MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Entrance Scholarship? MaryS Financial Aid 5 09-23-2010 11:53 PM
Entrance Scholarship not showing on PA? kwun First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 9 08-23-2009 09:57 PM
Entrance Scholarship Question holagurrl Financial Aid 54 07-30-2009 12:37 AM
Entrance Scholarship? KafiaJM First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 10 05-26-2009 03:20 AM
entrance scholarship pinkpony First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 08-09-2008 02:50 PM

Entrance Scholarship

Old 05-28-2008 at 03:36 PM   #16
kokosas
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 23 Times

As someone on OSAP and someone who's had to convince the Financial Aid and Scholarships office that I needed their help desperately I suggest yes, try whatever means that you can.

Call or email the Financial Aid Office and ask them what your options are. There may be nothing that they can do but they can also give you other options. Like Lorend mentioned before there are other bursaries and scholarships that are available to you. I am technically an independent student by special circumstances, which means I don't need my parents financial information in order to apply for OSAP even though I don't qualify as 'independent' in the eyes of OSAP (ie: a mother, married, or out of school for 4 years or longer) so there are ways to bend the rules in some cases. I can't promise that they will be able to do something but if you can prove that your parents, despite their incomes, cannot afford to pay your fees then you might have a winning shot and that's always worth a try!

However!
If your parents simply refuse to give you funding... I doubt there would be anything that the financial aid office can do, but nonetheless a little information never hurts.

Last edited by kokosas : 05-28-2008 at 03:39 PM.
Old 05-28-2008 at 03:37 PM   #17
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

Unfortunately if you're not on OSAP you can't apply to most bursaries through Mac. I've tried every year and nada.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 05-28-2008 at 03:47 PM   #18
Eva C
Elite Member

Liked: 3 Times

that really sucks..... the only other way is.. to work and make the money yourself.. :(
Old 05-28-2008 at 04:46 PM   #19
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Ohhh indeed. I worked part-time 2.5 jobs from March til the end of April, I'm working full-time now until the Wednesday of Welcome Week, and then back to two part-time jobs until the end of October.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 05-28-2008 at 05:23 PM   #20
Eva C
Elite Member

Liked: 3 Times

that's tough.. where do you work? i hope that at least its more enjoyable work so you have some fun while you are earning some money. must be hard to be at school and working the same time..
Old 05-28-2008 at 06:07 PM   #21
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Compass (previously as a Customer Service Rep, now Internal Coordinator) and for the FYEO.

Old 05-28-2008 at 07:59 PM   #22
woodlawngirl

Liked: 0 Times

does anyone know if there is any scholarships/bursaries for out of province students? ahha just hoping...
Old 05-28-2008 at 08:03 PM   #23
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Off-hand, no. But you can look on the SFAS website: http://sfas.mcmaster.ca/

And you may be able to get things from your specific province/territory because you are coming from elsewhere....so I'd check that out.

Old 06-07-2008 at 11:05 PM   #24
sinthusized
Elite Member

Liked: 98 Times

Hi if i do a gr 12 course in summer school this July and it is high enough to boost my avg for the next entrance award level, will it be included? Thanks
Old 06-08-2008 at 07:45 PM   #25
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

I'm not entirely positive, but I don't think so.

I believe you are offered the scholarship based on your final marks that confirm your admission, and not from any subsequent courses. Again, I suggest contacting Financial Services.

Old 06-09-2008 at 02:47 PM   #26
katie_batt

Liked: 9 Times

Have all of the entrance scholarship letters gone out yet? because I have an 84% average and I havent gotten anything. I'm going into social scienece
Old 06-09-2008 at 06:04 PM   #27
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,730 Times

I'm not sure if letters are sent out, but the money should appear in your account when you go to confirm your payment agreement after picking courses on SOLAR. It will be a funding option and you can thus apply the scholarship money to your tuition costs.

Since you have an 84% average you get $750 annually for your first two years (thus $1500 in total)

http://sfas.mcmaster.ca/entrance.html
Old 06-09-2008 at 06:12 PM   #28
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

IF you keep the average that you need.

Old 06-09-2008 at 07:07 PM   #29
J-Met
Elite Member

Liked: 135 Times

I was wondering....If I manage to make the 90% range in high school, ill get 2000$ first year. However, if I dont make the second highest tier (whatever the university equivalent of the 90% range) after first year, will I simply drop down to getting 1000$ second year, or would I get $0 because I got admitted being within the 90% range?
Old 06-09-2008 at 08:07 PM   #30
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

I believe you need to get a 10 average (so 80-84) to maintain the scholarship. Anything below that and you get nothing.