MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Engineering Questions mfattal First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 5 09-15-2010 08:39 PM
Laptop Questions (Engineering) MiniDragon First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 89 06-06-2010 10:14 PM
A Few Residence Questions...... shes-a-diva* Residence & Housing 21 01-19-2010 07:13 AM
Bates Residence Questions Daman K Bates Forum 4 09-03-2009 03:45 PM
Residence System Questions. Juicebox General Discussion 10 05-14-2009 06:38 PM

Engineering I (Co-op) And residence questions! :)

Old 05-14-2011 at 08:14 AM   #1
TabbishAziz

Liked: 0 Times

Engineering I (Co-op) And residence questions! :)
Hey guys I have been accepted recently Engineering I (Co-op) and I am going to attend McMaster this fall . I had a few questions that I hope you all can answer.

I looked around and i wasn't really able to find any discussions that answered my questions, so if there are any that answer my questions, sorry! :S

1: How much more difficult is engineering than high school? Pretty generic question, I wanted to know about Mac specifically about the Math, Physics, and Chemistry courses as well as the General Engineering design, programming and safety courses.

My grades are as follows, if it helps.
Calculus: 88 (class average is 60%, very tough teacher)
Physics 86% (Fair teacher)
Chemistry: 71 ( no excuse, i just slacked haha)
Advanced functions: 82
Law: 84
English: 86

2: What professors are the better ones for the first year CALC, PHYS, and CHEM courses? which professors are the worse? are they all good? XD

3: I'm thinking of taking the Engineering and Management option in 2nd year (Hopefully Civil Engineering and Management) and I have to take ECON 1B03, i believe is the course, how is it as an elective course in your opinion in terms of difficulty and how interesting it is? and i might be taking a course that is pertaining to photography, or digital media, any recommendations?

4: I am guaranteed residence if i maintain my admission offer, which Im certain i will. How likely is it that people usually get the room preferences that they desire? my first choice is a Double room with washroom and i really want that room, i don't wanna use the washroom down the hallway XD.

5: Does Engineering really impede on a social life? Or does it really depend on the type of person you are? Im not extremely social where i go out all the time, but i would hate being stuck in my room studying all the time XD.

Its alot of questions, and i hope you guys answer them, i did do a ton of research on my own but i wanted to hear from other students, hope to see other Engineering 2015/16 students in the fall!

THANKS!!

Anyone else have first year Engineering questions please feel free to post them here!
Old 05-14-2011 at 09:25 AM   #2
mikefung

Liked: 11 Times

3rd year Mech here

1. 1st year could be a joke for one person and impossible for others. It depends heavily on how you study. There are people coming into Mac with over 90% and got kick out, and there are people who got in with lower average and aced every course. High school don't really matters here. As a mere of fact, there are about 30% (Not sure if its a troll) people leave engineering after 1st year.
1st year courses are basically a review of high school stuff + a little bit more. The really big leap is workload. 6 courses a term isn't light. You'll have tests, multiple assignments, quizzes every week. Sometimes you'll write a test until 8pm, then start working on assignment that's due at midnight. Be sure to use your time wisely and you'll ace the courses.

2. For math courses, if Dr. Childs is teaching, go for him. He is so awesome LOL. Others I have no idea, 1st year profs do change quite frequently.

3. I took Econ 1B03 in my first year despite not thinking of management programs at all and never taken economic class before. As it turns out, its the easiest course I have ever taken at Mac (usually electives screw my GPA). If possible, take 1BB3 as well (Macro econ). Also a fairly easy course.

4. I had the 9th choice on my room preference, some of my friends had their 12th choice....maybe applying earlier will help.

5. I'll leave this to others to answer since I'm an inert person myself...Mac Eng has tons of clubs and event that you can go to so make sure you check those out.

Good luck at Mac!!

TabbishAziz says thanks to mikefung for this post.

TabbishAziz likes this.
Old 05-14-2011 at 09:49 AM   #3
Talon89

Liked: 14 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabbishAziz View Post
Hey guys I have been accepted recently Engineering I (Co-op) and I am going to attend McMaster this fall . I had a few questions that I hope you all can answer.

