MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Exam Deferral Denial? MacNeuro Academics 7 12-22-2012 10:01 AM
Exam deferral leehh4 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 9 04-23-2012 10:56 AM
Exam deferral and review period quiazorj Academics 4 04-21-2012 10:38 PM
Final Exam Deferral daniasa Academics 4 04-12-2012 12:17 AM
Exam Deferral Question robots Academics 5 04-23-2011 11:48 PM

Exam deferral, too late to hand in note? and grade for course is up.

Old 12-25-2012 at 12:29 AM   #1
Tucson

Liked: 0 Times

Exam deferral, too late to hand in note? and grade for course is up.
So basically I was sick and missed my exam and couldn't get the doctors not till a week and a half later due to transportation issues and cause I literally couldn't get out of bed without something bad happening. when I was about to hand in the doctors note to the associate dean the next day the office was already closed even though they said they're open till 9-4pm. Exams are now over and my grade is up for the course I missed and I was given a zero and I had a 80 going into the exam. Can I still hand in my exam deferral form in January and get some relief and be able to the write the exam in February during reading week? I'm terrified that they won't be able to change it and all my effort would be for nothing.
Old 12-25-2012 at 02:52 AM   #2
Alomar12

Liked: 42 Times

The University is closed through January 1. Contact them on January 2 just to be safe. I had a similar situation arise during December exams last year, and I called my Associate Dean ASAP (in your case, Jan. 2) and was instructed to bring appropriate documentation to the office on the first day of class. I had no problems.

Last edited by Alomar12 : 12-25-2012 at 03:09 AM. Reason: Did further research. Corrected an error.
Old 12-25-2012 at 10:25 AM   #3
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

Yeah I think the biggest issue you might have is that your doctor's note was a week and a half after your exam date...
And then if you were still able to go to the associate dean's office I'm assuming that the exam was pretty early on, I think they'd be more likely to make exceptions if your exam was near the end and there wasn't time to get to McMaster before the school closed.

They tend to be lenient if it's your first deferral so you'll most likely be okay, but it's not guaranteed.
Old 12-25-2012 at 11:19 AM   #4
biglandfarm

Liked: 66 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by starfish View Post
Yeah I think the biggest issue you might have is that your doctor's note was a week and a half after your exam date...
And then if you were still able to go to the associate dean's office I'm assuming that the exam was pretty early on, I think they'd be more likely to make exceptions if your exam was near the end and there wasn't time to get to McMaster before the school closed.

They tend to be lenient if it's your first deferral so you'll most likely be okay, but it's not guaranteed.
mabye get another note from your doctor to some how prove that you were already sick for a week?
Old 12-25-2012 at 09:48 PM   #5
drpatel

Liked: 70 Times

as long as you prove that you really were as sick as you say you were, I don't think it was a problem...if it was something common like the flu or cold, you may have issues.
but good luck