MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Engineering I (Co-op) And residence questions! :) TabbishAziz First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 28 05-16-2011 06:50 PM
Engineering Questions mfattal First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 5 09-15-2010 08:39 PM
McMaster Engineering Launches Registration Tutorial Video Series Chad MacInsiders Announcements 1 06-05-2009 08:28 AM
Engineering 1C03 questions kenvin100 Academics 4 01-07-2009 03:02 PM
Engineering Pre-registration 2008 Workshops? MacEng First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 06-27-2008 12:32 PM

Engineering 1 Registration Questions

Old 06-23-2013 at 02:24 PM   #1
Nucleus

Liked: 6 Times

Engineering 1 Registration Questions
Registration for Engineering 1 students starts in approximately 9 hours and I just wanted some questions answered so that I'm well prepared when the time comes.

1. What's the difference between L01 and L02 or T01 and T02 when selecting labs and tutorials?

2. Which courses do you recommend I take in Term 1 and which courses do you recommend I take in Term 2?

3. Which courses should I take in the same term and which courses should I take in different terms? People have told me to take Engineer 1D04 and Engineer 1C03 in different terms as well as both my electives in 2 different terms. Any other course combinations I should be cautious of?

4. Which courses should I take in the morning and which courses should I take in the evening? I've been recommended to take all my Math courses in the morning so that I can get Dr.Mclean as my professor. Any other professors I should be looking forward to or staying away from?

I'd really appreciate it if you could take the time out to answer my questions and thanks for reading!
Old 06-23-2013 at 03:00 PM   #2
Bubbles1111

Liked: 19 Times

1. The difference between L01 and L02 are just different lab sections. You learn the same information and do the exact same material. The same goes for the tutorial sections. However, for courses where you have both labs and tutorials (ie. Physics), it is wise to choose the same section for both as they will occur at the same time slot every week (ie. L21 and T21)

2. For the majority of courses, the term is already pre-selected for you. The exceptions to this are Engineering 1C03 and Engineering 1D04 and your electives. For these courses, you will have to choose which term you want them in. My recommendation is to take Engineering 1D04 in first term and take Engineering 1C03 in second term.

3. From my experience as a first year, you do NOT want Engineering 1C03 in first term as you will have to do two projects in tandem during first term (Eng 1P03 and 1C03). Thus, take Engineering 1D04 in first term and Engineering 1C03 in second term. As for your electives, take one each term to distribute your course load evenly.

4. McLean is a god. He is the funniest prof out there and makes sure you understand every concept. His classes were a true blast. Also, get Zurob for Matls 1M03. He's another great prof. As for physics, I preferred Okon. He may be a little intimidating but his lectures were to the point and very effective. I believe everything else is has only one prof.

Best of luck in Engineering I and if you have any more questions, don't be afraid to ask!

Last edited by Bubbles1111 : 06-23-2013 at 03:11 PM.

Nucleus says thanks to Bubbles1111 for this post.

jim1, Smexy like this.
Old 06-23-2013 at 04:41 PM   #3
davkovacs

Liked: 0 Times

Hey bubbles, for an engineering student interested in management, what courses do I have to take? Do I only
Need to take one of the econ courses? Thanks for the help!
Old 06-23-2013 at 04:53 PM   #4
jim1
Elite Member

Liked: 360 Times

Yea you only need econ 1b03 but if you are interested in management you might as well just take another elective you like, like 1bb3 since it will be an average booster.

davkovacs says thanks to jim1 for this post.
Old 06-23-2013 at 05:11 PM   #5
DigitalE

How does my timetable look? Took me a while to figure out all the conflicts and get the teachers that are reviewed well.

timetablegenerator.co m/#kmgrhag

Not allowed to post urls yet so I attached the the file from the timetable generator.
Attached Files
File Type: xls timetable.xls (28.1 KB, 8 views)
Old 06-23-2013 at 05:14 PM   #6
davkovacs

Would you reccomend any good profs and/or other electives that
May make my schedule lighter? Thanks
Old 06-23-2013 at 05:59 PM   #7
jim1
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davkovacs View Post
Well, you only take 2 electives in first year so sticking with both econs would be a good idea for you especially since it's something you are interested in. If you want different electives just look them up in the search box on the home page. There are tons of "easy elective" threads around here.
Here is one of them:
http://www.macinsiders.com/showthrea...ight=electives

About profs, you can't really choose your profs but you can select a specific section for a course that is taught by a good prof.
Math >> Childs or McLean
physics >> Okon
matls >> Zurob
chem >> we had Barbier, he was terrible but you guys have a different one this year
c03 >> only 1 prof, he's alright
d04 (programming) >> 2 profs, Farmer is the easier one

Thats about it, if you want to know who teaches what, go here: https://adweb.cis.mcmaster.ca /mtt/
Just type in the course code and hit "search", it will tell you the name of the prof and what section they are teaching.

davkovacs says thanks to jim1 for this post.

