MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
OSAP pickup? kuruczpa Financial Aid 1 09-20-2010 05:59 PM
who steals a jacket.... snaps General Discussion 41 02-03-2010 03:36 AM
Engineering Leather Jacket Cost? Eximious General Discussion 28 10-23-2009 08:09 PM
Airport Pickup ishk33 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 08-03-2008 02:08 PM
OSAP Pickup hmmmcurious General Discussion 1 09-15-2007 07:28 PM

Engineering jacket pickup

Old 12-13-2009 at 02:27 AM   #46
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

As an engineering student, I have to agree that during welcome week the faculty leaders do try and instill the idea into us that we are better than everyone else. Because of all the engineering cheers and stuff, we pretty much make every other faculty hate us right from the start. Personally, from having taken a few humanities classes, I can tell that a lot humanities students in particular do not like us.

To be honest, I also really dislike the red suits. Running into classes and yelling a bunch of retarded cheers just promotes the "we're a bunch of loud dumbasses" stereotype. Especially when they do it in classes that aren't even for engineering.

Like some other poster said, getting the jacket is kind of like saying "I'm an engineer" before you even get through engineering. I think it's something that should be earned.
Old 12-13-2009 at 02:27 AM   #47
Infinity
Elite Member

Liked: 90 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eximious View Post
1) Once again there are always few that ruin the reputation of many
2) If other faculties really want a jacket, talk to your reps
3) People don't just press "E" on the I-clicker quiz because it stands for engineering, I've never heard that before. I did it because I didn't know the answer at all and participation counts. Its also fun to see the response from the Prof.
4) I am not calling you douches for your opinions, I'm calling you douches because you are acting like douches.
chemistry with paul hatala. he even said it himself. and its not always participation marks, sometimes you have to get it right, yet you go and press E.
Old 12-13-2009 at 02:31 AM   #48
Rossclot

Liked: 137 Times

This is a forum. People have discussions here. The thread is about an engineering tradition. We are discussing engineering traditions.
Quote:
If anything most of you should be ashamed of yourselves, this started out as a topic to inquire about when I can get my jacket. From what I've seen some of you just take this as some sort of place to piss on our engineering traditions and call us douches. It's fine if you wanna voice your opinion, but please be respectful of others.
no one here is calling you a douche for wanting the jacket. If you re-read the posts with an open mind, it should be fairly clear that people are complaining about the engineering ego, not the jacket. It is the internet, there is very little tone to help you understand what people mean, and there is no body language to get hints from.

Engineers are not called douches because they wear jackets, Engineers are called douches because of all of the eyewitness accounts almost every student has of large masses of them being douches.

I'm i
n engineering so I see more evidence of it than any person in other faculties. It is a problem that holds back engineering students, and it is a direct result of some of our traditions.

Infinity says thanks to Rossclot for this post.
Old 12-13-2009 at 02:49 AM   #49
RTinkess31

Liked: 43 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinity View Post
chemistry with paul hatala. he even said it himself. and its not always participation marks, sometimes you have to get it right, yet you go and press E.
... don't engineers have a different chemistry class than science students?
Old 12-13-2009 at 02:50 AM   #50
Eximious

Liked: 11 Times

I know no one is calling me a douche for wanting the jacket, you assumed I did. I don't think the topic is still on Engineering traditions, its only on the ego of engineers. This can however be a result of the traditions, but without the traditions, the faculty isn't as great. I love that we have a history, and cool things to do. I thought welcome week was a great way to just have some fun, its not like we were physically hurting people (other than those guys in humanities that trampled their own people). I also think Dillion Dixon is wrong, the jacket does not say that I am proud to be an engineer, it says that I am proud that I am at mcmaster for Engineering.
Old 12-13-2009 at 02:55 AM   #51
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eximious View Post
I also think Dillion Dixon...

Rossclot says thanks to Ownaginatios for this post.

