MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
switching faculties kurrykid101 Introduce Yourself 1 08-17-2011 02:36 PM
Switching Faculties before Fall 2011: Engineering ----> Science? love.life First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 18 08-02-2011 12:37 PM
Transferring Faculties shahzama Academics 18 10-28-2010 10:22 AM
switching faculties? m&ms Academics 2 02-27-2010 01:32 AM
Transferring Faculties leaffan General Discussion 2 05-03-2009 01:35 PM

Engineering Vs. All other faculties Course Load

Old 11-08-2011 at 02:16 PM   #16
muons

Liked: 84 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyrant View Post
agree, but a B average is just that: average bordering on bad for anyone outside of the engineering faculty. remember we're all trying to get into professional/graduate schools,

If an engineer averages an 8 for the semester(not including first years), christmas came early for them, if I average an 8 this semester I would cry......very manly tears.

a B avg isn't going to get anyone into medschool/grad school.......Im sorry if this sounds harsh, engineers put in a lot of work, but so do a lot of other people.
Well, B averages do get engineers into MBA programs and M.A.Sc. programs.
Med school? I doubt it, but most engineers don't want to go med school/dental school/pharm/whatever else health field
Old 11-08-2011 at 02:25 PM   #17
julianface
Elite Member

Liked: 187 Times

engineers have more units then everyone, get trained as a professional in 4 years, and the drop out rate is really high. I'd say those are good indicators that eng is the most difficult faculty. And the whole "people are better in different things" is true to a certain extent but think of this. There is a student with a 12 average in history, they take a first year eng math course. There is a student with a 12 average in physics, they take a first year history course. I think one of those students is far more likely to get a 12 then the other
Old 11-08-2011 at 02:59 PM   #18
tyrant
Account Locked

Liked: 121 Times

not a big fan of this thread, so Im leaving (forever) after I make this point, which is kind of petty but has a little truth in it:

Why do engineers feel the need to justify themselves as the best faculty at mac? I think it's because they are still sad and angry that their average wasn't good enough to get them into Waterloo (which coincidentally I got accepted into for electrical but chose mac instead)

Do science students have this problem?HELL NO!!! McMaster is regarded as one of the best research schools in the world, easily the best in Canada. (according to Macleans and other sources), there ChemBio program is one of the best in all of north america, I look at the paper, and see mac excelling in the field of biology, nothing about engineering though.......And I do remember the cutoff for life sciences being higher than the cutoff for engineering.

We went to the best school for our subject you did not, and yet somehow we're inferior?

IM DONE

edit: and im pretty sure the same thing can be said for social science, not %100 sure though.

/end rant

Last edited by tyrant : 11-08-2011 at 03:08 PM.
Old 11-08-2011 at 03:00 PM   #19
CelesteSkye

Liked: 1 Time

I'm actually curious though, because I just assumed that Eng was harder. My friend said that it offended her because if I thought engineering was harder than everything else, then everyone in other faculties must be stupid. I don't. I just thought to be an engineer you automatically have more work to do: I mean, we have our own shrink. That has to mean something.
Old 11-08-2011 at 03:02 PM   #20
CelesteSkye

Liked: 1 Time

And no one's inferior! I didn't know people were so damn sensitive.

julianface likes this.
Old 11-08-2011
4_gnrtn_cndn
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 11-08-2011 at 05:41 PM   #21
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

I definitely just assumed engineers have more work...but then I started living with engineers. And I'm fairly certain I spend many more hours doing school-related work than they do, and they definitely have more free time. That doesn't necessarily mean anything (I could just fail at time management/efficiency), but it's definitely not what I expected.
Old 11-08-2011 at 06:29 PM   #22
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelesteSkye View Post
I just thought to be an engineer you automatically have more work to do.
No.
Not to sound rude (sorry if it comes off that way), but nope.