I looked around and i wasn't really able to find any discussions that answered my questions, so if there are any that answer my questions, sorry! :S
First off, Welcome to McMaster! You've made a great choice and Mac is an awesome place to be (a little biased) for engineering. Usually all the questions are asked on facebook, I made a thread yesterday about a facebook group that we just started, you can find it here:

http://www.macinsiders.com/showthrea...-16-42666.html

Quote:
1: How much more difficult is engineering than high school? Pretty generic question, I wanted to know about Mac specifically about the Math, Physics, and Chemistry courses as well as the General Engineering design, programming and safety courses.

My grades are as follows, if it helps.
Calculus: 88 (class average is 60%, very tough teacher)
Physics 86% (Fair teacher)
Chemistry: 71 ( no excuse, i just slacked haha)
Advanced functions: 82
Law: 84
English: 86
The jump from university is huge in the sense of workload. Everything also comes at you much faster, I remember for first year calculus my professor pretty much taught all of grade 12 in about a week maybe two weeks max (don't let this scare you). You'll get into integrals, other ways to solve limits, sequences and series. Second term math(s) build on first term, everything is new and you'll begin to solve simple differential equations. Physics is divided into two, one being your mechanics course (FBDs, kinematics, rolling motion, etc.) and the 2nd physics is your electromagnetics course (Faraday's law, flux, Ohm's law, etc.).

Chemistry was pretty much a review of grade 12. It was very introductory (stoichiometry, balancing equations, periodic table, etc.). Of course, these were like this when I was in first year, they might have changed over the years so if someone else could confirm that'd be great, but generally this is what you'll expect out of these courses.

Engineering design is a sketching/3D modeling course. You'll have weekly tutorials where you will sketch various drawings of mechanical parts and you'll also have weekly labs in which you use Autodesk Inventor for 3D modeling. You can model something as simple as a wheel to a crank shaft. You'll do a term project in a group for this course. In general, this seems to be one of the more easier courses in 1st year. There's no math/physics involved.

Programming, you guys will learn a new language called Python. I personally have never worked with it myself but I heard it's very easy to learn and more practical than the other languages learned in the past. Generally, if you've done any type of programming in high school, you should be fine. If not, then you'll just have to work a little bit harder. Programming comes naturally for some and others avoid it like the plague. So it really depends on you.

That safety course that you take in first year is literally 2 hours long. You watch a few videos on proper safety behaviour in labs and what to do during emergencies and then you write an online test (about 20-30 questions) and if you score like 90+ (correct me if I'm wrong) you pass the course. This course is VERY easy, most of it is common sense.

Quote:
2: What professors are the better ones for the first year CALC, PHYS, and CHEM courses? which professors are the worse? are they all good? XD
In my opinion, Dr. Childs and Dr. McLean are top notch for first year calculus. They're funny, they know their stuff and teach it very well. Physics and Chemistry professors change so often so I can't tell you which ones are "good."

Quote:
3: I'm thinking of taking the Engineering and Management option in 2nd year (Hopefully Civil Engineering and Management) and I have to take ECON 1B03, i believe is the course, how is it as an elective course in your opinion in terms of difficulty and how interesting it is? and i might be taking a course that is pertaining to photography, or digital media, any recommendations?
Engineering and Management is a great program and really unique to McMaster. One of the reasons why I chose Mac! Econ 1B03 is very very easy. The class average in my year was around a 10 which is an A-. If you have Hannah Holmes, you're set. I don't know your study habits but usually everyone does well in this course. You learn about the laws of supply and demand, elasticity, etc. It can be interesting course if you want to be. Generally, if you enjoy photography and media, take those courses. If you're looking for an easy course then usually the Econs and Linguistics are easy.

Quote:
4: I am guaranteed residence if i maintain my admission offer, which Im certain i will. How likely is it that people usually get the room preferences that they desire? my first choice is a Double room with washroom and i really want that room, i don't wanna use the washroom down the hallway XD.
Usually people get the room that they want but the whole residence thing work as a lottery so there is still a chance that you won't get what you want. This is the best answer I can give you.

