MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Engineering Physics yet again jntyrhds Academics 0 07-03-2010 05:51 PM
Astrophysics? Medical Physics? Honours Physics? Engineering? Which to choose? tammy37 Academics 9 05-14-2009 02:11 AM
engineering vs. physics DeeNos Academics 6 11-17-2008 02:08 AM
Engineering Physics DeeNos Academics 1 10-16-2008 06:29 AM

Engineering PHysics = GEt out your cyanide!!

Old 01-21-2011 at 11:35 PM   #61
Commander
P.I.M.P

Liked: 63 Times

Actually the difficulty isn't overrated. People don't do good in physics because they're dumb... simple as that.

I understand if you lack the mathematical abilities to do PDE and vector calculus to derive Maxwell equations, that's ok. But some people can't comprehend the fact that if you drop two objects of different masses at the same height, they will hit the ground at the same time.
Old 01-22-2011 at 12:06 AM   #62
PHLN
Oink! Oink! Oink! Oink!

Liked: 506 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander View Post
But some people can't comprehend the fact that if you drop two objects of different masses at the same height, they will hit the ground at the same time.
No they don't.

Two people stands next to each other. One drop a heavy textbook, the other drop a feather.

Heavy textbook falls before feather.
Old 01-22-2011 at 12:33 AM   #63
justinsftw
Elite Member

Liked: 342 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLN View Post
No they don't.

Two people stands next to each other. One drop a heavy textbook, the other drop a feather.

If you drop them far enough, and with the same medium of fluid or air, they will not hit the ground at the exact same time, nor will they have the same terminal velocity due to drag (although the differences are almost negligible and ignored in classical Physics). At least, that's what I got from my readings. Correct me if I'm wrong.

LukeEngineer likes this.
Old 01-22-2011 at 12:34 AM   #64
LukeEngineer

Liked: 5 Times

Quote:
No they don't.

Thats cause of air resistance, objects do fall at the same rate theoretically if you take out all the other factors, for example if they were in a vacuum. This was proven by Galileo, mass has nothing to do with how fast something falls, if you get the same shape of an object and different masses then you could see too like Galileo did on the leaning tower of pisa with two irons.

justinsftw says thanks to LukeEngineer for this post.
Old 01-22-2011 at 12:39 AM   #65
Eximious

Liked: 11 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jntyrhds View Post
i dunno anymore.
I mean, i wanna work in the nuclear industry and get a good education in the nuclear sciences and engineering (that's why i chose Mac )but it's just really hard with the uncertainty over AECL's future and all. It's just way too contentious an issue espeically in Canada. The general mood in the West doesnt seem to be a very optimistic one. I know that countries like India, South Korea, China, and U.A.E are becoming very dynamic in the issue but then again, the proliferation risk might curtail growth in some. It's really too murky and risky an issue for someone to base their whole future on. Id really love to say otherwise guys.
btw, is there anyone on campus i could talk to regarding the issue, i mean an expert as in someone who really knows about the industry. Not that i dont appreciate all the feedback, you guys really know your s*%t.
In all seriousness, if it is what you are interested. A job will always be there, and you will be happy for doing what you like. Don't worry about finding the job, it's not like an Eng Phys degree won't open some other related door if all nuclear jobs in Canada crash.
Old 01-22-2011 at 09:15 AM   #66
PHLN
Oink! Oink! Oink! Oink!

Quote:
But some people can't comprehend the fact that if you drop two objects of different masses at the same height, they will hit the ground at the same time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinsftw View Post
If you drop them far enough, and with the same medium of fluid or air, they will not hit the ground at the exact same time, nor will they have the same terminal velocity due to drag (although the differences are almost negligible and ignored in classical Physics). At least, that's what I got from my readings. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeEngineer View Post
Thats cause of air resistance, objects do fall at the same rate theoretically if you take out all the other factors, for example if they were in a vacuum. This was proven by Galileo, mass has nothing to do with how fast something falls, if you get the same shape of an object and different masses then you could see too like Galileo did on the leaning tower of pisa with two irons.
HAHA. I know...

I was just poking fun at the original statement because it was given without considering other variables or restricting them.

