MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Electives!!! shadfan First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 22 06-30-2011 01:32 PM
Electives MirandaC Academics 4 05-08-2011 12:13 PM
Help with Electives precious Academics 6 12-25-2009 07:11 AM
Exciting New Changes Coming To The McMaster Libraries Chad MacInsiders Announcements 2 08-27-2008 01:21 PM

Exciting and Fun electives

Old 06-14-2011 at 01:31 PM   #1
shaan

Liked: 0 Times

Exciting and Fun electives
i want to know want are some exciting electives to take that would be very interesting. list whatever YOU think is fun and exciting. im interested in anything. im in 2nd yr chem engineering but this doesn't matter. please say everything, it doesnt matter what year it is for just say anything. thanks

Last edited by shaan : 06-14-2011 at 02:10 PM.
Old 06-14-2011 at 01:32 PM   #2
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaan View Post
i want to know want are some exciting electives to take that would be very interesting. please say everything, it doesnt matter what year it is for just say anything. thanks
Well "fun and exciting" varies from one person to another.. Maybe list some subjects you're interested in and we can recommend courses within these departments? Also, it would help if you listed what program you're in..
Old 06-14-2011 at 01:51 PM   #3
shaan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*Sara*~ View Post
Well "fun and exciting" varies from one person to another.. Maybe list some subjects you're interested in and we can recommend courses within these departments? Also, it would help if you listed what program you're in..
list whatever YOU think is fun and exciting. im interested in anything. im in engineering but this doesn't matter
Old 06-14-2011 at 01:58 PM   #4
lizziepizzie
aka Mrs. Henry Cavill

Liked: 423 Times

English 1a03!!!

Faer, J. Dorey like this.
Old 06-14-2011 at 02:01 PM   #5
J. Dorey
Elite Member

Liked: 169 Times

Classics 1B03. McLean is hilarious, material is pretty interesting.
Old 06-14-2011 at 02:02 PM   #6
Zimonada

Liked: 34 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaan View Post
list whatever YOU think is fun and exciting. im interested in anything. im in engineering but this doesn't matter
Being in eng actually matters a ton, because there's a whole ton of electives you AREN'T allowed to take, because you're in eng. Here's the list of courses you CAN take:

http://www.eng.mcmaster.ca/documents/electives.pdf

But yeah, first year I took Communications Studies and Anthro. Communications was pretty interesting, if you're into it. Pretty much like Media Studies from high school, just at a different level. It was a pretty epic elective in my opinion; 2 or 3 journals, 1 essay, 1 small small presentation (in tutorial), and NO MIDTERM. Really chill class. I actually recommend it.

Anthro I was bored out of my mind in; I took anthro in high school too but I wasn't a fan of it here. I skipped the bulk of my classes because the prof we had just read off the lecture slides (there was no reason to show up for class, besides the videos). But that was mostly because she was a terrible prof. Anthro is interesting if you're into it, and will put the effort in I suppose.

I'm also taking psych over the summer (exam in 2 days, wooooooo) and I love it. Advantage is you have web lectures, so you technically don't have to "go" to class, you just need to make sure you stay on top of the work. The material is really straightforward, a direct repeat of high school psych (if you took that). The prof is entertaining to say the least, and the quizzes and assignments are pretty easy. The midterms/exams are challenging to a lot of people supposedly, but I haven't had issues with it yet. Oh, and you can take it as an engineer.
Old 06-14-2011 at 02:09 PM   #7
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

It does matter because what someone defines as "fun and exciting" could be of no interest whatsoever to you. Also, your faculty/program matters as well. But anyway, I'm interested in language so I enjoyed French 1A06 also, I really liked Kin 1Y03 and 1YY3 (Anatomy and Physio) as well as Health & Aging 1BB3 (has an experiential learning component).
Old 06-14-2011 at 02:11 PM   #8
siefer1322

Liked: 96 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizziepizzie View Post
English 1a03!!!
not sure if serious...
Old 06-14-2011 at 02:14 PM   #9
lizziepizzie
aka Mrs. Henry Cavill

I didn't know you only can take certain electives in eng! Okay, well I also recommend English 1CS3 (Culture Studies). It's a hell of a lot of fun and super interesting! English 1AA3 (long genres) is also great, the content is mostly modern texts, however that was under the direction of Dr. Brophy who has taught it the past two years. It's a new prof this year so the material is up in the air. Peace Studies 1A03 is also good, but I like the English classes the best.
Old 06-14-2011 at 02:38 PM   #10
Faer
Elite Member

Liked: 338 Times

Linguistics 1A03! Best course EVER.
Old 06-14-2011 at 02:48 PM   #11
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizziepizzie View Post
I didn't know you only can take certain electives in eng! Okay, well I also recommend English 1CS3 (Culture Studies). It's a hell of a lot of fun and super interesting! English 1AA3 (long genres) is also great, the content is mostly modern texts, however that was under the direction of Dr. Brophy who has taught it the past two years. It's a new prof this year so the material is up in the air. Peace Studies 1A03 is also good, but I like the English classes the best.
Side note- Can you please post a review for Eng 1CS3? I've been thinking about taking it, but I don't know too much about it :/ Please and thank you!
Old 06-14-2011 at 02:59 PM   #12
lizziepizzie
aka Mrs. Henry Cavill

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*Sara*~ View Post
Side note- Can you please post a review for Eng 1CS3? I've been thinking about taking it, but I don't know too much about it :/ Please and thank you!
I'm trying to write one but the text box will only let me write 5 lines!
Old 06-14-2011 at 03:04 PM   #13
shaan

i thought someone would have mentioned theatre and film and anthro witchcraft nut i guess i was wrong. the classes that were mentioned would have never entered my mind but im gonna look into them. thanks for the suggestions and please keep them coming.
Old 06-14-2011 at 06:21 PM   #14
RVD1018

arent the english classes real hard
Old 06-14-2011 at 06:33 PM   #15
AelyaS
Fitzgerald groupie

Liked: 521 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVD1018 View Post
arent the english classes real hard

Depends. If you're willing to do all the readings in a non half-assed way and actually participate (participation in discussion is crucial towards your mark) and encompass everything you are supposed to know in some way into every essay you write, then no, it isn't.

But if you're not going to do the readings (can't stress this enough. DO THE ****ING READINGS PEOPLE), then you're not going to do well.