MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Review Review Starter Category Comments Last Post
First Year Engineering: 1P03, 1C03 and 1D04. ruffy General Discussion 7 07-08-2009 06:00 PM
Engineering 1P03 aj-maxx First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 17 12-15-2008 07:29 AM

Engineering 1P03

Engineering 1P03
Introduction to Professional Engineering
Published by ericvan1
05-24-2009
Published by

Author review
Overall Rating
80%80%80%
Professor Rating
90%90%90%
Interest
100%100%100%
Easiness
100%100%100%
Average 93%
Engineering 1P03

Required course for 1st year engineering students. This course is intended to introduce students to the practice of professional engineering.

This is the only 1st year engineer course that spans both terms. One lecture a week. This course teaches you what to do with all the technical skills you are learning. Teaches the design process and how to come up with ideas. Quite a few interesting lectures about cutting edge technologies. Prof. is Dr. Robert V Fleisig, he is a good speaker and picks interesting topics.

There are only 4 essay-type assignments in the first term which are based on the textbook. The term 2 design project adds a 2 hour tutorial every week and is a group based presentation.

Textbook: Engineering Design - A Project Based Introduction, 3rd Ed. Dym and Little, Pub. by Wiley, 2009

Marking:
Term 1 Assignments - 10%
Midterm Exam - 25%
Term 2 Design Project - 40%
Final Exam - 25%

mfattal, xxsumz all say thanks to ericvan1 for this post.
Deleted Post
Edit/Delete Message
Click here to add your own review for Engineering 1P03!

Old 05-26-2009 at 10:59 AM   #2
AnguishedEnd
Elite Member

Liked: 103 Times
I found this course to be one of the easiest of the mandatory Engineering courses and was fun in the second term. In first term you do 4 assignments, not very long essay assignments but around 1-2 pages answering questions on a range of topics (ie. PEO code of ethics, lecture topics). They were very short assignments because the marks were mostly for following instructions (ie. proper spelling/grammer/font, citation/page format, using Turnitin etc...).

The second term was when the tutorials started and the course was a little bit more fun. First project in tutorials was a paper bridge contest. Each group was given about a week to build a bridge entirely out of newspaper and tape and during tutorial each bridge would be tested by placing washers on it. One group's bridge held up a chair, math textbook, chem textbook and was still standing lol...
For the final project your given several weeks to research, do a report, and make a prototype/model on a problem statement YOUR group chooses. Last tutorial you do a quick 5-10min presentation on your project.

Overall a really fun and interesting course.
Old 04-12-2010 at 10:06 PM   #3
iby242

Liked: 0 Times
course is not hard but i still didn't quite like it because of mediocre marks for group work (most didn't do anything and got away with it). sample practice questions were introduced only last minute (sort of half baked) instead of timing their release with lectures.
Old 04-15-2010 at 08:10 PM   #4
mse369

Liked: 9 Times
I think someone should do another course review for this, since its changed this year around.
I would volunteer if it wasn't for exam season!

Old 06-23-2010 at 11:23 PM   #5
MacPack
Offical Deal Blogger
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 160 Times
how did it change. Can someone update please!
Old 06-26-2010 at 10:28 PM   #6
Milka

Why is it that the course spans both terms when it's (apparently) only 3 units?
Old 06-26-2010 at 10:32 PM   #7
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milka View Post
Why is it that the course spans both terms when it's (apparently) only 3 units?
In the undergraduate calendar it says it's 1 term.
Old 06-27-2010 at 12:31 AM   #8
mse369

Yeah, I believe they've changed it up for next year.
This past year it was a full year-3 unit course while Math was 2 4/5 unit courses (9 in total).
But since next year math will become 3-3 unit courses, meaning 2 maths will be in one term (presumably the first term) the cut down PEng to one term only..

Milka says thanks to mse369 for this post.
Old 06-27-2010 at 11:55 AM   #9
MacPack
Offical Deal Blogger
MacInsiders Staff

But they arent changing the course material and projects right?
Old 06-27-2010 at 04:33 PM   #10
Rstevenson

Liked: 25 Times
I dont know how you would fit that whole project and the first term assignments into one term.
Old 06-27-2010 at 05:39 PM   #11
MacPack
Offical Deal Blogger
MacInsiders Staff

I hope they reduce the load. I know last year it was 2 terms, one lecture a week. Now its one lecture for one term.
Old 06-27-2010 at 07:14 PM   #12
Milka

Quote:
Originally Posted by mse369 View Post
Yeah, I believe they've changed it up for next year.
This past year it was a full year-3 unit course while Math was 2 4/5 unit courses (9 in total).
But since next year math will become 3-3 unit courses, meaning 2 maths will be in one term (presumably the first term) the cut down PEng to one term only..
Why would two maths be in the first term? I would like to take two in the second term, but does it matter?
Old 06-28-2010 at 12:20 AM   #13
MacPack
Offical Deal Blogger
MacInsiders Staff

Yes 1A3 is only term 1 While 1zb3 and 1zc3 are second term only
Old 06-28-2010 at 06:50 PM   #14
mse369

Oh my bad, I assumed the maths would be first term, but from what you guys are saying it's not?
Can someone that's enrolled in all their classes tell me how classes are setup this coming year?

Either way from what I've heard from kids I know helping out Dr Fleisig, they're definitely going to cut down the assignments that we had in first term last year, and keep the project (but again that's only what I've heard). Which is understandable since the project was my favorite part of the course and possibly the year haha, it was a great learning experience and fun, but intense (especially if you had a bad group).
Old 08-07-2010 at 04:34 PM   #15
Anojan

Second term is mostly based on the project mark. It all depends on your group and your T.A. I knew some friends that had easy T.A.'s and ended up boosting their marks. I was on the unlucky end.

Review Tools Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search