MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Faculty and Program Series Part One: The Faculty of Social Science lorend Faculty & Program Series 4 09-01-2009 09:09 AM
Faculty and Program Series Part Four: The Faculty of Humanities feonateresa Faculty & Program Series 14 08-29-2009 11:01 AM
Humanities Faculty Night lavalampsky First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 0 09-04-2008 10:25 AM
Humanities Faculty - Events and stuff!! Chad General Discussion 0 09-25-2006 11:11 AM

Faculty Of Humanities

Old 06-25-2008 at 03:40 PM   #61
[email protected]

Liked: 0 Times

and also which courses you might recommend for first year humanities thanks!!

Harriet says thanks to [email protected] for this post.
Old 06-25-2008 at 03:59 PM   #62
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

If you meet the prerequisites you can take any of them.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 06-25-2008 at 06:59 PM   #63
kokosas
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 23 Times

I've heard of it before but you have to meet the pre-req's. Sometimes you have to be registered in the faculty in order to take the course. One of my room mates is registered in 4th year Humanities but is doing an unofficial degree in 3rd year life sci along side it. It's complicated but sometimes can be done. If you plan to do a double major with Science and Humanities you may be out of luck because Science does not like to be combined with Humanities.

As for what classes to take as a first year Hummer, I suggest taking a variety, some english, some history, philosophy, peace studies, religious studies, media, whatever tickles your fancy! If you already have the intention of going into say, philosophy, make sure you have enough units to continue into that program but leave your options open by taking enough units of another area(s) that interests you as well.

Old 06-25-2008 at 08:22 PM   #64
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Indeed. There is a possiblility that you're not going to like what you originally thought you would!

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 06-25-2008 at 08:42 PM   #65
kokosas
MacInsiders Staff

Exactly, I loved Philosophy in high school but I wasn't too impressed with it here.

Old 06-26-2008 at 02:15 AM   #66
Omega_X13

Liked: 9 Times

Hey, I was wondering if anyone knows anything about ENGLISH 2L03 - Shakespeare - Selected Plays? I was reading the review for the 3K06 here, and saw that scene performances had to be done, so I was wondering whether this was also part of 2L03. Thanks.
Old 06-26-2008 at 06:12 AM   #67
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Nope, no scene performance.

And you can take 2L03 and then 3K06 if you want, but you're not allowed to do it the other way around.

Old 06-26-2008 at 12:51 PM   #68
batman

Liked: 6 Times

Has anybody taken History 2QQ3, Soviet Russia? I'm a science student and I decided that I wanted to take this course, and basically, I'm wondering, what's it like, and is it interesting? I studied Soviet Russia when I took IB History in high school, hence my original interest in it.
Old 06-27-2008 at 06:12 AM   #69
Katie J.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokosas View Post
Hey Katie,
English 1C06 is a good class if you're getting your feet wet with English. The requirements for an English Honours student make sure that you have to take at least 6 units from 4 areas of English: Early Brit Lit, Modern Brit Lit, Canadian/American Lit, and Cultural Studies Lit/Theory. See what I'm talking about here.
1C06 allows you to get a feel for many different areas of English. You start with Beowulf and 16th century literature and work your way up to modern literature. You do everything from full novels, poems and plays. Don't worry, Shakespeare is not included.. I'm sure you got enough of him in high school (although you can and most likely will have to take him again if you plan to major in English).

1AA3 and 1A03 (Long Genres and Short Genres) are also some good ways to get into the English field. Most students take one or both of these in their first year as Humanities. I personally enjoyed Longer Genres better but that was simply because the prof who taught Short Genres was pretty dry. If you enjoy literature I think you'll do fine in these classes.

As for Philosophy, it depends on what kind of philosophy you're looking for. If you like Mill, Descartes, Hobbes, Jung even Plato then I suggest you go with classes like Problems of Philosophy 1E03 (see the review here) or Philisophical Texts 1A03 (see review here). If you're more in to social, political, moral or ethical philosophy and things that deal with our society I suggest Philosophy, Law, and Society 1B03 (see review here). Now, I gave all those reviews, and I will be honest, I hated Philosophy, Law and Society 1B03 because the prof was a disaster. But I always enjoyed the content of the course and the readings. As I've been told on the review, the prof has changed from Dr. E. Gedge and is now a more pleasant experience!

As for the combined honours program, see the link here for the actual breakdown. Now my combined honours is with Classics and English, although Lorend (MacInsiders VP) has a combination of Social Sciences and English degree she may be able to get into detail with you. What I do know about the combined honours is that the units required of you obviously go up, but each degree leaves room for the other when you combine them. So if you look at the link it says 36 units for other subject being studied. It also says beside it that social sciences may require more than 36 units. All that means is that to do an honours in Social Sciences you may have to do more than 36 units. Never fear, many people do this all the time. Again, send Lorend a quick message via her profile here.
Also, you may contact the Social Sciences and/or Humanities Departments.

I really hopes this helps you, if you have any other questions you send me a private message or reply here!
Best of luck!
Thanks so much! You really helped!!
Old 06-27-2008 at 07:18 AM   #70
kokosas
MacInsiders Staff

Good, I'm glad!

Old 06-27-2008 at 07:18 AM   #71
kokosas
MacInsiders Staff

Good, I'm glad!

Old 06-27-2008 at 08:54 AM   #72
KaylaMarie

Liked: 3 Times

I'm trying to get together a time table for next year, but I keep running in to conflicts with the courses I want to and/or need to take... Is it okay to take the first year courses I will miss in second year, or is it better to stick to second year courses in second year, and so on?
Old 06-27-2008 at 01:51 PM   #73
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

You can take up to 48 units of first year courses in total (of which 30 units are automatically taken in first year), unless you're in Engineering.

Many upper year students will take first year courses in later years to boost their average.

Old 07-09-2008
KaylaMarie
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 07-22-2008 at 12:41 PM   #74
SEXY MAC

I'm going into second year and doing a double major in communications and cultural studies. I am a little scared of the workload though, i'm on program probation for cultural studied since i needed a 7 in the required courses and i ended up having a 6.5 at the end of second term between my CSCT and english courses..so the dean said that i have to maintain a 7 in 3 out of my 4 cultural studies courses. I heard second year communications is very difficult but i didnt find sevignys class too hard and actuall recieved a 10 in it.I'm just worried i'm being asked to be slaughtered in the name of academia. please help:(