MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What are your elective choices? jordan19 Academics 50 06-13-2010 06:38 PM
Rez Room Choices fashionqueen First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 8 05-25-2010 12:31 AM
Res Choices nick Residence & Housing 15 05-13-2010 11:34 AM
Printer Choices TheAxtmann First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 31 08-02-2009 02:35 PM
help with prof choices highoutput Academics 9 06-18-2009 10:51 AM

Engineering II - Choices...

Old 03-05-2009 at 10:18 PM   #16
micadjems
Awesome Member

Liked: 382 Times

I can't help you with the mech there, but I do know that there isnt too much in common - I think only math 2m03,2mm3, statics 2p04, and 2mm3 circuits - which isnt taken till 3rd year sometimes depending on straight/mgmt/scty. So it might be harder to switch than to something like chem, but easier than elec/phys/comp/sfwr!!

I do hear a lot of good things from my mech buddies - lots of labs with autocad and drawing and stuff.. don't know exactly what they take though

one way i've tried to figure out courses to take was looking at the course calendar on the mcmaster website - you can see which courses you would be taking and brief descriptions of them
Old 03-05-2009 at 11:38 PM   #17
ice8

Liked: 33 Times

i was wondering about computer engineering. i heard it is very similar to electrical while at the same time it is a separate program. could some one explain me the difference between computer and software? also, the fact why it is often compared to electrical being the same.
Old 03-06-2009 at 05:16 AM   #18
kenvin100
Elite Member

Liked: 21 Times

I believe the second yr for both comp and elec is the same...but it diverges into the 3rd and 4th yrs, if im not mistaken..

And guys dont worry about not doing so well in math. I think i've come to realize that regardless what engineering you do, there's gonna be something I dont like or I gotta deal with..take physics for example, either I have too many painful courses on my back right now or I really suck at it, but once im in comp eng, odds are I'll prolly be able to take more courses that I LIKE, and deal with this pest...Just hold your ground and think...by May, SUMMER'S HERE!!!

Old 03-06-2009 at 06:45 AM   #19
DannyV
Elite Member

Liked: 207 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice8 View Post
i was wondering about computer engineering. i heard it is very similar to electrical while at the same time it is a separate program. could some one explain me the difference between computer and software? also, the fact why it is often compared to electrical being the same.
Software engineering involves optimizing code and algorithms.

Computer engineering deals with designing hardware and analyzing circuits. While you do some programming in Comp Eng, you will not go into the depths of optimization. Also, you not only program software but hardware as well using HDL (most likely Verilog-2005).

Comp Eng is compared to electrical a lot because about 85% of our courses are in common with the elec people. In third and fourth year is when the distinctions start with elec taking power courses (transmission, generation, etc.) and us comps taking more hardware design oriented courses as well as network communications, real time systems design and operating system design.

The nice thing about having so many common courses is that if you are in elec but want to take some hardware design courses you can as your technical electives. You won't have the "time" (due to how courses are offered) to get into the depths of say embeded systems but you will be able to have some idea of what they are and what is involved (Of course if you want to stay an extra year and take all those courses nothing is stopping you). The reverse is true for comp as well.
Old 03-07-2009 at 12:56 PM   #20
ice8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyV View Post

The nice thing about having so many common courses is that if you are in elec but want to take some hardware design courses you can as your technical electives. You won't have the "time" (due to how courses are offered) to get into the depths of say embeded systems but you will be able to have some idea of what they are and what is involved (Of course if you want to stay an extra year and take all those courses nothing is stopping you). The reverse is true for comp as well.
thx for the explanation! at the end when u say u can stay an extra year and talk all the other courses does that mean that u can actually graduate with a degree in computer engineering and also a degree in electrical?
Old 03-07-2009 at 01:51 PM   #21
nila*

Liked: 52 Times

Can anyone give me some more info about biomedical and electrical engineering? How much of a course load is there? And do you end up taking all the electrical engineering courses as well as bio courses? or just some?

Thanks.
Old 03-07-2009 at 04:29 PM   #22
maclover

Liked: 55 Times

yes, you end up taking all the electrical engineering courses in biomed and elec. the only difference is that ppl in regular elec take technical electives relating to electrical stuff whereas the people in biomed take bio courses and chem for electives.

nila* says thanks to maclover for this post.
Old 03-07-2009 at 04:51 PM   #23
DannyV
Elite Member

Quote:
thx for the explanation! at the end when u say u can stay an extra year and talk all the other courses does that mean that u can actually graduate with a degree in computer engineering and also a degree in electrical?
You would be able to graduate with the knowledge base of both degrees but not with two degrees.
Old 03-07-2009 at 05:43 PM   #24
hellrise

Liked: 0 Times

Quote:
yes, If you are in electrical and stay one more year to study computer. You will graduate with computer and electrical degree(2 degree).
Old 03-07-2009 at 06:10 PM   #25
ice8

ahh thts pretty sick. thx!
Old 03-07-2009 at 06:13 PM   #26
DannyV
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellrise View Post
yes, If you are in electrical and stay one more year to study computer. You will graduate with computer and electrical degree(2 degree).
I would double check that with Alexa Huang, undergraduate administrative assistant for the ECE department. http://www.ece.mcmaster.ca/contact.htm
Old 03-10-2009 at 01:29 AM   #27
RoyK
Zetsubou Sensei

Liked: 71 Times

can anyone give a rundown of Mechanical Engineering? I've got a bit of a fascination with Design. It's interesting about the Computer Engineering, but I am unfortunately very bad with elec physics hahehe
Old 03-10-2009 at 08:11 PM   #28
paulswi

Liked: 5 Times

I have a question for DannyV. How is the management aspect of your degree working out? Is it alot like micro econ or completely different? How is the course load and generally what are your opinions on it?
Old 03-10-2009 at 08:21 PM   #29
DannyV
Elite Member

I would say it's completely different. You're not doing econ after 2x03, you're just doing business courses.

In accounting you hand in assignments with calculations and such, same with finance. In human resources and marketing you have to analyze a situation based on what is taught in class and make presentations on it.

Overall, it's a nice break from the monotony of technical courses. Also, where it really comes in handy, is in final year presentations and reports. You can usually immediately tell who's in management and who is not by the quality and organization of the ideas.

paulswi says thanks to DannyV for this post.
Old 03-10-2009 at 09:09 PM   #30
J-Met
Elite Member

Liked: 136 Times

Dang that kinda sucks, I really like economics. I suppose its mostly like commerce courses in management then?