Quote:
5: Does Engineering really impede on a social life? Or does it really depend on the type of person you are? Im not extremely social where i go out all the time, but i would hate being stuck in my room studying all the time XD.
Engineering impedes on your social life if you allow it to. If you have good study habits and on top of everything then you should not have any problems going out to events or just hanging out with friends. Make sure you come out to frosh week though, you'll meet a whole bunch of people, many of which may be your best friends for the rest of your life! You can also form a study groups with the people on your floor/rez and you guys will support each other throughout the year, but you're right. It really depends on the type of person you are.

Quote:
Its alot of questions, and i hope you guys answer them, i did do a ton of research on my own but i wanted to hear from other students, hope to see other Engineering 2015/16 students in the fall!

THANKS!!

Anyone else have first year Engineering questions please feel free to post them here!
It wasn't a problem. We're here to help you with your transition to university. You'll see a lot more of us (redsuits) come September. It'll be a sweet time! Remember, join that facebook group if you haven't done so already and invite all your friends that are coming to Mac Eng. Other upper year students that don't lurk these forums will answer your questions there. Good luck! Have a great summer!

TabbishAziz says thanks to Talon89 for this post.

TabbishAziz likes this.
Old 05-14-2011 at 10:15 AM   #4
nila*

Liked: 52 Times

going to Forth year Elec and Biomed:

1. I agree with what the person above has said, it really depends on the person. For chemistry, I personally felt that it was a lot of review of high school concepts but more in depth. The first semester physics should also be a review of high school concepts (mechanics and dynamics) but the tests are rather tricky and require a lot of studying (overconfidence will kill you). For calculus they have changed the curriculum around quite a bit in for both high school and first years so I think its safer if a second year student answers that one.

A lot of people end up doing poorly in first year math, I highly suggest reviewing your high school notes before September and maybe even trying to look ahead. They cover material very fast in first year and you don't want to fall behind before you even start.

2. You'll quickly learn that "good" profs are few and far between in first year, its usually unavoidable.

3. I took econ 1b03 and found it really really easy. Shouldn't be a problem if you keep up. When I took it the tests were 100% multiple choice and very straight forward.

4. I got my first choice both years I was in res, so....I dunno how that works.

5. Mac engineering has tons of social events and clubs so if you want to get out there you can

good luck and welcome to mac!

Last edited by nila* : 05-14-2011 at 10:27 AM.

TabbishAziz says thanks to nila* for this post.

TabbishAziz likes this.
Old 05-14-2011 at 10:26 AM   #5
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

3rd Year Elec Eng (going to 4th).

Honestly, first year was pretty tough. But that was because I had too much fun and wasted alot of time. Ex. I played over 500 games of pool with my roommate, plus many many more with other people in res, ping pong, etc.

It doesnt really matter on the prof's you get, just try to get Childs for math. Even if you dont get him, just attend his lectures, not a big deal.

Make sure you space your time well and you will be able to do whatever you want and maintain a decent average. Most of us found first year hard cause it was a huge change from highschool, and we thought that putting off the work till later wouldnt make a difference... but it did :p

Just try your best, have fun, and aim for a good avg and it will work out!

Good Luck and welcome to Mac

TabbishAziz says thanks to blackdragon for this post.

TabbishAziz likes this.
Old 05-14-2011 at 10:57 AM   #6
TabbishAziz

Wow thanks SO MUCH guys! that was EXTREAMLY helpfull! and i have a question, do you guys know if they take how early you apply to residence into account when allocating rooms and roomates? or is it done purely by random lottery?

I dont think i have a very great work ethic, how i got good grades in high school was for calculus id try my best to do all or some of the homework everyday, but 2 days before the test i would go to the library with a group and study. so i would spend 2 days at the lib like 5-7 hrs(each lib day+distractions) studying for the test , and it gets me pretty good results, I dont have a teacher that just gives away marks at all so thats good.

I think my main worry is physics, i have a hard time understanding things when they are inclined at angles, but then again i don't work as hard in physics as i do in math, which i should change. Im sure ill get the hang of it! how did your marks change when you guys came first year?

