MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
OSAP pickup? kuruczpa Financial Aid 1 09-20-2010 05:59 PM
who steals a jacket.... snaps General Discussion 41 02-03-2010 03:36 AM
Engineering Leather Jacket Cost? Eximious General Discussion 28 10-23-2009 08:09 PM
Airport Pickup ishk33 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 08-03-2008 02:08 PM
OSAP Pickup hmmmcurious General Discussion 1 09-15-2007 07:28 PM

Engineering jacket pickup

Old 12-11-2009 at 03:46 PM   #16
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilks View Post
I love how these threads always get jacked by people hating on them. I bet if other faculties offered them on the same scale as engineering there would be just as many people buying a jacket for their respective faculties. Maybe if that were the case there would be less people crying about how it makes us as engineers look like douches.
There are lots of clothing options for different faculties, like tshirts, hoodies, pants, etc. The most common ones I see worn are nursing, kines and philosophy. Engineering isn't the only faculty with its own clothing.
Old 12-11-2009 at 03:48 PM   #17
RTinkess31

Liked: 43 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy2 View Post
There are lots of clothing options for different faculties, like tshirts, hoodies, pants, etc. The most common ones I see worn are nursing, kines and philosophy. Engineering isn't the only faculty with its own clothing.
If you read his post carefully, you'll notice that he was talking specifically about the jackets not the other clothing (tshirts, hoodies, pants, etc.) which engineering has as well.
Old 12-11-2009 at 03:55 PM   #18
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTinkess31 View Post
If you read his post carefully, you'll notice that he was talking specifically about the jackets not the other clothing (tshirts, hoodies, pants, etc.) which engineering has as well.
Oh, I see. I think I read it too fast.

I have seen two or three people with Political Science jackets that look like the Engineering jackets. I'm in Political Science though, and I've never heard anything about it so maybe they were specially made for those few people.
Old 12-11-2009 at 04:56 PM   #19
Rossclot

Liked: 137 Times

Micadjems, you need to calm down, do some of those relaxation exercises I showed you, breathe deeply, and let that sand fall out of your vajayjay. You sure are a grumplepuss when it comes to those jackets.

...I would be grumpy too if I had to wear one of those ugly things...

Last edited by Rossclot : 12-11-2009 at 08:24 PM.
Old 12-11-2009 at 05:52 PM   #20
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilks View Post
I bet if other faculties offered them on the same scale as engineering there would be just as many people buying a jacket for their respective faculties.
Possible but unlikely. The engineering jacket tradition actually stems from the old tradition of getting your "letterman" jacket in university back in the 40's and 50's. That tradition pretty much died out in Canada through the 60's, but engineering hung onto it for whatever reasons. Chances of this expensive tradition coming back to life are slim.

You can look at old editions of the Marmor to see proof. Back in the 40's and 50's almost every class picture (the grad classes were that small back then) has almost every male in every faculty wearing the same jackets the engineers wear today. I don't think it was the "in" thing for the girls to wear leather jackets though, since there aren't many pictures of them wearing the jackets.
Old 12-11-2009 at 06:10 PM   #21
rrtt
Elite Member

Liked: 56 Times

I don't understand why everyone is hating on the jackets. Yes, they could be more attractive and some of them need to be fitted, but its a nice tradition. I kind of wish science had something like that (albeit something a bit cheaper )

Everyone just needs to leave the engineers alone!

dilks, Iman, micadjems all say thanks to rrtt for this post.

micadjems likes this.
Old 12-11-2009 at 06:23 PM   #22
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

I personally don't like the Mac Eng jackets, but I'd probably buy one if I was in eng.

Queens Eng jackets are where it's at. My buddy had purple finger nails for 4 months after dying (dyeing?) his.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Queens13s likes this.
Old 12-11-2009 at 06:48 PM   #23
VastHorizon
Elite Member

Liked: 128 Times

Well, it's my money and I want one. There's nothing anyone can do about it.

I worked hard for it and I DESERVE it.

micadjems likes this.
Old 12-11-2009 at 07:39 PM   #24
Ender

Liked: 30 Times

I think people are just jealous of the awesomeness that radiates from wearing the jacket.

I plan on (hopefully) getting one next year for my 3rd year. Right from the start of my first year actually I said to myself if I make it past second year I'm going to get that jacket! I'll probably end up wearing it occasionally but its more of a keepsake to me more than anything.

VastHorizon says thanks to Ender for this post.

micadjems likes this.
Old 12-11-2009 at 07:48 PM   #25
andrew22
Account Locked

Liked: 238 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by VastHorizon View Post

I worked hard for it and I DESERVE it.

maybe this is the reason I dont like it? No one else in the world thinks they deserve to wear a jacket about themselves when they work hard i guess.
Old 12-11-2009 at 07:58 PM   #26
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew22 View Post
maybe this is the reason I dont like it? No one else in the world thinks they deserve to wear a jacket about themselves when they work hard i guess.
Not necessarily a jacket, but many people do think they deserve something after working hard.

VastHorizon is working hard for his degree in Eng. Why not have something tangible to show it off on a regular basis?

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

micadjems, VastHorizon all say thanks to lawleypop for this post.
Old 12-11-2009 at 07:59 PM   #27
VastHorizon
Elite Member

Liked: 128 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew22 View Post
Then you don't like it. I have the money and I will buy one. I reap what I sow. I do what I want to.

micadjems likes this.
Old 12-11-2009 at 11:18 PM   #28
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrtt View Post
I kind of wish science had something like that (albeit something a bit cheaper )
Science has all kinds of gear, and it can be purchased out of BSB B108 during regular school hours. The office is closed right now over the exam break, but will be open again on January 4.
Old 12-12-2009 at 04:56 AM   #29
Entropy
Splice onto Arcane

Liked: 974 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossclot View Post
Micadjems, you need to calm down, do some of those relaxation exercises I showed you, breathe deeply, and let that sand fall out of your vajayjay. You sure are a grumplepuss when it comes to those jackets.

...I would be grumpy too if I had to wear one of those ugly things...
This was really unnecessary.

There's nothing wrong with anything she said. andrew22's first post in this topic almost definitive of that of a troll, though I appreciate his efforts to redeem himself later on by providing reasons for his disapproval.

You, however, haven't contributed anything, and are far more worthy a troll than andrew22. What are you trying to accomplish with that last line? With that entire post? Why would you be a dick and try to spread false information? Like, I can't imagine how that benefits you in any way, shape, or form. If it was funny, I might have let it slide, but it wasn't even that.

Plus, micadjems was able to respond to your questions and comments about the jackets lightheartedly and politely, and minimized scolding you for the random false info. Which obviously, I'm not doing. I don't see how that makes her a "grumplepuss" at all.

I could go on, but I think I'm going to stay civil.

...Oops, I fell for trollbait.

micadjems says thanks to Entropy for this post.
Old 12-12-2009 at 10:56 AM   #30
micadjems
Awesome Member

Liked: 382 Times

Queens also beats their jackets on the ground. No sense of value, I tells ya.

Anyhow, @ OP and on topic...

I saw a bunch of new jackets at the WE last night, so they're in now!

I repeat:

The Jackets are IN!

Enjoy!