MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
When will I get my entrance scholarship? Unregistered First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 07-26-2012 03:56 PM
Entrance Scholarship? MaryS Financial Aid 5 09-23-2010 11:53 PM
Entrance Scholarship? KafiaJM First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 10 05-26-2009 03:20 AM
entrance scholarship pinkpony First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 08-09-2008 02:50 PM
Entrance Scholarship jag6232 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 33 06-09-2008 11:13 PM

entrance scholarship usage

Old 08-30-2012 at 02:14 PM   #1
banana93

Liked: 11 Times

entrance scholarship usage
hi. I'll be receiving entrance scholarship.
i heard if you want to use it as you please, meaning not only using it towards school.
mcmaster will refund it as a cheque? how do you get it as a cheque from the beginning, because i like to use it as i please, not only toward school. just go to mcmaster financial aid office and ask to refund it?
Old 08-30-2012 at 02:45 PM   #2
Snowman
Elite Member

Liked: 180 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by banana93 View Post
i heard if you want to use it as you please, meaning not only using it towards school.
mcmaster will refund it as a cheque? how do you get it as a cheque from the beginning, because i like to use it as i please, not only toward school. just go to mcmaster financial aid office and ask to refund it?
Have you paid for school already? Basically however you are paying for school, just pay less and use the entrance scholarship to pay for some of it to reduce paperwork. Then take that amount and pocket it.

banana93 says thanks to Snowman for this post.
Old 08-30-2012 at 03:08 PM   #3
Rayine
Elite Member

Liked: 207 Times

You should see the amount of your entrance scholarship.

If you check the box next to it when confirming your payment agreement, that amount will be deducted from your tuition, meaning it was applied directly towards your tuition.

If you choose not to check that box, then it will not be deducted from your tuition, and instead credited into your student account, which you may receive a reimbursement cheque for later.
President, McMaster Undergraduate Society for the Chemical Sciences

banana93 says thanks to Rayine for this post.
Old 08-30-2012 at 03:26 PM   #4
banana93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayine View Post
You should see the amount of your entrance scholarship.

If you check the box next to it when confirming your payment agreement, that amount will be deducted from your tuition, meaning it was applied directly towards your tuition.

If you choose not to check that box, then it will not be deducted from your tuition, and instead credited into your student account, which you may receive a reimbursement cheque for later.

I did not check that box. I will be receiving $1000. So I ca. Just pocket it? Without spendinh toward school at all )
Old 08-30-2012 at 03:29 PM   #5
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

Quote:
It is possible to get it as a cheque; there might be a waiting period and you'll have to go to student accounts and cashiers and it will be kind of a pain.
It's much easier to just use it for tuition...I understand preferring to use it for whatever you want, but really, say tuition is $6000 and you have a $2000 scholarship...you pay $6000 now and get $2000 back later, or you just pay $4000 from the beginning, and you end up with the same amount of money in your bank account, to use "however you please". The only way it would make a difference is if you are receiving more funding than your tuition costs.

Edit: or if someone else is paying for your schooling. But then that's just selfish. Idk if that's the case for you, but it is another possibility.
Old 08-30-2012 at 03:35 PM   #6
Schen

Liked: 3 Times

You could email the student accounts and cashier office and request them to give you a cheque of the the amount the scholarship (if it's a credit in your student account).
Old 08-30-2012 at 03:46 PM   #7
banana93

Quote:
Originally Posted by starfish View Post
It is possible to get it as a cheque; there might be a waiting period and you'll have to go to student accounts and cashiers and it will be kind of a pain.
It's much easier to just use it for tuition...I understand preferring to use it for whatever you want, but really, say tuition is $6000 and you have a $2000 scholarship...you pay $6000 now and get $2000 back later, or you just pay $4000 from the beginning, and you end up with the same amount of money in your bank account, to use "however you please". The only way it would make a difference is if you are receiving more funding than your tuition costs.

Edit: or if someone else is paying for your schooling. But then that's just selfish. Idk if that's the case for you, but it is another possibility.
lol. thanks. I'm not being selfish though...my parents were just wondering if it's possible.
Old 08-30-2012 at 06:05 PM   #8
Quiver

Liked: 126 Times

Kind of off topic, but wouldn't you have to end up paying the difference in tuition anyway? You can pocket your 1000 for personal use, but that just means you have to pay 1000 to the school, so it makes no difference? Not trying to say anything in particular, but just wondering if I'm missing something here.
Old 08-30-2012 at 06:32 PM   #9
banana93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiver View Post
Kind of off topic, but wouldn't you have to end up paying the difference in tuition anyway? You can pocket your 1000 for personal use, but that just means you have to pay 1000 to the school, so it makes no difference? Not trying to say anything in particular, but just wondering if I'm missing something here.
nono. you are absolutely correct. I was thinking of transferring the scholarship into my student account, not my tuition fee. Hence if there are any leftovers in my student account after buying textbooks,,,,ect, then I can pocket it. Nothing that intresting ~3~
Old 08-31-2012 at 08:08 AM   #10
MacPack
Offical Deal Blogger
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 160 Times

But you will have to wait sometime , probably not until October after they are done handling their main business with everyone's account. So using that money to pay off your books wouldn't really happen. Call them today and find out how long you would have to wait. But Im sure its not in time for books since they usually mail the cheque and not just credit it to your account. I forgot which funding it was but I remember one of them (osap, bursary , some scholarship I dunno) was at least by second semester if you didn't pay your tuition it would automatically go to that.
Old 08-31-2012 at 08:45 AM   #11
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

Quote:
nono. you are absolutely correct. I was thinking of transferring the scholarship into my student account, not my tuition fee. Hence if there are any leftovers in my student account after buying textbooks,,,,ect, then I can pocket it. Nothing that intresting ~3~
It still doesn't make a difference then...there's extra that you can "pocket" but you still ended up paying $1000 "extra" for tuition. Whether that $1000 goes towards tuition or towards books + your bank account, there's no net difference to you, provided the $1000 going towards tuition comes out of your account as well.
It's possible to get the cheque, but it's a pain to do, and it seems like a lot of work for nothing.

MacPack, TheCrucible like this.
Old 08-31-2012 at 09:43 AM   #12
campbekn

Liked: 2 Times

Have your parents pay the full tuition amount listed at the top right of payment agreement. The scholarship will remain in your account and you can have it sent as a cheque to you, that's what I do.
Old 08-31-2012 at 09:44 AM   #13
campbekn

Liked: 2 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacPack View Post
But you will have to wait sometime , probably not until October after they are done handling their main business with everyone's account. So using that money to pay off your books wouldn't really happen. Call them today and find out how long you would have to wait. But Im sure its not in time for books since they usually mail the cheque and not just credit it to your account. I forgot which funding it was but I remember one of them (osap, bursary , some scholarship I dunno) was at least by second semester if you didn't pay your tuition it would automatically go to that.
I always get the cheque mailed to me and it only ever takes a few days?
Old 08-31-2012 at 11:02 AM   #14
MacPack
Offical Deal Blogger
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 160 Times

That during downtime . He/she might get lucky thats why i said to call. when i went to get money back (overpaid something) they are like we are busy right now come back in two weeks or so