Last edited by TabbishAziz : 05-14-2011 at 11:00 AM.
Old 05-14-2011 at 10:59 AM   #7
MiniDragon

Liked: 60 Times

Good questions.

In terms of work, the material isn't that much harder than high school. Do your work and you'll be fine. For the first half of the first semester, its basically all grade 12 (And people still fail =/). Second semester physics is nasty. Materials kimd of sucks but if you get the hang of it it isn't quite so bad. 1P03 first semester will make you cry of boredom.
For teachers:

Physics - Okon. Mckay is fine, but Okon is a lot better.

Math - Dr. Childs for 1ZA3 AND 1ZB3. Best teacher of first year. Ben Mares is fine too, but really, try to get Childs. 1ZC3 go for McLean. He's not my favourite, but he gets the job done.

Chem - You'll be teaching the course to yourself, but most of it is grade 12 stuff, but about 10% harder. (As in, if you got an 80 in grade 12, you'll get a 70). or maybe 15% harder. Meh.

Materials is not a bird course. Do not go in thinking that it is a bird course. Practice the questions and you'll be fine. The cheat sheet doesn't help as much as you think.

Econ 1B03 - I'm taking it now. Its easy so far. I took Macroecon last semester. It wasn't very hard (And its supposed to be harder than micro). Don't worry about it.

For residence, you only get to chose if you have a 95+ average, which you don't, unfortunately. So you only get to pick room preferences, not even the building you want. Do not be upset and do something stupid like drop out of res if you don't get what you want! I didn't get what I wanted and I had a blast, crappy roommate # 2 aside. Whiddens awesome. Hope for that. Les Prince is too far from commons and class. Speaking of commons, get ready to be eating the same food 5 times a week, every week.

Engineering doesn't really affect your social life too bad. You won't be able to go out and get drunk every night like other students, and when they say 'Omg I have so much work,' you will want to smack them. Don't just stay in your room. GO out and make friends. Especially with your neighbors. Mine were awesome, and both engineers. In Whidden the engineers formed a bit of a group and did stuff together (Homework, assignments, went out for fun, etc)

TabbishAziz says thanks to MiniDragon for this post.

TabbishAziz likes this.
Old 05-14-2011 at 11:03 AM   #8
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

Quote:
...i would go to the library with a group and study. so i would spend 2 days at the lib like 5-7 hrs(each lib day+distractions) studying for the test , and it gets me pretty good results...
You will be doing this ALOT during your 4-5 years in eng. But, be prepared, sometimes 5-7hrs for 2-3 days might not be enough at all... but sometimes it will be more than enough :p

*Cough EE 3EJ4, EE 3TQ4... exams ripped us a new one, literally*
Old 05-14-2011 at 11:19 AM   #9
TabbishAziz

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdragon View Post
You will be doing this ALOT during your 4-5 years in eng. But, be prepared, sometimes 5-7hrs for 2-3 days might not be enough at all... but sometimes it will be more than enough :p

*Cough EE 3EJ4, EE 3TQ4... exams ripped us a new one, literally*
Haha, i dont mind doing that, i prefer this method of studying way over than studying alone.

Could anyone explain to me how to read the course codes?

like ENG 1P03
CHEM 1E03
MATH 1Z03
PHYS 1D03

Why are these diffrent?
Old 05-14-2011 at 11:24 AM   #10
MiniDragon

Liked: 60 Times

The letters represent the subject, obviously. The number at the end is the number of units (Usuually 3). The number at the beginning is the year. So ENG 1P03 would be a first year course, 3 units, with the subject of engineering. As for the letters in between, ignore them.
Old 05-14-2011 at 11:58 AM   #11
TabbishAziz

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniDragon View Post
The letters represent the subject, obviously. The number at the end is the number of units (Usuually 3). The number at the beginning is the year. So ENG 1P03 would be a first year course, 3 units, with the subject of engineering. As for the letters in between, ignore them.
Ahh i see, thanks! But dont they mean like day or evening? then then again whats the "Z" in the math courses
Old 05-14-2011 at 12:13 PM   #12
mikefung

Liked: 11 Times

the "Z" is just an identification of the course as there are many 1st year math courses, which also have the pattern Math 1__3. E.g. Math 1A03, Math 1M03, Math 1LS3, and so on.

