Failed Course Banshee Academics 14 04-19-2010 05:58 PM
Failed! ??? BT23 Academics 41 07-03-2009 07:33 PM

failed course?

Old 12-24-2010 at 09:25 PM   #1
sana.banana

Liked: 0 Times

failed course?
Hello!
I have some questions regarding failed courses that are required for specific programs.

1) if a term 1 course that is a prerequisite for a term 2 course is failed, obviously the term 2 course cant be taken because the prerequisite is not passed. If i contact the student advisors and ask them to allow me to take the 2nd term course, and make up the failed course over the summer, will they allow me to do that? Should the term 2 prof for that class be contacted??? (what if i give them specific reasons - i want to know whether they can be convinced - any opinion will be greatly appreciated!!)

2) If the failed course is a requisite course, and upon taking it again, i get a score of 12 on it. How will the final mark for that course be calculated?

3) how many courses (including failed and non-failed) courses can be taken over the summer?

_____________________ _______________
and on a happy note, MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE
Old 12-24-2010 at 09:32 PM   #2
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

You have to go see your professor for the Term 2 course and get a course waiver for it, there is no other way around that. If the professor says no, your out of luck.

If you get the waiver, you can take the antireq course and get whatever mark you end up with, the fail in the previous course doesnt affect that mark.
Old 12-24-2010 at 09:35 PM   #3
sana.banana

Liked: 0 Times

sorry i dont get what u mean by this:
"If you get the waiver, you can take the antireq course and get whatever mark you end up with, the fail in the previous course doesnt affect that mark."
Old 12-24-2010 at 09:36 PM   #4
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by sana.banana View Post
Hello!
I have some questions regarding failed courses that are required for specific programs.

1) if a term 1 course that is a prerequisite for a term 2 course is failed, obviously the term 2 course cant be taken because the prerequisite is not passed. If i contact the student advisors and ask them to allow me to take the 2nd term course, and make up the failed course over the summer, will they allow me to do that? Should the term 2 prof for that class be contacted??? (what if i give them specific reasons - i want to know whether they can be convinced - any opinion will be greatly appreciated!!)

2) If the failed course is a requisite course, and upon taking it again, i get a score of 12 on it. How will the final mark for that course be calculated?

3) how many courses (including failed and non-failed) courses can be taken over the summer?

_____________________ _______________
and on a happy note, MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE
If you retake it and get a 12, the 0 won't go away--the two will be averaged (so you'll get a 6).

I don't remember how many courses can be taken during the summer. I think it's 3 or something, but I'm not sure.
Old 12-24-2010 at 09:43 PM   #5
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

You probably won't be able to take the second course if you failed the prerequisite in first term. But I would contact the professor anyway and try to get a waiver. You can take a maximum of 4 3-unit courses in the summer by the way. 2 in the sprint term (starts in may-June) and 2 in the summer term (July-August). And if you get a 12 in a repeat of the failed course, you're transcript will show both grades, as well as their average, so it would be a 6.

sana.banana says thanks to ~*Sara*~ for this post.
Old 12-24-2010 at 09:46 PM   #6
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*Sara*~ View Post
You probably won't be able to take the second course if you failed the prerequisite in first term.

Thats not true. Just go see the professor and explain your situation, say you will try harder for his/her course. I know many people have done it.

I am taking a course next term I don't have the prerequisite for since the prereq isnt a mandatory course for me. I just went to see the prof, he asked me a few questions, and then signed the waiver.
Old 12-24-2010 at 09:50 PM   #7
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdragon View Post
Thats not true. Just go see the professor and explain your situation, say you will try harder for his/her course. I know many people have done it.

I am taking a course next term I don't have the prerequisite for since the prereq isnt a mandatory course for me. I just went to see the prof, he asked me a few questions, and then signed the waiver.
That's why I said she should contact the professor anyway. I know a couple of people who were successful and others who weren't with Chem 1A03/1AA3. But I would definitely try anyway, there's nothing to lose.