Old 01-22-2011 at 01:21 PM   #67
LukeEngineer

Liked: 5 Times

Quote:
HAHA. I know...

I was just poking fun at the original statement because it was given without considering other variables or restricting them.
Lol Okay, I was going to disagree with commander and say that I believe everyone knows that then you posted and I was like oh okay guess I'm wrong.
Old 01-22-2011 at 01:47 PM   #68
funkdmonkey

Liked: 27 Times

When I say overrated, I mean to other engineers. I live with six engineers and they all believe that Eng Phys is on a completely different level than their respective programs. They think that if they swapped into Eng Phys they would suddenly do bad and get terrible marks but that isn't the case. I would wager they would get the same marks as they are getting currently, perhaps just a bit worse since they wouldn't be as interested in the material. Majority of engineers I speak to all seem to fear Eng Phys, I find it rather funny.

I would have to agree that everyone believes Eng Phys is so difficult because the majority of engineers do rather poorly in first year physics.
Old 01-22-2011 at 10:12 PM   #69
MrVJPMAn
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 4 Times

Eng Physics isn't generally hard, but definately there is a lot of work involved. If you're a diligent worker, you have nothing to fear.

If you're not, prepare to have problems because you can't learn physics by memorizing, you learn by doing.
Old 01-23-2011 at 12:13 PM   #70
Commander
P.I.M.P

Physics should be enjoyed, sciences should be enjoyed.

I like Biology (Physics more). But that doesn't mean I am going to learn Bio at university. I can do self study and get my questions answered by asking them to real professionals whom I know.

Apparently, most eng. students (in first year) want a career as engineer because of the money and the status. If that was the case for me, I would go into Soft. Eng.
Old 01-23-2011 at 01:29 PM   #71
PHLN
Oink! Oink! Oink! Oink!

Quote:
Apparently, most eng. students (in first year) want a career as engineer because of the money and the status. If that was the case for me, I would go into Soft. Eng.
I don't blame them for not being to make the proper choice based on their enjoyment.

Parents tend to influence the whole money and status reasoning for picking a career. Add to the fact that when you are 17 years old, you don't have enough life experience, self experience and exposure to the world to make a sound decision. It all turns out really bad in the end.

Nevertheless, you have to start somewhere right? At least there is a general first year so students can sample a taste of the future Engineering field.

If you want money and status. Get your Engineering degree then head to Medical school. Become a Neurosurgeon in the end.
Old 01-23-2011 at 01:34 PM   #72
Commander
P.I.M.P

Quote:
I don't blame them for not being to make the proper choice based on their enjoyment.

Parents tend to influence the whole money and status reasoning for picking a career. Add to the fact that when you are 17 years old, you don't have enough life experience, self experience and exposure to the world to make a sound decision. It all turns out really bad in the end.

Nevertheless, you have to start somewhere right? At least there is a general first year so students can sample a taste of the future Engineering field.

If you want money and status. Get your Engineering degree then head to Medical school. Become a Neurosurgeon in the end.
Medical School ? Become a Surgeon ?

Umm, I'm a very confident guy but...
Old 01-23-2011 at 10:11 PM   #73
MrVJPMAn
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 4 Times

Hate to ruin everyone's dreams, just know that the happiest moment of medical school is GETTING IN.

http://www.medschoolhell.com /2007/...edical-school/

On another note, engineering is overrated but I'm doing it because I HAVE AN OBSESSION WITH BREAKING THINGS APART AND MAKING STUFF.
Old 01-23-2011 at 10:22 PM   #74
justinsftw
Elite Member

Liked: 342 Times

Quote:
There are a lot of other things that are equally likely, or even more so, to happen than getting an MD and being a neurosurgeon.
Old 01-24-2011 at 08:27 PM   #75
Commander
P.I.M.P

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinsftw View Post
There are a lot of other things that are equally likely, or even more so, to happen than getting an MD and being a neurosurgeon.
It's about determination. You cannot become a surgeon if you don't have the motivation and passion.

One of my cousins is a doc. She told me that she wasn't the best student at school. She was getting good grades but she was the "slow" learning type. Yet, she made it to med school and she's now a med doc. And that's mainly because she had a passion for it.

Btw, you cannot become a medical doctor if you're sole purpose is to get money.