MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
switching faculties kurrykid101 Introduce Yourself 1 08-17-2011 02:36 PM
Switching Faculties before Fall 2011: Engineering ----> Science? love.life First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 18 08-02-2011 12:37 PM
Transferring Faculties shahzama Academics 18 10-28-2010 10:22 AM
switching faculties? m&ms Academics 2 02-27-2010 01:32 AM
Transferring Faculties leaffan General Discussion 2 05-03-2009 01:35 PM

Engineering Vs. All other faculties Course Load

Old 11-10-2011 at 09:58 PM   #61
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by VastHorizon View Post
I don't think drop-out rates are relevant. It just means that people have no desire to carry on
with the program - maybe they just lost interest and thought that it was not really for them.
I agree, but I also think it's a push and a pull. I know not everyone dropping out does it because of the workload, but I still am curious.
Old 11-10-2011 at 09:59 PM   #62
Alchemist11
Elite Member

Liked: 553 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by harris3 View Post
the reason the average is low is because the class is hard, the class average would never be that low in another faculty. plus a pretty high percentage of people drop out as well, and its not as if their all idiots, they were all the best students in math/physics at their respective high schools and couldnt handle it, so its not like the people who get 60's are just cruising through getting 60's and 70's.
Oh come on lol. Drop outs shouldn't be correlated with difficulty, there are tons of other factors such as finding another passion or deciding engineering is not for them (without necessarily failing) at play.

Your entire post is so defensive lol...and full of inaccuracies.
They were the best students in math/physics at their respective high schools? No, they weren't. But if you really want to compare this way with no evidence besides anecdotes then let's compare: engineering requires low 80s to get in...life science is at 88 and health sci is at 90+. At my high school, I know people including myself who got 98+ in stats, 96+ in physics, 94+ in calculus....and they all went into life science, not engineering. In fact, out of our top 5 highest averages in grade 12, 3 went into life sci at mac, 1 into life sci at U of T, and one into eng at U of T.

And maybe the ones in eng "couldn't handle it" because they're lazy or not as smart as they thought they were.

I'm good friends with a few engineers and most of them are above 11.7 GPA, and not one of them assumes that they're that much better than anyone else. In fact, these are all completely average intelligence, average work-ethic students.

I doubt that people who were "at the top of their math and physics classes" would be failing in undergrad unless they were either lazy, or their high school was very easy, or they just didn't care.

Last edited by Alchemist11 : 11-10-2011 at 10:02 PM.
Old 11-10-2011 at 10:06 PM   #63
Rstevenson

Liked: 25 Times

Slept yet? Take Vast, hasnt slept in 72 hours. How many people in other faculties do that?
Old 11-10-2011 at 10:12 PM   #64
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,314 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemist11 View Post
Oh come on lol. Drop outs shouldn't be correlated with difficulty, there are tons of other factors such as finding another passion or deciding engineering is not for them (without necessarily failing) at play.

Your entire post is so defensive lol...and full of inaccuracies.
They were the best students in math/physics at their respective high schools? No, they weren't. But if you really want to compare this way with no evidence besides anecdotes then let's compare: engineering requires low 80s to get in...life science is at 88 and health sci is at 90+. At my high school, I know people including myself who got 98+ in stats, 96+ in physics, 94+ in calculus....and they all went into life science, not engineering. In fact, out of our top 5 highest averages in grade 12, 3 went into life sci at mac, 1 into life sci at U of T, and one into eng at U of T.

And maybe the ones in eng "couldn't handle it" because they're lazy or not as smart as they thought they were.

I'm good friends with a few engineers and most of them are above 11.7 GPA, and not one of them assumes that they're that much better than anyone else. In fact, these are all completely average intelligence, average work-ethic students.

I doubt that people who were "at the top of their math and physics classes" would be failing in undergrad unless they were either lazy, or their high school was very easy, or they just didn't care.
lol science fffewf
Old 11-10-2011 at 11:17 PM   #65
Dave12

Liked: 6 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Dorey View Post
I can't speak for Music as I've never taken a class in that program, but English is often seen as one of the harder arts courses to major in. The reading for it is insane. You have to read a novel, spend 3 lectures on it, and you're on to the next one. The pace of reading is pretty difficult, especially when you factor in the supplementary readings for the assignments and what not. And the majority of the assignments... if you can't prove your point well enough, your screwed.
I can speak for music, not english though. Although some of our schedules may be sparse it's the amount of work we put into it outside of classes, and first year music students actually take 33 units just like eng students. Some of us put in quite a few extra hours of practicing everyday and it's not really something you can just cram for.

J. Dorey likes this.
Old 11-25-2011 at 05:17 PM   #66
mastercool

Liked: 22 Times

Not sure how true this is, but I heard the Mo-mac Radiation Sciences program is the hardest program at the university.

Really makes me question whether I should be applying next year. I mean, I work hard, but I'm no genius or anything...
Old 11-25-2011 at 06:25 PM   #67
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastercool View Post
Not sure how true this is, but I heard the Mo-mac Radiation Sciences program is the hardest program at the university.

Really makes me question whether I should be applying next year. I mean, I work hard, but I'm no genius or anything...
That's the first I've heard someone say that...

You should really just try it and decide for yourself. No one else can tell you how hard/easy you will find a program.
Old 11-27-2011 at 01:43 PM   #68
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 461 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastercool View Post

People in the Med Rad program have told me otherwise.