Same principle for all other courses.
Old 05-14-2011 at 12:22 PM   #13
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,314 Times

The only thing that matters in first year engineering is developing effective study habits. Keep ahead of the readings or suggested practice problems if you can, and you're set. Everything else you asked you'll end up learning about through trial and error. (I didn't really know about or inquire about the sorts of things you are, on MI or anywhere else)
Old 05-14-2011 at 12:32 PM   #14
alh24
Elite Member

Liked: 243 Times

To my understanding (unless it's changed in a couple years since I was in residence), the residence lottery is done all at once - so long as you submit your deposit and form by the deadline, you're not disadvantaged compared to the students who submitted it really early.

If you're submitting after the deadline, however, you're pretty unlikely to get the room preference you want. Double room with a washroom is a good choice! I was in Les Prince in my first year, and the distance is exaggerated. It's barely farther than Hedden Hall, and it's a 10 minute walk from classes, at most. Even if it were longer, it's worth it for the huge rooms and private washrooms.

As for the first-year Economics courses, they're fairly easy, yes. Probably easier than most electives you could take.
Old 05-14-2011 at 01:09 PM   #15
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 526 Times

for you id say pretty hard. to succeed in eng 1, u kinda have to be good in everything. if u lack in one area u lose time workin gon stuff in another area. plus thers new stuff u may not have done beforesuch as drawing, programming and one more im forgetting. thus, try to be well rounded in all subjects else ull fall behind. although there is options to drop stuff and do it in summer so u have nmore time.

Chem prof: only one
Math prof: Childs is the best for lectures, Mares imo is good for 1on1 help
Physics: Okon hands down

Just fyi, u chose the most competitive choices to get into. Management is very competitive as a supplementary degree plus u chose civil (one of the top 3) thus the compeition for second year is like a 7-8 (thats like a high 70 low 80 ish). That aside, 1B03 is micro econ. if u took business or econmics, this will be a breeze. most of the stuff past students have the answers and it is reused (assignments and quizzes). if u read the slides (which are exact same as lecture so not worth going to) u'll get a decent mark in this course (got a 10). in terms of interest it depends on how much u like econ, althogh the prof for it is terrible

Room choice is hard to say. if u request to be with a friend ull get that no matter what. But since residence is lottery based (all beginning at deadline for res), the buildings u get is varied. The with washroom is a private washroom which u have to clean urself so its kinda up to preference. IDK what i got but my washroom was shared with the floor but i only shared with like 5 others and it was like 3 rooms : 1 washroom (not like community centre where whole floor shares that one washroom) so it really depends on luck

eng socialing is very easy. tons of stuff being held all the time. whether u want to go is up to u. like people always say, school > all so if u are behind just dont go. u can get away with it during frosh/frost week but try to make it ur judgement call

Ur study habits will be the general of most eng students. spend a junk load of time doing homework (or cram it before the test) and go in study groups to do past papers (VERY KEY) before tests. students will leak past papers to each other so make sure u find them (i have most ) from the sounds of it, if u keep up ur math habit, ull be fine for the first 2 math courses, linear algebra just sucks. im the same as u in physics, which is why i failed and doing it again now.. if i were u , find a good phys tutour , do all the capas and textbook problems, read the textbook, since all the test material is from there (almost exactly)

Course reading is written like this
Subject____Year,Branc h,extended branch??,units
So for Math 1ZB3, you are taking mathematics, first year, engineering branch of math, the second part of it, worht 3 units.
ENG 1P03: Things to note: Professional engineering
CHEM 1E03 Engineering version of first year chem
MATH 1Z03 this is actually split into 1z(a-c)3
PHYS 1D03 mechanical physics (other u take is 1e03)

Any more questions gime a shout

Last edited by Leeoku : 05-14-2011 at 01:19 PM.