MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Entrance Scholarship? MaryS Financial Aid 5 09-23-2010 11:53 PM
Entrance Scholarship Question holagurrl Financial Aid 54 07-30-2009 12:37 AM
Entrance Scholarship? KafiaJM First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 10 05-26-2009 03:20 AM
entrance scholarship pinkpony First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 08-09-2008 02:50 PM
Entrance Scholarship jag6232 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 33 06-09-2008 11:13 PM

Entrance scholarship as a cheque?

Old 08-02-2011 at 12:14 PM   #1
callmeliz

Liked: 0 Times

Entrance scholarship as a cheque?
Hi, i wanted to know if its possible to not use our entrance scholarships towards paying for tuition, but to receive it as a cheque, in the mail instead. I would like to use it for other purposes such as buying textbooks.

Does anyone know how and/or if i can do this? (and would i be able to get the cheque in time for September?)

thanks!
Old 08-02-2011 at 12:17 PM   #2
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by callmeliz View Post
Hi, i wanted to know if its possible to not use our entrance scholarships towards paying for tuition, but to receive it as a cheque, in the mail instead. I would like to use it for other purposes such as buying textbooks.

Does anyone know how and/or if i can do this? (and would i be able to get the cheque in time for September?)

thanks!
I believe it automatically goes to your student account. So to get it as a cheque you would need to go to Student Accounts and Cashiers on the second floor of Gilmour Hall.

I'm now entirely sure though, it's been a long time since I've had the entrance scholarship. You may want to contact sfas to make sure. sfas.mcmaster.ca
Old 08-02-2011 at 12:50 PM   #3
Rayine
Elite Member

Liked: 207 Times

You can receive your entrance scholarship as a cheque.
On your payment agreement, DO NOT select the scholarship as a source of payment. This money will NOT be deducted from you total payment, and will instead go directly into your student account.

Then, ask the Student Accounts and Cashiers office to write you a cheque for the balance on your student account. If you have payed off any fees owing to the school, including whatever you have owe for tuition/residence/meal as chosen by your payment agreement, you should have a positive balance on your student account for the total of the entrance scholarship.

I hope this made sense.

Its also not likely you'll be able to get it by sept. since the finance office is currently processing thousands of fees and are incredibly busy.
If you want to use it to buy textbooks, what you can do is just leave it in your student account. Then at Titles (the bookstore), fill out a form that allows your student card to be used as a credit card. This credit comes directly from your student account, and if you didnt use your scholarship towards tuition, the funds should be in your student account. This way you can access those funds using your student card as a credit card at Titles.
President, McMaster Undergraduate Society for the Chemical Sciences

Last edited by Rayine : 08-02-2011 at 12:53 PM.
Old 08-02-2011 at 01:01 PM   #4
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by djRAIN View Post
Then, ask the Student Accounts and Cashiers office to write you a cheque for the balance on your student account. If you have payed off any fees owing to the school, including whatever you have owe for tuition/residence/meal as chosen by your payment agreement, you should have a positive balance on your student account for the total of the entrance scholarship.
Positive Numbers means you owe McMaster money
Negative Numbers means McMaster owes you money
Old 08-02-2011 at 01:20 PM   #5
MacAttk

Liked: 38 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by callmeliz View Post

thanks!
You know you can just have the money put in your student account and you can actually buy your books using your student account. No need for a cheque.
Old 08-02-2011 at 02:26 PM   #6
InvisoBill

Liked: 23 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacAttk View Post
You know you can just have the money put in your student account and you can actually buy your books using your student account. No need for a cheque.
What if you want to buy your books... from the BLACK MARKET!