davkovacs likes this.
Old 06-23-2013 at 06:25 PM   #8
Nucleus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1 View Post
Well, you only take 2 electives in first year so sticking with both econs would be a good idea for you especially since it's something you are interested in. If you want different electives just look them up in the search box on the home page. There are tons of "easy elective" threads around here.
Here is one of them:
http://www.macinsiders.com/showthrea...ight=electives

About profs, you can't really choose your profs but you can select a specific section for a course that is taught by a good prof.
Math >> Childs or McLean
physics >> Okon
matls >> Zurob
chem >> we had Barbier, he was terrible but you guys have a different one this year
c03 >> only 1 prof, he's alright
d04 (programming) >> 2 profs, Farmer is the easier one

Thats about it, if you want to know who teaches what, go here: https://adweb.cis.mcmaster.ca /mtt/
Just type in the course code and hit "search", it will tell you the name of the prof and what section they are teaching.
What do you mean by "you can select a specific section for a course that is taught by a good prof. "? Do the professors that you mentioned teach in the morning or evening? Also, who're the good profs for both econ courses? Do they teach in the morning or evening?
Old 06-23-2013 at 06:39 PM   #9
jim1
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucleus View Post
What do you mean by "you can select a specific section for a course that is taught by a good prof. "? Do the professors that you mentioned teach in the morning or evening? Also, who're the good profs for both econ courses? Do they teach in the morning or evening?
Well you can't select profs, you can only select sections (c01, c02, etc), so for example if you know that prof "Adam" teaches math c01 in term you, you can select c01 on solar and so on. You can't select profs on solar, only courses and sections.

Regarding your 2nd question, you can go here and check out what section a prof teaches. Your engineering courses are all day, except for like maybe p03 but even then it's only 1 prof for that course. The only courses that run during the evening are your electives like econ.

For econ, go with Holmes for 1b03 and O’Shaughnessy for 1bb3.

Last edited by jim1 : 06-23-2013 at 07:12 PM.
Old 06-23-2013 at 07:23 PM   #10
jim1
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalE View Post
How does my timetable look? Took me a while to figure out all the conflicts and get the teachers that are reviewed well.

timetablegenerator.co m/#kmgrhag

Not allowed to post urls yet so I attached the the file from the timetable generator.
The 8:30am classes suck because you have to wake up early for them, but you get to finish earlier i guess.

The 1 hour breaks are so useless since you can't really study or do much. You have some long breaks in term 1 and i guess it's a good thing for catching up/studying; make good use of that time!

As for the profs, it seems that you are lucky Zurob is amazing for matls, definitely go to all his classes! Also, try to be there in his class as early as possible since his lectures get filled up pretty quickly because people from different sections tend to go to his class
Old 06-23-2013 at 07:55 PM   #11
Bubbles1111

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1 View Post
Now it's Dumont. Dumont's okayy...he goes off topic A LOT. and he just reads his notes off in class. Sadly he's the only Chem 1E03 prof :( For you future engies, for this course the textbook is your friend.
Old 06-23-2013 at 08:00 PM   #12
Bubbles1111

Quote:
As jim said, econs are your best bet Just straight memorization and most of the topics are just common sense. And remember that you need Econ 1B03 for management programs.

Some people take Classics 1A03, Psych 1X03, and Lingustics 1A03 but the majority take econ

GOOOD LUCK ON SOLAR TONIGHT GUYS

davkovacs says thanks to Bubbles1111 for this post.
Old 06-23-2013 at 09:16 PM   #13
davkovacs

aren't we just choosing courses and which term they're in? we aren't choosing what time of day, right?
Old 06-23-2013 at 09:22 PM   #14
Nucleus

I made a timetable using all the advice given in this thread. I've attached it.

Link: timetablegenerator.co m/#lrod4x7

I'm not much of a morning person so I tried to limit early morning classes in term 2 as much as possible. I also tried to limit 1 hour breaks, prolonging them into 2-3 hours so that they can be useful. Since bubbles advised me to take 1D04 in the first term and 1C03 in the second, I'm going to have to take Smith instead of Farmer. Opinions on my timetable?
Attached Files
File Type: xls mac timetable final.xls (28.8 KB, 9 views)

Last edited by Nucleus : 06-23-2013 at 09:33 PM.
Old 06-23-2013 at 09:43 PM   #15
Bubbles1111

Quote:
aren't we just choosing courses and which term they're in? we aren't choosing what time of day, right?
Nope just the term. No sections or anything. Just the term.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucleus View Post
I made a timetable using all the advice given in this thread. I've attached it.

Link: timetablegenerator.co m/#lrod4x7

I'm not much of a morning person so I tried to limit early morning classes in term 2 as much as possible. I also tried to limit 1 hour breaks, prolonging them into 2-3 hours so that they can be useful. Since bubbles advised me to take 1D04 in the first term and 1C03 in the second, I'm going to have to take Smith instead of Farmer. Opinions on my timetable?
Looks good! And Smith is okay, I had him Some of the questions from his lectures appeared on the midterms. He's also the head of Engineering I!

davkovacs says thanks to Bubbles1111 for this post.