MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
mcmaster external bursaries. the due dates are 2008 and 2006?? memyselfandi First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 09-02-2010 11:32 PM
External Funding Option During Payment Conf Question Desda First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 07-08-2010 06:47 PM
Please, please do not strike anywhere near the hospital Kathy2 General Discussion 6 11-01-2009 11:24 AM
OT- Question for hospital volunteers at Mac Hospital darklink121 General Discussion 5 10-12-2009 12:07 AM
external scholarships gcruz91 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 08-31-2009 03:52 AM

External Supervisors at the hospital

Old 08-14-2010 at 07:36 PM   #1
IbrahimH

Liked: 13 Times

External Supervisors at the hospital
So I know that it is possible to work/volunteer for supervisors that do their research at the McMaster Hospital or St. Joe's. So my question is, has anyone worked for an external supervisor or done anything similar? What did your job entail? How did you go about obtaining the job?

Also, this might seem stupid, but I feel like I have a too much of a vague idea about how to e-mail such supervisors. What should I mention in my e-mail to them and how should I approach them about a position?

Thanks.
Old 08-15-2010 at 01:33 PM   #2
jasminexo

Liked: 0 Times

I'll be working with an external supervisor at St.Joe's this year. I can't really tell you what I'll be doing just yet since I won't really know until closer to the end of the month.
Getting the job simply involved emailing a whole bunch of people whose research I found interesting, but you need to make sure you email them WAYYY ahead of time (I started sending out emails in early January). Look into some of their research and tell them specifically what aspects interest you the most and kind of why you wat to work with them.

Plus you'll notice that you'll be emailing tons of profs/potential supervisors but only some of them will get back to you(usually it's because they dont really need anyone)...don't let it get to you, just keep sending out those emails.
And yes it can sometimes get to be a time consuming process

Good luck!