MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Engineering Physics yet again jntyrhds Academics 0 07-03-2010 05:51 PM
Astrophysics? Medical Physics? Honours Physics? Engineering? Which to choose? tammy37 Academics 9 05-14-2009 02:11 AM
engineering vs. physics DeeNos Academics 6 11-17-2008 02:08 AM
Engineering Physics DeeNos Academics 1 10-16-2008 06:29 AM

Engineering PHysics = GEt out your cyanide!!

Old 01-24-2011 at 08:59 PM   #76
BlakeM
Elite Member

Liked: 121 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander View Post
It's about determination. You cannot become a surgeon if you don't have the motivation and passion.
Btw, you cannot become a medical doctor if you're sole purpose is to get money.
Bullshit? My cousin(in 3rd year of med school) has a roomate also in medicine. Hates what he does, does almost nothing, but is smart/hardworking enough to cruise by. All so that he can pay back his student loans and help his family.
Sad part is, he is most likely one of many.
Old 01-24-2011 at 09:02 PM   #77
Commander
P.I.M.P

Liked: 63 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeM View Post
Bullshit? My cousin(in 3rd year of med school) has a roomate also in medicine. Hates what he does, does almost nothing, but is smart/hardworking enough to cruise by. All so that he can pay back his student loans and help his family.
Sad part is, he is most likely one of many.
Hates what he does? Either the guy must be bluffing or your "cousin" has superhuman abilities.

I did say you must have determination. You cannot win without wanting to win. That applies to everything from sports to war.

And he may not do residency if he "hates what he does", because it doesn't end at Med school.
Old 01-24-2011 at 10:32 PM   #78
Commander
P.I.M.P

Any eng physics dudes reading this ?

Go read the rambling that Mahratta makes about Laws of physics "not being real"
Old 01-24-2011 at 10:49 PM   #79
BlakeM
Elite Member

Liked: 121 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander View Post
Hates what he does? Either the guy must be bluffing or your "cousin" has superhuman abilities.

I did say you must have determination. You cannot win without wanting to win. That applies to everything from sports to war.

And he may not do residency if he "hates what he does", because it doesn't end at Med school.
My cousin loves what he does. It's his roommate that doesn't. I won't go into details or stories, but there is no passion there.
Old 01-24-2011 at 10:51 PM   #80
Commander
P.I.M.P

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeM View Post
My cousin loves what he does. It's his roommate that doesn't. I won't go into details or stories, but there is no passion there.
You could be right.

You're a third year engineer. Go read Mahratta's posts and tell me if they are logical or not.

I still can't believe that people who don't believe that Laws of Physics are real are allowed to graduate to second year.
Old 03-19-2011 at 04:17 PM   #81
jntyrhds

Liked: 1 Time

Hey guys,
Given the Japan crisis, is it worth going into Nuclear Engineering?
I heard that a few countries like China and Sweden(i think) have suspended their current reactor projects? I know that this is gonna leave a really hige dent in people's minds about the future of nuclear energy. After the 3-mile accident, US didnt build any new reactors in US soil for 30 years.
Old 03-19-2011 at 04:25 PM   #82
Stock

Liked: 56 Times

Good thread.
Old 03-19-2011 at 05:19 PM   #83
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jntyrhds View Post
Hey guys,
Given the Japan crisis, is it worth going into Nuclear Engineering?
I heard that a few countries like China and Sweden(i think) have suspended their current reactor projects? I know that this is gonna leave a really hige dent in people's minds about the future of nuclear energy. After the 3-mile accident, US didnt build any new reactors in US soil for 30 years.
Theres more to eng physics than just reactors...

kleung likes this.
Old 03-19-2011 at 07:39 PM   #84
nila*

Liked: 52 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
Theres more to eng physics than just reactors...
Definitely.

I was giving Engineering tours this week and the person at the Eng Phys tour stop explained that eng phys in part of a whole bunch of fields like optics, nanotechnology, areodynamics, particle research, etc.

He also said that the amount of math they do is very intense and that a lot of graduates choose to work in banks in stuff like risk analysis because their math skills are that good :O
Old 03-19-2011 at 09:20 PM   #85
dsahota

Liked: 83 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by nila* View Post
a lot of graduates choose to work in banks in stuff like risk analysis because their math skills are that good :O
That's probably overselling the program just a bit. While people do go from Eng Phys into various areas of Mathematical Finance, they'll typically take a Master's degree in something first. Doing just an Eng Phys undergrad and then expecting to just get a job in risk analysis would probably be a flight of fancy. There's a lot of specialized Math knowledge required beyond what is taught in Eng Phys (although certainly the fundamentals are there).
Old 03-20-2011 at 04:25 PM   #86
jntyrhds

Ive heard that for Physics students as well. In fact, one of my physics prof at Carleton told me that prior to landing a job as an Assistant professor, he received numerous offers in the finance industry and most of them were really good posts. But ofcourse, he had a pHD in Physics. Plus, people go onto study physics cuz they're really passionate about it so they'd rather stay in academics and do research in the field instead of working finance.
But it is comforting to know that the technical expertise you gain in a program like Eng. Phy can be used across a very broad spectrum so there are always opportunities waiting.
Thanks guys for all your posts, ive learnt a lot from this.
Old 04-23-2011 at 11:02 PM   #87
jntyrhds

Does any1 know anything about the 4th year capstone project in Engineering physics?
I heard from a friend of mine that they have it the hardest. He even went beyond that and said the whole class ended up failing the course. Damn it! He had to break the news to me now, after all the courage i conjured up to select Eng Physics. Really gonna screw up my summer!
Old 04-23-2011 at 11:57 PM   #88
MirandaC

Liked: 41 Times

[quote=Commander;21380 7]
4) Do what you like. I fckin love physics. I get an orgasm when I solve a physics problem, sexual fantasies when I read physics textbooks and I masturbate to Feymann's videos.
quote]

I laughed WAY to hard at this. Possibly because I feel pretty similar.
Old 04-24-2011 at 12:53 AM   #89
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Quote:
Does any1 know anything about the 4th year capstone project in Engineering physics?
I heard from a friend of mine that they have it the hardest. He even went beyond that and said the whole class ended up failing the course. Damn it! He had to break the news to me now, after all the courage i conjured up to select Eng Physics. Really gonna screw up my summer!
Chillax, its 3 years from now.
Old 04-24-2011 at 06:46 AM   #90
Noodle

Liked: 19 Times

Quote:
Don't worry about it, I've heard that it is really hard but it is not impossible. Apparently the TA for this year was a giant d*ck about format, but the course is passable. Cassidy may rule with a iron fist, but he is a fair prof that won't just fail people on a whim.