MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Life Science vs. Kinesiology Kyle 24 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 17 06-09-2010 03:47 PM
Kinesiology vs Life Sciences Angoose First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 7 05-07-2010 10:53 PM
Kinesiology 1A03/1Y03 for 1st year Life Sci Freak705 Academics 5 08-17-2009 05:11 PM
kinesiology shreya s. First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 06-26-2008 05:14 PM

Enviro /life sci/ Kinesiology

Old 03-12-2011 at 08:40 PM   #1
lifesciman1

Liked: 59 Times

Enviro /life sci/ Kinesiology
Hi, I had a question regarding these programs. First of all, is life sci easier to get into than kinesiology? how are the stats from past years? can an 85 get me into kin at MAC ? Also if i do not get into life sci i plan to go to enviro and just apply to 2nd year majors in life sci. Would me taking enviro and then transfer (not sure if that would be a real transfer) affect any of my med school prerequisites? i plan to go to med school and dont want to take summer classes..would taking the enviro path force me to take summer classes to meet the requirements for med schools in Canada?...also is the transfer complicated or can be easily achieved? Im a pretty good student

Sorry if I asked for too much, all the help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-12-2011 at 09:54 PM   #2
Willmountain
Master and Commander

Liked: 69 Times

I'm in Kin, and first of all, it's freaking awesome. I believe the cutoff for when I applied in 2008 was 86, and maintaining an 83 for the remainder of the year. I've heard that transferring into Kin is very very difficult, as nobody leaves, lots of people want in, and it's a small faculty.

If I were you, I'd apply for both, and if you want to go to med school, either is a good option, but I'm biased towards Kin, and everyone I know loves it.
Old 03-13-2011 at 03:24 PM   #3
MirandaC

Liked: 41 Times

I do not think Life sci is hard or easy to get into. It seems pretty fair. I got in this year with a 90 average and they told me to keep my average over 84, which makes sense because the cutoff said "mid to high eightites."
Just try your best. You do not actually need a 90 to get in.
Old 03-13-2011 at 05:58 PM   #4
guest_295
Happy and Helpful

Liked: 14 Times

Either of those paths can take you to med school ( well i know nothign about enviro sci but I assume..) . If you are a good student getting accepted wont be too big of an issue but id say to apply to all and make a decision rather than putting all your options into one and maybe not getting in. Its difficult to transfer because transfering is based on UNI marks. Im in KIN (PSSST CHOOSE KIN ) and it allows you to meet med school reqs by taking electives throughout the year along wiht the kin courses. Again I dont know much about enviro sci but I would assume that lifesci and Kin would have more required courses that satisfy reqs for med school that would allow you to avoid taking summer school...

If your overall focus is not just med school and you really are into enviro sci.. unless you want to maybe minor in it ( which would likely mess up your reqs for med school by using up your electives in enviro courses) then maybe Kin is not for you. Nothing related to enviro sci in kin (again unless its an elective).

I applied to both kin and lifesci -- generally if youre makrs are good for one theyre good for the other. High 80s atleast.
Then it might get into space availability not so much grades...

Last edited by guest_295 : 03-13-2011 at 06:03 PM.

lifesciman1 says thanks to guest_295 for this post.
Old 03-13-2011 at 06:06 PM   #5
guest_295
Happy and Helpful

Liked: 14 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willmountain View Post
I've heard that transferring into Kin is very very difficult, as nobody leaves, lots of people want in, and it's a small faculty.

ps. I dont know where you have been but our faculty has shrunk over the past three years! People did not seem to understand the science based approach that kin has. People were put on acedemic probation after first year and failed to meet requirements in second year to stay in the program.

That being said that doesnt make it any easier to transfer into kin.
Old 03-13-2011 at 06:51 PM   #6
lifesciman1

Quote:
Originally Posted by malakovski View Post
Either of those paths can take you to med school ( well i know nothign about enviro sci but I assume..) . If you are a good student getting accepted wont be too big of an issue but id say to apply to all and make a decision rather than putting all your options into one and maybe not getting in. Its difficult to transfer because transfering is based on UNI marks. Im in KIN (PSSST CHOOSE KIN ) and it allows you to meet med school reqs by taking electives throughout the year along wiht the kin courses. Again I dont know much about enviro sci but I would assume that lifesci and Kin would have more required courses that satisfy reqs for med school that would allow you to avoid taking summer school...

If your overall focus is not just med school and you really are into enviro sci.. unless you want to maybe minor in it ( which would likely mess up your reqs for med school by using up your electives in enviro courses) then maybe Kin is not for you. Nothing related to enviro sci in kin (again unless its an elective).

