MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
dropping 6 unit course theboywho2 Academics 1 12-26-2013 12:23 AM
MSAF on exam in a 6 unit course BrittyBee77 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 7 11-29-2013 07:30 AM
9-unit Thesis _Mike Academics 7 05-28-2012 07:15 PM
6 unit course.. xsanx Academics 13 04-15-2010 10:14 AM

Engineering 1 Unit Requirements

Old 09-05-2014 at 04:39 PM   #1
Redfire66

Liked: 0 Times

Engineering 1 Unit Requirements
I read that there were 31 required units, but then I found that there was a total of 37 units as well. I have a few friends who are in Engineering 1 but are taking a few different things than myself. I've gone through a few days and there hasn't been any notifications or anything; currently I have 5 courses per semester (16 units + 15 units for 31 of the required units). When I registered earlier in the summer trying to add electives it said I had a full schedule so I continued and it seems okay. But now some of my friends in the same program have 2 more courses than me (2 electives). I'm not sure but do I need to have the 2 extra electives? Since my schedule seems really crowded already and it seems like a pain to actually try to add some in now that I can't even get the courses that I wasn't allowed to add even though it wasn't full until now.
Edit: I'm just wondering if it would be okay to stay with only 31 of the required courses and still finish the program

Last edited by Redfire66 : 09-05-2014 at 04:47 PM.
Old 09-05-2014 at 04:54 PM   #2
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

I don't know where you're getting your information from, but it seems like it's either not accurate or you're not understanding it properly.
You need your 31 units of required courses, which I assume you have. You also need 6 units of electives from a specific list before you graduate. Most people take them in first year, for a total of 37 units, but I think you can take them at any time.
However, when applying for second-year programs, the number of units you take is taken into account, so a higher average with 31 units may not "beat" a lower average with 37 units - at least, that is how it used to work; I'm not sure if things have changed.
I'm not sure where you saw that your schedule is "full", but I've never seen a message like that before. You should have been able to add electives at the same time you were picking the rest of your courses. You should probably see an academic advisor if you're this confused.
Old 09-05-2014 at 05:13 PM   #3
Redfire66

Just to clarify this, so I can take these 6 units during my other years? For example taking the 6 elective courses during 2nd or 3rd year into my program
Old 09-05-2014 at 05:36 PM   #4
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

Yes summer or later on. Make sure they are easy courses or ones you will do well to boost ur grade

Redfire66 says thanks to Leeoku for this post.
Old 09-05-2014 at 05:37 PM   #5
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

I think so - like I said, you should speak with an academic advisor, so that you know all of the repercussions of not taking the electives this year (such as needing a higher CA for second-year programs, overloading in 2nd or 3rd year, etc). The information should also be in the course calendar.

Most people choose to get them out of the way in first year, because you'll be busy enough in later years and have a very full courseload even without the electives. In most cases, it doesn't get any easier to fit them in.

Redfire66 says thanks to starfish for this post.
Old 09-05-2014 at 07:41 PM   #6
alex47

Hey redfire66

You should always refer to the Undergraduate Student Calendar for the official requirements and regulations, do not always rely on what he hear or are told as gospel.

You are required to take a total of 37 units, that is 31 units of compulsive courses and 6 units of electives from a prescribed list.

http://academiccalendars.rom cmaste...id=7&poid=4308

Admission to Level II Engineering Programs
Your admission into 2nd year engineering is determined on a completive basis, based on your CA and points from these 37 units, by not completing your electives in first year may put you on a competitive disadvantage and you may not get into the stream of your choice.

http://academiccalendars.rom cmaste...ret urnto=563

http://academiccalendars.rom cmaste...id=7&poid=4308

http://www.eng.mcmaster.ca/eng1/level2.html
Old 09-06-2014 at 02:48 PM   #7
mythbuster06

Liked: 1 Time

You will still need to complete a certain number of units of complementary studies electives in your upper years of engineering as well. There is flexibility as to when you actually take them, but they need to be done (in addition to the six you are currently lacking from Eng 1) to finish your degree.

If you're hesitant about taking them during the year, you can take them in summer school. You may want to consider doing them sooner rather than later, since upper year Engineering gets very difficult and very time-consuming very quickly.