English 3C06? K.Genrich Academics 0 06-09-2010 03:15 PM
does anyone know how english 1a03 is? Mali Academics 11 12-21-2009 10:24 PM
English 3W03 kokosas 3rd Year Course Reviews 1 12-11-2008 11:41 AM

English help

Old 10-08-2010 at 11:20 PM   #1
De La Soul

Liked: 1 Time

English help
So, I'm a first year Humanities student and I plan on majoring in English. I was just wondering if there's any drop is programs for essay help or anything like that. I really don't know a lot of people in my classes and I'd feel more confident if I had someone to look over my work before I submitted it.
I'm mainly looking for essay editing with English & Philosophy and if there is anything for Linguistics I could definitely use that too...

p.s. I'm looking for FREE programs, really not tryna spend any money.
Old 10-09-2010 at 12:24 AM   #2
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

Depending on their budget, sometimes the English department has an essay help person. You're best to email your TA and ask if they're offering the program this year.

Other than that, if you want something free you're either going to have to ask a friend and/or peer OR pay.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 10-09-2010 at 06:15 AM   #3
reeves
Jedi IRL

Liked: 557 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by De La Soul View Post
So, I'm a first year Humanities student and I plan on majoring in English. I was just wondering if there's any drop is programs for essay help or anything like that. I really don't know a lot of people in my classes and I'd feel more confident if I had someone to look over my work before I submitted it.
I'm mainly looking for essay editing with English & Philosophy and if there is anything for Linguistics I could definitely use that too...

p.s. I'm looking for FREE programs, really not tryna spend any money.
Idk about English, having never taken it, but there's really not much to Linguistics 1A03. The assignments are pretty basic, and no real writing has to be done. Having said that, should you need a hand with, or proofreading of, your Ling assignments, PM me about it.
Old 10-09-2010 at 09:26 AM   #4
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

You may want to check these out too: http://freelanceswitch.com/freebies/...lanc e+Switch)

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 10-09-2010 at 10:28 AM   #5
Deegs14
Cogito, ergo sum

Liked: 156 Times

I use a site called senteceworks.com - it checks for plagiarism, spelling errors, grammar, improper sentences, etc.
Its free for McMaster students so I say definitely check it out.
Also, if you have some brothers or sisters or just someone in your family (preferably in a different faculty) to check it over, that’s good.
I always have my brother check over my work before I hand it in and vice versa. Just make sure they are critical of your work.
Also, reading out your work aloud - however stupid it may sound - works really well. You'll catch a lot of errors reading it over like that.
Old 10-09-2010 at 11:08 AM   #6
AelyaS
Fitzgerald groupie

Liked: 521 Times

I would, in all honesty, look over your papers, but I have so many of my own right now :(

Other than that, keep an eye out for writing workshops. Also, your TA needs to know how important this is to you, so keep them updated, and hopefully they will pas along any opportunities.
Old 10-09-2010 at 02:03 PM   #7
lizziepizzie
aka Mrs. Henry Cavill

Liked: 423 Times

Usually the English dept. offers extra help. When I was in 1st year they gave us people to contact. Your TA is there to help you, and also ask your TA if they know of any other programs to help Humanities students. If they don't know anything, go down to CSD and ask there. I'm just wondering if you have English: Longer Genres this semester?
Old 10-09-2010 at 02:39 PM   #8
eleduc

Liked: 49 Times

1) The English Department staffs a writing tutor almost every year to help out.
2) Ask your T.A. if you can submit an outline to them before the essay is due so they can take a look
3) Even just having a friend read back your paper and tell you if they can understand your argument is a huge indicator of your writing skills. It isn't the same when you read it over in your head because you know what you are trying to say so your brain automatically skips over any mistakes or inconsistencies.
4) Still having trouble? Visit the CSD and book an appointment with a councilor. They offer tons of solutions for students.

Good Luck!

AelyaS likes this.