MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What are your elective choices? jordan19 Academics 50 06-13-2010 06:38 PM
Rez Room Choices fashionqueen First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 8 05-25-2010 12:31 AM
Res Choices nick Residence & Housing 15 05-13-2010 11:34 AM
Printer Choices TheAxtmann First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 31 08-02-2009 02:35 PM
help with prof choices highoutput Academics 9 06-18-2009 10:51 AM

Engineering II - Choices...

Old 03-11-2009 at 05:01 AM   #31
DannyV
Elite Member

Liked: 207 Times

It's all commerce courses. Econ is taken just to give you an intro to market forces on a micro/macro and ummm well i forget what level 2X03 addresses.

If you would like a minor in Econ you can probably go the Eng & Society route and take econ courses, OR go straight in whatever discipline you want and take econ courses as your non technical electives.
Old 03-11-2009 at 10:27 AM   #32
J-Met
Elite Member

Liked: 136 Times

Hmmm, so if I went into Eng & Society and took all economics electives it would be possible to graduate with a minor in economics? I know in terms of job prospects a degree in Eng & Mgmt would probably be more attractive, but I do really like economics and I think it would probably help keep my CA up over the years...
Old 03-11-2009 at 10:32 AM   #33
DannyV
Elite Member

You'll want to check with the ladies in JHE A214 since I'm not an authority on the matter but yes I believe you'll be able to do a minor in econ with the society option.
Old 03-11-2009 at 12:31 PM   #34
neb21

Liked: 1 Time

I know a whole bunch on people doing that sort of degree in society, I dont think you have enough time to get a full minor though, you'd have to check and plan ahead well.

If you go into society take the courses you are interested in not the courses you think would look the best. This is your chance to branch out.

Employers generally are only going to care that you have an engineering degree. The courses you took to get there only shape the perspective you have on the work you are given.

Set yourself apart. Take something that isnt the norm. Lots of people take econ. Not a lot of engineers get their "minor" in anthro, or linguistics, or a second language.

Thats my advice hope it helps

Ben Desclouds
Materials Engineering

Ownaginatios says thanks to neb21 for this post.
Old 03-13-2009 at 11:41 AM   #35
McAudrey

Liked: 0 Times

Does anybody know what is the CA required for chem and bio engineering? On the webcite they said they only take 25 people. Is that true? How hard it is to get in?
Old 03-13-2009 at 12:55 PM   #36
Matt Wright

Liked: 54 Times

For Engineering and Society or Engineering and International Studies, you have to take between 12-18 focus electives. These electives are a compiled list of programs from which you should be taking over your 5 year program. In order to get a minor in econ, you would have to take the full 18 units in economics, taking the next level econ every year. For more information, you can visit Anna in JHE A-214 and she will be a great help in planning your minor.
Old 03-13-2009 at 01:06 PM   #37
J-Met
Elite Member

Liked: 136 Times

Well, I looked up the requirements for a minor in econ, and apparently all you need to take is micro and macro first year, plus 18 units of other upper year econ courses. Since most electives are 3 units that's only like 6 courses so Id probably even still have enough focus electives to just take other random courses im interested in.
Old 03-13-2009 at 06:36 PM   #38
kenvin100
Elite Member

Liked: 21 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Wright View Post
For Engineering and Society or Engineering and International Studies, you have to take between 12-18 focus electives. These electives are a compiled list of programs from which you should be taking over your 5 year program. In order to get a minor in econ, you would have to take the full 18 units in economics, taking the next level econ every year. For more information, you can visit Anna in JHE A-214 and she will be a great help in planning your minor.
So to minor in econ, you have to take society? I noticed you are taking int studies..wat is that exactly? Are you taking french or something?

Old 03-13-2009 at 08:44 PM   #39
zoyy

Liked: 9 Times

You don't have to take society to get a minor. You can just decide to take 5 years to get your B.Eng and then you have space to take electives towards a minor; or you can just use all your electives towards a minor and graduate within 4 years. The only thing is you may not have enough space to fit 18 units, but you might be ablt to take courses in the summer.
Old 03-14-2009 at 12:39 AM   #40
Matt Wright

Liked: 54 Times

International studies is usually taken when you want to put an emphasis on learning a language as part of your focus electives. In my case, I took international studies because it had some mandatory elective lists, and there was one specific class I wanted to take (politics of the third world). You do not have to take intl studies, society or mgmt to do a minor, but the 5 year spread allows more flexibility for your electives, and allows you the chance to fit in enough for a minor.
Old 03-17-2009 at 06:47 PM   #41
kenvin100
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by #Eng. View Post
You don't have to take society to get a minor. You can just decide to take 5 years to get your B.Eng and then you have space to take electives towards a minor; or you can just use all your electives towards a minor and graduate within 4 years. The only thing is you may not have enough space to fit 18 units, but you might be ablt to take courses in the summer.
The thing is I am interesting in doing a 5 year program, if in turn it means my work load is spaced out more in 5yrs..I too have considered management but due to competition and a sudden lack of interest (after reading this and other threads on macinsiders) plans have changed

So if I go for this Beng, is there any chance I can space out my workload for 5 years? (My TA in 1c03 is in civil eng and mgnt told me that it is a bit easier on the workload, so that's why im askin =P)

Old 03-17-2009 at 11:29 PM   #42
micadjems
Awesome Member

Liked: 382 Times

Yeah, of course! I have a few friends in 'relax'. Just spread those courses on out
Old 03-17-2009 at 11:33 PM   #43
DannyV
Elite Member

For those interested in ECE and those who haven't decided yet, the ECE department is having a first year info night on Wednesday, March 18 at 5:30 PM in ITB room 137.

Come out and learn about the ECE department and talk to current students () and faculty.

See you there!
Old 03-19-2009 at 08:45 PM   #44
kenvin100
Elite Member

Bah, they have this meeting one day before a course that ECE ppl need: Physics 1E03..jeez...

Old 03-19-2009 at 09:03 PM   #45
DannyV
Elite Member

It was only an hour.

If you have questions, there's the university wide march break open house on Saturday. While it is mainly targeted at high schoolers, anyone can come out.