MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
failed a course alittlelamb First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 02-25-2012 04:25 AM
failed eng. what do i do? :'C jon.john23 Academics 13 05-30-2011 06:49 PM
Failed a Engineering Course killerbeatz First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 30 01-10-2011 11:04 PM
failed course? sana.banana Academics 6 12-24-2010 09:50 PM
Failed Course Banshee Academics 14 04-19-2010 05:58 PM

Engineering Course Failed

Old 01-03-2013 at 09:59 AM   #1
arjungosain

Liked: 0 Times

Engineering Course Failed
I'm enrolled in Mechatronics and management 2nd year and i failed Eng 2p04. Its not a prerequisite to any of my upeer year courses, neither does it affect my GPA very drastically. So do i need to repeat it?
Old 01-03-2013 at 10:34 AM   #2
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 459 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjungosain View Post
I'm enrolled in Mechatronics and management 2nd year and i failed Eng 2p04. Its not a prerequisite to any of my upeer year courses, neither does it affect my GPA very drastically. So do i need to repeat it?
If it was a mandatory course, then yes you'll need to repeat it.
Old 01-03-2013 at 10:49 AM   #3
arjungosain

Liked: 0 Times

how do i know if its a mandatory course?
Old 01-03-2013 at 10:49 AM   #4
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

Yes.

http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /CALEN...nt/pg1230.html
Old 01-03-2013 at 10:52 AM   #5
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 459 Times

Quote:
View the link BD posted. For your own sake, please know what courses each year for you are mandatory or not. It might help with goal setting, if not anything else.
Old 01-03-2013 at 10:54 AM   #6
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

Quote:
You should know which courses are mandatory and which aren't when you register for courses...otherwise how did you pick what courses to register in??

It's all in the course calendar but you need to look at the course calendar for the year that you entered the program in. Required courses can change year-to-year, you must meet the required courses that were listed when you entered the program.

This can also be found on your degree audit, but it's good to double-check to make sure there aren't any discrepancies, because sometimes the degree audit doesn't totally agree with the course calendar. If that's the case then you need to bring it to the attention of an advisor in your faculty.

biglandfarm likes this.
Old 01-03-2013 at 12:21 PM   #7
jim1
Elite Member

Liked: 360 Times

A lot of people fail 2p04, few years ago it used to be offered in summer school, but not anymore. So most likely you will be taking it again next year, even if it is not a prerequisite to anything.

Since you are in management, try to take the first term-3rd year commerce/management courses this summer. That way you can (hopefully) fit 2p04 in your schedule in 3rd year.
If these courses are not offered in summer school, try and push some of these courses into 4th year. I am not entirely sure how flexible you can be with your schedule, but I know people in management who sometimes had a year where most of their courses were commerce courses and then the following year they focused on their core eng courses. Again, I am not sure how things are going to work out for you, but try to speak with Jeanne Hopkins, I think she’s the upper year eng advisor. Try to contact her; she might be able to help you out. Or you could speak with someone from your department that is involved with academic matters.

Last edited by jim1 : 01-03-2013 at 05:34 PM.
Old 01-03-2013 at 04:49 PM   #8
Snowman
Elite Member

Liked: 180 Times

Failing courses while in mgmt is lots of fun to deal with if you have to take online courses, since you aren't allowed to take commerce courses online due to an agreement with the business department (you are allowed to take them through Mac summer school, but that is not an option for all of us that live further). You can take electives or econ online, so I took Macroecon online through Athabasca which worked out well for me, and then retaking the course the following year