I applied to both kin and lifesci -- generally if youre makrs are good for one theyre good for the other. High 80s atleast.
Then it might get into space availability not so much grades...
My anticipated average is around 86%ish that is why I am biting my nails.
Old 03-13-2011 at 08:22 PM   #7
jamiebenyovi

Liked: 7 Times

Kin has has less prereqs from high school if i remember correctly. I ended up being accepted to Kin but not life sci so i went into enviro sci but plan on going into life sci next year. I think Kin allowed you to have one more elective mark which brought my average up which is why i got accepted to that rather than life sci

my average for the prereqs for Kin was an 88 while for life sci it was an 85.6 or something like that so in some cases, depending on how your other marks are, you may get into Kin and not life sci

Last edited by jamiebenyovi : 03-13-2011 at 08:24 PM.

lifesciman1 says thanks to jamiebenyovi for this post.
Old 03-13-2011 at 09:31 PM   #8
lifesciman1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiebenyovi View Post
Kin has has less prereqs from high school if i remember correctly. I ended up being accepted to Kin but not life sci so i went into enviro sci but plan on going into life sci next year. I think Kin allowed you to have one more elective mark which brought my average up which is why i got accepted to that rather than life sci

my average for the prereqs for Kin was an 88 while for life sci it was an 85.6 or something like that so in some cases, depending on how your other marks are, you may get into Kin and not life sci
what courses are you taking in 1st year? is it mandatory to take enviro courses, or can i just take the prereqs?
Old 03-13-2011 at 09:34 PM   #9
jamiebenyovi

Liked: 7 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifesciman1 View Post
what courses are you taking in 1st year? is it mandatory to take enviro courses, or can i just take the prereqs?
you don't have to take them but i did because the courses i wanted to take instead were full
i took/am taking

chem 1a03/1aa3
bio 1a03/1mo3
psych 1x03/1xx3
enviro 1g03/1a03
math 1ls3
physics 1l03
Old 03-13-2011 at 11:01 PM   #10
lifesciman1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiebenyovi View Post
you don't have to take them but i did because the courses i wanted to take instead were full
i took/am taking

chem 1a03/1aa3
bio 1a03/1mo3
psych 1x03/1xx3
enviro 1g03/1a03
math 1ls3
physics 1l03
oh ok, Well I plan on taking
-Biology 1A03
-Biology 1M03
-Psychology 1X03
-Psychology 1XX3
-Mathematics 1A03
-Chemistry 1A03
-Chemistry 1AA3
-Physics 1B03
-Kinesiology 1YY3

will I be allowed to do this? and by the way I was to go to med school or at least apply..would this cover the prereqs or restrict me in anyway? (did yyou have to take that enviro course?
Old 03-13-2011 at 11:06 PM   #11
sf

Liked: 36 Times

Quote:
oh ok, Well I plan on taking
-Biology 1A03
-Biology 1M03
-Psychology 1X03
-Psychology 1XX3
-Mathematics 1A03
-Chemistry 1A03
-Chemistry 1AA3
-Physics 1B03
-Kinesiology 1YY3

will I be allowed to do this? and by the way I was to go to med school or at least apply..would this cover the prereqs or restrict me in anyway? (did yyou have to take that enviro course?

As Jamie said, no you do not have to take the enviro courses, you can take the exact same courses as someone in life sci. Also, you cannot fill the prereq's for med school in one year. Honestly, why don't you spend some time researching what you need to get into med school so you can see for youself, because you seem to be super paranoid even though you haven't even started university yet.
Old 03-13-2011 at 11:09 PM   #12
lifesciman1

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephfraser View Post
As Jamie said, no you do not have to take the enviro courses, you can take the exact same courses as someone in life sci. Also, you cannot fill the prereq's for med school in one year. Honestly, why don't you spend some time researching what you need to get into med school so you can see for youself, because you seem to be super paranoid even though you haven't even started university yet.
Haha, Im not paranoid, Im leaving for the summer so I dont wanna screw anything up and want to leave without worries. Im what you call a keener D
Old 03-13-2011 at 11:13 PM   #13
sf

Worry about med school after you survive first year. But seriously, you have lots of time to figure out what you are going to take and what you will need to get into med school (for some reason I have a feeling you need 2 physics courses, but I could be wrong). Most people will tell you that although you may be set on going to med school now that may change when you find out about some of the awesome science programs Mac has.
Old 03-13-2011 at 11:15 PM   #14
lifesciman1

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephfraser View Post
Worry about med school after you survive first year. But seriously, you have lots of time to figure out what you are going to take and what you will need to get into med school (for some reason I have a feeling you need 2 physics courses, but I could be wrong). Most people will tell you that although you may be set on going to med school now that may change when you find out about some of the awesome science programs Mac has.
Are there a lot of research opportunities at mac? I would be really interested
Old 03-13-2011 at 11:17 PM   #15
sf

Quote:
Are there a lot of research opportunities at mac? I would be really interested
As far as like working with a prof? Ya, there definitely are research opportunities. Some programs require you to do a thesis, which is based around doing your own research. There are also programs that have courses where you get to work with profs on some of their projects. If you look hard enough you will find a ton of opportunities.