MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
To fail, or not to fail? That is the question... sniderj Academics 13 04-22-2010 06:09 PM
what happens if you fail a course.. xsanx Academics 13 04-21-2010 09:57 PM
Fail, Fail, Fail??? nikJ Academics 1 01-03-2010 01:52 AM
fail?? nikJ Academics 5 10-26-2009 09:05 PM
mega fail dadanny Academics 1 12-11-2008 02:13 PM

Engineering Fail???

Old 09-20-2010 at 11:42 AM   #16
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,656 Times

The drop out rate is ~30% after first year. I believe the number of those that actually make it through to getting a degree though is probably only like 50% of those who originally entered.
Old 09-20-2010 at 11:43 AM   #17
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by eullwm View Post
It would be nice if more people got the boot, especially those that deserve it. I'm tired of smelly, cheating twats in my classes. Yes, I can hear you talking about how you cheated on the presentation of your code. Congratulations. Want a medal for being too stupid to do the actual assignment yourself?
The worst is people who spend so much time attempting to get answers from others that the amount of work they put into it out weighs the work actually required to do the assignment itself.
Old 09-20-2010 at 11:48 AM   #18
Aftermath

Liked: 5 Times

About 2/3s move on from first year to second year.
Included in the 1/3 of students who do not are ones who have either failed, decided that engineering is not for them, transferred or failed math/some other course and will retake over the summer to try to make it into second year.
So all things considered, the number who actually completely flunk out is not as high as 35%.
Old 09-20-2010 at 01:26 PM   #19
Commander
P.I.M.P

Liked: 63 Times

That's what Selection is about. You see it in nature, in the military... Not all of engineering students can become engineers even if they wanted and tried too. Most of them probably could but not all. Same thing for medical doctors but that's tougher.
Old 09-20-2010 at 01:52 PM   #20
chappy89

Liked: 149 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
The worst is people who spend so much time attempting to get answers from others that the amount of work they put into it out weighs the work actually required to do the assignment itself.
like the people last year trolling the eng forums till 11:59 hitting F5 over and over with their foreheads because they were simply trying to avoid work :p
Old 09-20-2010 at 02:18 PM   #21
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by chappy89 View Post
like the people last year trolling the eng forums till 11:59 hitting F5 over and over with their foreheads because they were simply trying to avoid work :p
lol, I remember the admin was like "I should just close the forum right now to freak everyone out... lol" when it was ~11:40 PM.

That would have been epic.
Old 09-20-2010 at 02:20 PM   #22
mfattal
Elite Member

Liked: 85 Times

What forum are you talking about? and what does it do?
Old 09-20-2010 at 02:49 PM   #23
PHLN
Oink! Oink! Oink! Oink!

Liked: 506 Times

I don't blame them. Engineering workload is so bad. I'm already behind after 2 weeks.

Really have to pay attention on Avenue and the course outline. Oh and for people like myself, the main thing that is taking a lot of time is Chemistry... Damn assume knowledge!!!

Last edited by PHLN : 09-20-2010 at 02:51 PM.
Old 09-20-2010 at 02:51 PM   #24
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfattal View Post
What forum are you talking about? and what does it do?
maceng.clicdev.org

It's kinda dead now I think (we all pretty much only used it for matlab assignments). Might be a good reference for your matlab assignments though, which I'm pretty sure aren't going to be nearly as insane.