My boyfriend was in Engineering at Mac while I was in Social Sciences at Mac. I often worked harder/more hours than him. It doesn't mean either of our programs is harder than the other. Everyone is different when it comes to school.

julianface, Kelsoss like this.
Old 11-08-2011 at 06:40 PM   #23
Snowman
Elite Member

Liked: 180 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerual View Post
I definitely just assumed engineers have more work...but then I started living with engineers. And I'm fairly certain I spend many more hours doing school-related work than they do, and they definitely have more free time. That doesn't necessarily mean anything (I could just fail at time management/efficiency), but it's definitely not what I expected.
I know some people that do next to no work and can pull off 9+ averages but it does depend on the person. my first semester isnt too bad, but having 37 hour of class second semester i would say is a lot of work.

I think the reason that you hear so many engineers "boasting" about their courseload is more due to other people saying they have more work when we believe otherwise. its like if a gr. 8 was complaining about his 1 hour of homework, youd be like "just wait till you get to uni." well i may think i work a lot harder then most, i dont brag about having more work, it usually comes up when someone else is explaining that they have no time for anything when they spend like 2 hours on homework a night meanwhile im spending much more.
Old 11-08-2011 at 07:26 PM   #24
DarthFuzzy

Liked: 7 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyrant View Post
not a big fan of this thread, so Im leaving (forever) after I make this point, which is kind of petty but has a little truth in it:

Why do engineers feel the need to justify themselves as the best faculty at mac? I think it's because they are still sad and angry that their average wasn't good enough to get them into Waterloo (which coincidentally I got accepted into for electrical but chose mac instead)

Do science students have this problem?HELL NO!!! McMaster is regarded as one of the best research schools in the world, easily the best in Canada. (according to Macleans and other sources), there ChemBio program is one of the best in all of north america, I look at the paper, and see mac excelling in the field of biology, nothing about engineering though.......And I do remember the cutoff for life sciences being higher than the cutoff for engineering.

We went to the best school for our subject you did not, and yet somehow we're inferior?

IM DONE

edit: and im pretty sure the same thing can be said for social science, not %100 sure though.

/end rant
Go talk to some of the engineers around mac and ask them what schools they were offered. A lot of people chose Mac over UofT and Waterloo for the same thing. Mac isn't a second choice.

jim1 likes this.
Old 11-08-2011 at 07:36 PM   #25
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 461 Times

I chose Mac Comp Sci over Waterloo.

julianface likes this.
Old 11-08-2011 at 07:38 PM   #26
justinsftw
Elite Member

Liked: 342 Times

Don't engineers have more courses though? (i.e. 36-ish per year)
Old 11-08-2011 at 07:41 PM   #27
J. Dorey
Elite Member

Liked: 169 Times

Every faculty/program/what-have-you is difficult in their own way. Who cares about "which one is harder" when it's a completely subjective idea that is based on the person? This is ridiculous. In every program, you're gonna have the slackers and you're gonna have the ones that do work like crazy, so choosing which program is "harder" become moot.

Kathy2 likes this.
Old 11-08-2011 at 07:45 PM   #28
jamescw1234
The Awkward One

Liked: 468 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinsftw View Post
Don't engineers have more courses though? (i.e. 36-ish per year)
BA/BSW students take 36 units per year as well. (including placement for 3rd and 4th years, 15 hours a week). Eng's aren't the only ones who overload

James CW
McMaster University-Bachelor's of Social Work and Bachelor's of Arts in Sociology (2012)
York University-Masters of Social Work (2014-2015)

justinsftw says thanks to jamescw1234 for this post.
Old 11-08-2011 at 08:23 PM   #29
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Liked: 611 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelesteSkye View Post
SO my friend and I got into an argument over whether Engineers actually have a harder workload than everyone else, or if they just complain that they do. I'm in Mechanical Engineering, she's in the Physical Sciences.

Can I get some input on this?
From how is seems to me, Eng has more courses, but the bar seems lower. Like, its more acceptable to get a 65% in Eng than it is in something like Bio. Engs seem more chill with a greater sense of community... bio kids will stab you in the back to get into med.

1st year Eng get a TON of support. It borders on ridiculous sometimes. I'm not sure if it continues into upper years, but Bio basically leaves you to fend for yourself.

So its do you want to do bad with your friends, or hate yourself because you got a B+?

Last edited by britb : 11-08-2011 at 08:30 PM.

Alchemist11 likes this.