MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Business admission amare First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 03-22-2010 08:25 AM
Admission into Health Sci Yeah General Discussion 33 05-05-2009 07:28 PM
Engineering Musical Info Night!! micadjems General Discussion 0 09-15-2008 06:43 AM
Admission Cut Off Average Daisydawne18 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 40 04-11-2008 08:32 PM
First Year Engineering Info Night Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 03-28-2008 01:17 AM

Engineering 1 ADMISSION INFO/HELP!!

Old 02-11-2011 at 09:30 PM   #1
madhawatk

Liked: 0 Times

Engineering 1 ADMISSION INFO/HELP!!
Hello,

My name is Rishad. I'm currently a grade 12 student. And im really worried about my average, because i really want to get accepted to mcmaster, but im not sure if i'll make it.

Anyways. so im aware that high schools are sending marks to uni very soon in February and these are my current marks:

English: 55
Computer Science: 84
Functions: 74
Physics: 86
Chemistry: 91
Biology: 82
-------------------
Ave = 78.6%

Obviously this is a really bad average, and i realize i wont get in with these marks, but mac engineering accounts calculus as one of the 4 compulsory courses needed (physics, chem, calculus, English). And i also know that my English mark is really low as well at the moment. But when they send in marks in April i believe i can achieve these marks for my top six including the required courses:

English: 65
Computer Science: 84
Physics: 86
Chemistry: 91
Calculus: 90
Biology: 85
------------------------
Ave = 83.5%

As you can see, i believe my average will be around this when the school send marks in april.
And my questions are, will the marks that were sent in February affect my acceptance eventhough my average is a lot higher in April? And also another thing is, my english mark, is it too low ..eventhoug im in the average range for engineering 1? when i called the admission office they said that as long as your average is above the cutoff and you pass the course, its fine?..but do you think this will affect my chances of getting in.

And finally...will i get into engineering 1 ?!?!?!
Old 02-11-2011 at 09:39 PM   #2
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

If this was 3 years ago, I would say that you have a reasonable chance, but nowadays... I'm not so sure. Its hard to say what the cut off is exactly, but English is a pretty important decider in this case.

I wouldn't say you WON'T make the cutoff, but I would prepare yourself for the possibility that you will not get in.
Old 02-11-2011 at 09:40 PM   #3
GCSM
Half Life 3 Confirmed

Liked: 95 Times

as of right now Im going to guess that you wont get in with those marks. sorry. But if you can pull your marks up to that 83.5 avg your talking about you might have a chance. Just don't expect an early acceptance. Good Luck and don't give up!

Old 02-11-2011 at 09:41 PM   #4
L'Étoile
Tooth Fairy

Liked: 543 Times

I thought that there is a specific minimum mark for english to get accepted ... I think its 70% but I am not sure you should check with the admission office

McMaster University, Honours B.Sc. in Biology '13, Minor in Psychology

University of British Columbia, DMD '17, Doctor of Dental Medicine
Old 02-11-2011 at 09:53 PM   #5
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

last year acceptance i think was an 82% range. and after acceptance u had to maintain an 80. it hink now with the increase in mac applicants, the average is prob gona go up to 83 or 84 (assuming those applicant go into eng proportionally to the other main progs)
Old 02-11-2011 at 10:02 PM   #6
madhawatk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeoku View Post
last year acceptance i think was an 82% range. and after acceptance u had to maintain an 80. it hink now with the increase in mac applicants, the average is prob gona go up to 83 or 84 (assuming those applicant go into eng proportionally to the other main progs)
sooo do you think i can get in if i get those markss by april?
Old 02-11-2011 at 10:11 PM   #7
PHLN
Oink! Oink! Oink! Oink!

Liked: 506 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhawatk View Post
sooo do you think i can get in if i get those markss by april?
Nobody can guarantee you that... Ever!

All you can do is try your hardest to get the highest mark. That is it.

Speculation won't help and the stress will only waste your time.
Old 02-11-2011 at 10:22 PM   #8
BenTran

Liked: 3 Times

Hard to say. Two years ago the cut-off was 82% and you need to maintain a 79% average if u get an offer. What I am hearing is more students are choosing McMaster so the average is being bumped up this year, maybe around 83-84%. We cannot say that you can or can not get in to Mac with those marks since averages change every year since some years might have a surge in applicants.

So I hope you have a backup school just in-case you don't make it to mac since your pretty much on the border line in terms of averages.
Old 02-11-2011 at 10:36 PM   #9
macsci
Elite Member

Liked: 93 Times

55 in English? Come on, you can do better! Bring it up to a low 70 at least.
Old 02-11-2011 at 11:32 PM   #10
RememberTwce
Memento Mori

Liked: 878 Times

Night school + english = engineering next year
Old 02-11-2011 at 11:45 PM   #11
Boolean

Liked: 169 Times

They require functions aswell as english so they will drop biology out of the equation and use the required creds. To my knowledge at least.

functions
physics
english
chem
calc
comp sci

they could also drop compsci out and use bio since your bio is a higher mark. What I'm saying is a required course takes priority over an elective(even if the elective has a higher mark) top 6 calculation.

if(at_first_you_dont_su cceed) break;

Old 02-11-2011 at 11:56 PM   #12
KAB:)

Liked: 11 Times

I had a friend who got into Engineering here last year with a 79% average. She got accepted the very last day though, the day before you had to tell the Universities your decision, so by this point they were just filling empty spots. So don't count it out, you might get a late acceptance. Good luck!
Old 02-12-2011 at 04:57 AM   #13
Rubicon

Liked: 9 Times

I swear they dont use functions... tho anyways just do well and you dont have to worry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boolean View Post
They require functions aswell as english so they will drop biology out of the equation and use the required creds. To my knowledge at least...
Old 02-12-2011 at 08:02 AM   #14
madhawatk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubicon View Post
I swear they dont use functions... tho anyways just do well and you dont have to worry
yess like you saidd. . im more that 100% sure they dont use functionsss ...but honestlyy i know my other marks are good butt how can i make my english teacher make me give a 70% by april caz i dont think ill reach that since we are only doing one more essay till then..:(
Old 02-12-2011 at 08:32 AM   #15
peripheraL

2 things: Bring up your English average, and teach yourself integrals/multivariable calculus. http://www.patrickjmt.com

justinsftw, L'Étoile, mfattal all say thanks to peripheraL for this post.