? Go ahead and try to transfer, but its going to be tricky. After first year, engineering students pick their stream, which requires a certain average of our core classes (chem, matls, two physics, two maths, eng 1d04, 1c03 and 1p03). You for sure dont have the last three classes, and materials science. The other five classes may be able to substituted with other ones (ie chem 1aa3 for chem 1e03), but I'm not entirely sure which classes substitute for which ones (you'll have to ask sally williams or someone in engineering services).

Most likely, you will have to repeat a year.
Old 03-31-2010 at 12:40 AM   #7
mellye
Elite Member

Liked: 29 Times

Hey!

I'm trying to do the same thing from Math& Stats. Basically, last year, the average was about an 8 to get into engineering and even that wasn't guarenteed. Having an 8 out people's foot through the door. After, engineering has to consider why you want into the eng and if they think you're capable.. ALSO, you'd most likely have to start from Eng I. If you want to go into 2nd year, you are placed behind all the other engineers, so programs like civil, mechanical, etc, will most likely be full and you wont be able to do them.
Old 03-31-2010 at 05:59 AM   #8
RoyK
Zetsubou Sensei

Liked: 71 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmasud View Post
Why are you people discouraging the guy? Go ahead and try to transfer, but its going to be tricky. After first year, engineering students pick their stream, which requires a certain average of our core classes (chem, matls, two physics, two maths, eng 1d04, 1c03 and 1p03). You for sure dont have the last three classes, and materials science. The other five classes may be able to substituted with other ones (ie chem 1aa3 for chem 1e03), but I'm not entirely sure which classes substitute for which ones (you'll have to ask sally williams or someone in engineering services).

Not a single person discouraged Aisha; it was only mentioned that you don't often hear someone wanting to switch in (more often, I hear of people switching out because they don't like it). Nowhere have I seen anyone putting aisha down and saying "it's impossible," or anything of the sort.

Last edited by RoyK : 03-31-2010 at 06:02 AM.
Old 03-31-2010 at 06:01 AM   #9
Entropy
Splice onto Arcane

Liked: 974 Times

Quote:

Aisha could be (and usually is, I think) a girl's name. =\

I don't think it's so much people being discouraging, it's just that transferring into Eng, especially from a non-Science faculty is somewhat uncommon and they're just expressing surprise.

Just a small fix though: the substitute for Chem 1E03 is Chem 1A03. 1AA3 is the followup Chem that first-year Science students, along with some Engineers take.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mellye View Post
Hey!

I'm trying to do the same thing from Math& Stats. Basically, last year, the average was about an 8 to get into engineering and even that wasn't guarenteed. Having an 8 out people's foot through the door. After, engineering has to consider why you want into the eng and if they think you're capable.. ALSO, you'd most likely have to start from Eng I. If you want to go into 2nd year, you are placed behind all the other engineers, so programs like civil, mechanical, etc, will most likely be full and you wont be able to do them.
Really? I'd assume that students who completed the transfer would have the same chance of getting into any given second-year program provided they have the same marks as any regular Eng I student, but I'm not sure of the details.

Unrelated: I remember seeing your name while invigilating the Materials 1M03 tests. I read it, but couldn't figure out where I'd seen it before until now.

Edit: Of course I post two minutes too late at some obscene hour. =\

Last edited by Entropy : 03-31-2010 at 06:03 AM.
Old 03-31-2010 at 06:39 AM   #10
mike_302
Elite Member

Just pointing out my first post.

That. Is. Awesome.

Sorry, I know nothing about the transfer process. I just thought that was amazing.

Notice the use of "Awesome" and "amazing". DO IT! TRANSFER! Then shake my hand next year if you can count yourself as an engineering frosh.
Old 03-31-2010 at 11:15 AM   #11
mellye
Elite Member

Liked: 29 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entropy View Post
Really? I'd assume that students who completed the transfer would have the same chance of getting into any given second-year program provided they have the same marks as any regular Eng I student, but I'm not sure of the details.

Unrelated: I remember seeing your name while invigilating the Materials 1M03 tests. I read it, but couldn't figure out where I'd seen it before until now.

Edit: Of course I post two minutes too late at some obscene hour. =\
.... you saw my fail of a materials test XD ???

anyways, they cannot give someone transferring the same consideration. This is because they gotta stick all the engineers somewhere first. Anyone transferring is placed after all engineers. So if an engineer has an average of 6 and you have an average of 12, the engineer with get the spot you want before you do.

Sally Williams recommended I do Eng I, but modified.
Basically, I'd do level 2 maths, some 3rd years stats course, pre-approved electives and any equivalent physics. I think she said I could probably get permission to do an upper year engineer course. But this would be because I have PHYSICS 1B03+1BA3 which translates to 1D03 and MATH 1X03, 1XX3 and 1B03, which makes up the first year eng maths, as well as materials and two pre-approved electives. I'm not sure what Aisha has, but hopefully, its along the lines of mine.

ALSO, transfers are put behind the incoming first years. Basically, if there are too many of em, you wont get a spot. :S

I realized its scary. I dont mean to make it that way! But hopefully, I'll see you next year!
Old 03-31-2010 at 12:01 PM   #12
lmasud

Liked: 33 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyK View Post
Not a single person discouraged Aisha; it was only mentioned that you don't often hear someone wanting to switch in (more often, I hear of people switching out because they don't like it). Nowhere have I seen anyone putting aisha down and saying "it's impossible," or anything of the sort.
This sounds a bit discouraging to me:

Quote:
Originally Posted by manu View Post
are you sure? Think carefully
Personally, if I post somewhere I wanna switch out, and I wanna know how to do it, the last thing I would want people to ask tell is to think it over, cause I'm sure she/he didn't just wake up one morning and decide to switch into engineering (ie he/she thought about it very carefully)
Old 03-31-2010 at 12:30 PM   #13
mike_302
Elite Member

Quote:

Whaddya mean , "you people" ? one guy said something a little discouraging. You said "you people". I'm offended

kldv likes this.
Old 03-31-2010 at 01:15 PM   #14
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

Oh yeah, i dont think math will get transfered.

They are changing first year engineering math again next year, gonna be 3 courses, one of which will be computer related (using math with comp software).

MacPack says thanks to blackdragon for this post.