BlakeM likes this.
Old 12-13-2009 at 03:01 AM   #52
Eximious

Liked: 11 Times

my bad >.> If it makes you feel any better I was going to check before I posted, but I forgot after checking over my writing. So the thought was there, just not the action
Old 12-13-2009 at 03:25 AM   #53
Rossclot

Liked: 137 Times

Love the picture, I almost fell out of my chair.
Old 12-13-2009 at 08:10 AM   #54
ViktorVaughn

Liked: 71 Times

I'm in engineering and I think engineering jackets are lame. They do however act as a convenient label for identifying people in engineering who you don't want to associate with. The people who wear them are often the types who embody the traits that most people dislike about engineering students, including most other engineering students.

Good grief, just wait till you get your iron ring.

Iron Ring = earned, Eng jacket = bought.
Old 12-13-2009 at 09:19 AM   #55
micadjems
Awesome Member

Liked: 382 Times

I really hate to be getting back into this, I prefer to let those who complain look bad on their own, but I do want to point out that there are many engineering traditions at Mcmaster which help the community.

Bus pull which raises thousands for CF, and Santa Hog, which raised over 1500$ for interval house this year. Not to mention at least 5 different elementary and highschool outreach programs - most of which are run by volunteers who also happened to volunteer a lot of time to welcome week. I won't even start with engineering clubs, and the work many of them do.

The things everyone is focusing on completely ignores everyone who goes into the community to do good with other engineers, as a community, and it's not only a few of us.
Old 12-13-2009 at 11:49 AM   #56
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by micadjems View Post
I really hate to be getting back into this, I prefer to let those who complain look bad on their own, but I do want to point out that there are many engineering traditions at Mcmaster which help the community.

Bus pull which raises thousands for CF, and Santa Hog, which raised over 1500$ for interval house this year. Not to mention at least 5 different elementary and highschool outreach programs - most of which are run by volunteers who also happened to volunteer a lot of time to welcome week. I won't even start with engineering clubs, and the work many of them do.

The things everyone is focusing on completely ignores everyone who goes into the community to do good with other engineers, as a community, and it's not only a few of us.
No one is bashing every single engineer. I'm sure there are tons of people in Engineering who are great people. My boyfriend is in Engineering and I know he's a good person. No one is bashing every single Engineering tradition. They are only talking about the unnecessary ones (vandalizing the school) and first years being taught to bash on other faculties (Welcome Week). Every single Engineer is not a bad person; everyone knows that. And every faculty has jerks; everyone knows that too.

I personally would never wear that jacket, and I know lots of Engineers who wouldn't either (thankfully, my boyfriend is one of them). It costs a lot of money, it's leather, and it's ugly. That's just MY opinion. If someone wants to buy the jacket, they can. I think what some people are this thread are saying is that the jacket sometimes reinforces what first years are taught during Welcome Week. I'm not saying it does or doesn't, because I've never spoke to anyone with the jacket, but I can see how it could. Engineers at Mac, and maybe other schools, are taught by red suits and Welcome Week traditions to think that they are better than everyone else - there is no denying that. You can say "It's all in fun!" but it's obvious that a lot of people take it seriously.

Point is.. I don't think (most) people on this thread are bashing all Engineers and all Engineering traditions. It just sucks that some traditions and some jerks are so loud and hurtful to others that it overpowers the good Engineers and the good traditions.

Last edited by Kathy2 : 12-13-2009 at 12:10 PM.
Old 12-13-2009 at 11:57 AM   #57
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by micadjems View Post

You realized you bashed Queens' traditions in an earlier post right..?
(them beating their jackets)

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 12-13-2009 at 12:18 PM   #58
AnguishedEnd
Elite Member

Liked: 103 Times

Reading this thread, I'm having second thoughts about buying this jacket now haha.

Ownaginatios likes this.
Old 12-13-2009 at 12:31 PM   #59
VastHorizon
Elite Member

Liked: 128 Times

If you want one, buy one. If you don't, then don't. It's as simple as that.

If you don't want to hang out with people wearing engineering jackets, then don't. They probably wouldn't want to hang out with you anyway since you're not wearing one.

My point exactly? Mind your own business.
Old 12-13-2009 at 01:12 PM   #60
DavidR

Liked: 87 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViktorVaughn View Post
They do however act as a convenient label for identifying people in engineering who you don't want to associate with.
Wow.

You don't associate with people based on what they wear? I feel sorry for you.