MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Faculty and Program Series Part One: The Faculty of Social Science lorend Faculty & Program Series 4 09-01-2009 09:09 AM
Faculty and Program Series Part Four: The Faculty of Humanities feonateresa Faculty & Program Series 14 08-29-2009 11:01 AM
Humanities Faculty Night lavalampsky First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 0 09-04-2008 10:25 AM
Humanities Faculty - Events and stuff!! Chad General Discussion 0 09-25-2006 11:11 AM

Faculty Of Humanities

Old 01-30-2011 at 12:14 PM   #106
reeves
Jedi IRL

Liked: 557 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by alissa.mac View Post
hey, i know its late, but im thinking of applying to mcmasters, for english and theatre and film studies
but i was wondering, if i went into theatre and film studies if i had to take acting classes and stuff , i mainly want to focus on the film studies, and learn to produce, direct, screen write, that sort of thing. if i cant just take film, what other major do you recommend?
Unless they've changed it recently, you can do just the film side of it. I work with a guy who graduated from that program, and he didn't have to do any acting. Check out the course descriptions for the courses listed at http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /CALEN...nt/pg2208.html to make sure it hasn't changed.
Old 01-30-2011 at 12:54 PM   #107
alissa.mac

Liked: 0 Times

oh, and when im applying do i apply to both programs or just one,

like, is it an exploratory year or do i need to specify what im interested in?

respnd asap? thanks
Old 01-30-2011 at 12:58 PM   #108
reeves
Jedi IRL

Liked: 557 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by alissa.mac View Post
oh, and when im applying do i apply to both programs or just one,

like, is it an exploratory year or do i need to specify what im interested in?

respnd asap? thanks
First year humanities is a general program. On the application I think you say what program you want, but it's only for them to gauge how much interest there is in each program, or something like that. You dont actually apply to the program until the end of first year.
Old 01-30-2011 at 01:02 PM   #109
alissa.mac

ok, thanks
ouac isnt letting me sign in till one business day, because i accidentally applied for 2 more university programs last night, which want me to send in a portfolio due feb 1st, and since i definitely wont be able to get it in i need to find 2 more programs to apply too, thanks for the help
Old 01-30-2011 at 04:18 PM   #110
Commander
P.I.M.P

Liked: 63 Times

No offense, but I would like to know what kind of job you can get with a Degree in Humanities ? Just wondering...
Old 01-30-2011 at 04:32 PM   #111
alh24
Elite Member

Liked: 243 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander View Post
No offense, but I would like to know what kind of job you can get with a Degree in Humanities ? Just wondering...
A lot of my friends in Humanities are looking into jobs in public relations, media, advertising, or going to law school. Apparently a big chunk of law students at Ottawa University come from History programs because of their critical thinking and analytical skills.

My friend is in a multimedia program at York and has had internships at MTV and CTV, and he's only in his second year... That'd be so cool.
Old 01-30-2011 at 04:35 PM   #112
Rakim
Account Locked

Liked: 814 Times

lol @ law school from humanities
Old 01-30-2011 at 04:36 PM   #113
alh24
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakim View Post
lol @ law school from humanities
Typically people enter that from a BA program, and Humanities degrees lead to BAs. It's not just BA Political Science or BA Law (at other schools) students.

... So I don't understand your comment.

Last edited by alh24 : 01-30-2011 at 04:41 PM.
Old 01-30-2011 at 04:58 PM   #114
Rakim
Account Locked

Liked: 814 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by alh24 View Post
Typically people enter that from a BA program, and Humanities degrees lead to BAs. It's not just BA Political Science or BA Law (at other schools) students.

... So I don't understand your comment.
LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL
Old 01-30-2011 at 05:00 PM   #115
crazyfree
Elite Member

Liked: 284 Times

I had no idea we had a legit film program. That's so cool.

justinsftw likes this.
Old 03-14-2011
lmno098
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 04-20-2011 at 10:00 PM   #116
hong91

This is probably a stupid question, but where can I find the admission requirement for level 3 English? I honestly don't know anything about University and have somehow made it through second year without even knowing what kind of average I have to maintain to stay in my program or if that's not just me mishearing my friends and freaking out. Also I dont know if this is the right place to ask this, but it looked like it
Old 05-02-2011 at 10:16 PM   #117
luna

Liked: 10 Times

I just finished my first year in life sciences 1 and I did not enjoy the program at all!! But I really came to like humanities. I am thinking of switching into the faculty of humanities (if I can) and want to do study towards Combined Honours English and another subject (possibly philosophy if I can) degree. and may continue my education for phd. But I don't know what jobs are out there if I go into english, that is besides teaching. I know I can ask the faculty members, etc. but I want to get some student perspectives too. thanx
Old 05-02-2011 at 10:18 PM   #118
luna

Liked: 10 Times

also do people really go towards med schools from this faculty?
Old 05-02-2011 at 10:23 PM   #119
alh24
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by luna View Post
also do people really go towards med schools from this faculty?
You betcha'! One of my doctors did her undergraduate degree in English.