MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Faculty and Program Series Part Eight: Faculty of Engineering Saleha Faculty & Program Series 0 09-15-2009 12:31 AM
Faculty and Program Series Part Six: The Faculty of Health Sciences saukalra Faculty & Program Series 6 09-07-2009 10:56 PM
Faculty and Program Series Part One: The Faculty of Social Science lorend Faculty & Program Series 4 09-01-2009 09:09 AM

Faculty Of Engineering

Old 07-29-2008 at 09:29 AM   #31
JBeans

Liked: 14 Times

You cannot compare a summer course to the regular term. I took an anthro course in the summer and it was only a midterm and final. During term there's assignments.
Summer courses are not always run the same way as during the regular term.
Old 08-11-2008 at 08:04 AM   #32
stiph1275

Liked: 0 Times

Hi. If anyone is switching out of Math 1ZZ5 C02, could you let me know? It's the only core section of 1ZZ5 I can take to avoid conflicts (C01 and 03 don't work).
Thanks so much.
Old 08-20-2008 at 04:14 PM   #33
GregZ

Liked: 4 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiph1275 View Post
Hi. If anyone is switching out of Math 1ZZ5 C02, could you let me know? It's the only core section of 1ZZ5 I can take to avoid conflicts (C01 and 03 don't work).
Thanks so much.
I may be switching out as it conflicts with my 1co3 course
Old 08-21-2008 at 09:34 PM   #34
JonP

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacEng View Post
Hmmm how helpful are the first year students towards other first year students since there all competing to get into programs?

Is there like textbook sabotage or stealing old tests... cuz I am wondering if first year general is a good idea?
Lol, no, the engineering faculty tends to be pretty tightly knit, don't worry about that. You'll get your option in year two, the only ones that get competitive are the ones that are jammed for admission, and even then typically if you can clear a 70% average (7 on the Mac GPA scale) you're going to be fine.
Old 08-22-2008 at 10:55 AM   #35
hoopere
Account Disabled by User

J-Met.. im not entirely sure if it would be two separate degrees or not.. but in engineering and society you can opt to take a minor, which means that you would be taking a series of focus electives that would be put towards your minor. However, if you are unsure about anything.. you are really better off going to talk to someone like an academic councellor. If you are curious about first year eng.. go and see sally in the eng office (second floor engineering building.. there are signs inside showing you where to go) and she can help you figure out if what you are trying to do is possible, or even direct you to someone else who would be better suited to answer your question.
Old 08-22-2008 at 11:20 AM   #36
hoopere
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjs View Post
I agree about the tablet, but disagree with you about the Mac for this one reason.. If you can afford it, having an Apple laptop with Windows XP installed is a great combination. This way, you can have the best of both worlds - great components, a strong operating system (and a weaker one when you need it) so that you can have full support of any software you may need. My set-up by school time will be a MacBook Pro with Windows XP installed via Boot Camp, and a Wacom tablet for those times when diagrams are necessary. I understand that's not a setup for everyone, but if you have the means - I'd go for it. Also, for anyone planning on buying a MacBook Pro, there is a strong likelihood of a new one being announced within the month of August or September.

I agree. I have had my macbook pro for two years (including first year eng) and use bootcamp when i need it. I have found that a lot of programs have become compatible with mac over the past few years. I rarely have problems with regards to compatiblity and if for some reason i have an issue.. it is so easy to just borrow a friends windows computer for a few minutes.. if absolutely necessary. The other plus side about having a mac.. is that it has a lot of unique programs that you cant find on a pc that can be really handy, as well as most of the typical programs that you would find on a pc (such as mail.. and equivalent for outlook.. which i HIGHLY recommend setting up for your mcmaster email account). I think the absolute best things about a mac though are its durability and lack of virus/spyware related problems. Im not saying that its a good idea to go throwing your laptop around.. however i have dropped mine (from a short height) a few times.. and most of the time have barely any problems with my computer.. as the macbook pro (and probably other computers as well) has a device in it that can sense freefall or intense vibrations or something like that and it will automatically stop writing to the harddrive so that it avoids writing a bad spot in the hard drive and they also have magnetic power cord connections.. so that if the power cord gets pulled, it will fall out insead of pulling your computer with it. Mac also offers an extremely extensive warranty plan called apple care which i would also recommend. It covers any manual labor costs and parts, etc for a few years. You can find more specifics on it on mac's website. I can't tell you how many people I know that have had a key fall off their laptop keyboard and its been out of warranty and had to pay for it themselves (ie 80 dollars for just one key) and decided that it was not worth it (not relating to a macintosh computer). As you can probably tell I am a huge mac supporter, I love the operating system and its ease of use. I have had a pc before and lets just say that i will never switch back. Hope this helps anyone who is weary about purchasing a mac. However if you are still unsure.. apparently we are getting mac computers in some of the libraries in september.. so you could always try one out there. And Titles is a licensed reseller for mac, so you would be able to take it in there for any repairs or questions you would have, just as you would for a pc.
Old 09-09-2008 at 11:38 AM   #37
Mansoor

Liked: 1 Time

Physics Help!!
I am attending First year engineering and iam taking physics 1D03. My physics prof is Jobko. He is a nice guy except he is not very organized in the lecture. If anyone is taking the same course and already did the relative and absolute uncertanty assignment then please help i can even get to his website.
Old 09-09-2008 at 11:57 AM   #38
GregZ

Liked: 4 Times

Just check webct, and right from there you will see capa problem sets... click on there and from there you shouldn't get lost

Mansoor says thanks to GregZ for this post.
Old 09-09-2008 at 12:11 PM   #39
Mansoor

Thanks i got it. But i am not sure how to get to his website, the one on mcmaster physics is not his acutal website, because it only has his picture his name and some other personal info. I think he said it had the notes for each lectuer and that we have to print them out before coming to class
Old 09-09-2008 at 06:01 PM   #40
J-Met
Elite Member

Liked: 136 Times

I need that website too...he put it up onto one of his lectures but i went away too quickly for me too copyit dont. It would be handy if it were put onto webct, but ive checked and there is no link there.
Old 09-09-2008 at 09:23 PM   #41
Kevin S.
Rigid Member

Liked: 25 Times

Is it this one? http://physwww.mcmaster.ca/~jopkoam/c1d32008.html

Jopko, by the way, is a legend. I had the (mis)fortune of having him three times, twice was for the same course (here's some advice: DON'T FAIL PHYSICS 1E03). He can get boring but his demos are pretty cool. The first McMaster Engineering Musical was even written about him - Jopko and the Amazing Technicolor Vector Space.

Mansoor says thanks to Kevin S. for this post.
Old 09-15-2008 at 08:43 PM   #42
frhnh

lol, i was intimidated in the first lecture, he jumped straight into it! but his classes have been fun so far
Old 07-04-2010 at 09:20 AM   #43
thatdudeukno

Yo
Hi guys. I just posted a ton of chemical engineering textbooks in the marketplace. Check it out!
Old 09-12-2010 at 09:23 PM   #44
MasudFX

If i'm looking for someone to talk to about course load and everything where do I have to go to? (like a guidance counsellor)
Old 09-12-2010 at 09:53 PM   #45
xxsumz
Radiates Awesomeness

Liked: 333 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasudFX View Post
If i'm looking for someone to talk to about course load and everything where do I have to go to? (like a guidance counsellor)
Go to JHE A214. Speak to the academic advisor which I believe is Sally Williams.

MasudFX says thanks to xxsumz for this post.