MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Will This Mark/Course still count?! !! VivenK15 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 12-01-2010 02:03 AM
Mark As Sold - Changes Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 10-08-2010 12:12 PM
question about lecture attendance myalani First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 09-10-2010 04:04 PM
Need more information about a mark savannah123 Academics 9 01-21-2010 05:56 PM
What is a failing mark? Cassandraa87 Academics 4 01-10-2010 12:04 AM

ENG1D04 Attendance Mark?

Old 04-22-2011 at 03:01 AM   #1
HelloThere__

Liked: Liked 2 Times

ENG1D04 Attendance Mark?
Just wondering, do they actually deduct grade points from your final average if you miss more than 5 (lectures+tutorials+l abs)? I missed 7 in total...which meas I'll be docked a grade point I'm guessing...For any upper years out there, did they actually do it?

The class average right now is in the 50s range...I'm barely passing...and I heard they often bell-curve this course. Why the heck would they deduct our grades even more...given that the average is already low >.>

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!
Old 04-22-2011 at 03:12 AM   #2
Johnny162

Liked: 16 Times

I'm pretty sure you would only lose marks in the course if you missed tutorials or labs that are worth a part of your mark. If you don't show up for a lecture with 300 students, the prof won't even notice whether you are there or not. However, if you miss tutorials/labs that are worth part of your mark, and do not fill out the required MSAF form, you will definitely lose marks. Depending on how much they are worth, you will likely go down in grade points

HelloThere__ likes this.
Old 04-22-2011 at 03:26 AM   #3
HelloThere__

Liked: Liked 2 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny162 View Post
I'm pretty sure you would only lose marks in the course if you missed tutorials or labs that are worth a part of your mark. If you don't show up for a lecture with 300 students, the prof won't even notice whether you are there or not. However, if you miss tutorials/labs that are worth part of your mark, and do not fill out the required MSAF form, you will definitely lose marks. Depending on how much they are worth, you will likely go down in grade points
Lol, that's just the thing. They use iclickers to record lecture attendance, and they take attendance manually in tutorials/labs (where we just learn things...no assignments). So, I know that they know how many classes we missed and such...but I was just wondering if anyone had actually experinced a mark dockage. Like, calculating their average before their final grade was released to them....and seeing if their attendance affected their grade at all....I feel like they just say that we'll lose marks, to scare us into going to all the classes...?