MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Faculty and Program Series Part One: The Faculty of Social Science lorend Faculty & Program Series 4 09-01-2009 09:09 AM
Faculty and Program Series Part Four: The Faculty of Humanities feonateresa Faculty & Program Series 14 08-29-2009 11:01 AM
Humanities Faculty Night lavalampsky First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 0 09-04-2008 10:25 AM
Humanities Faculty - Events and stuff!! Chad General Discussion 0 09-25-2006 11:11 AM

Faculty Of Humanities

Old 07-23-2008 at 07:49 PM   #76
kokosas
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 23 Times

Well SexyMac, it depends on what courses you actually take, if you plan on being employed, how often you go to class and how you pace yourself work wise. Check out the review sections on Cultural Studies (or ask Lorend) and Communications. I don't know anyone personally in Communications but Lorend just got her degree in Cultural Studies and Critical Thinking this year so you could ask her about specific courses if the reviews either don't exist or aren't good enough.

Old 08-11-2008 at 09:43 AM   #77
Sneha

Liked: 0 Times

Linguist 2l03
I wanted to take LINGUIST 2L03, but its full on SOLAR. Does anyone know if this course is likely to open up more seats later on? Or should I just wait until someone drops it and I can add it? Is there anyone I should contact to see if I can get a seat?

Please let me know!
Old 08-11-2008 at 09:50 AM   #78
kokosas
MacInsiders Staff

If the course is a required one for your degree then you can contact the faculty of Humanities and they can make a seat for you.

If it is an elective you can keep trying now but you may not get in until the drop/add period in September. You will most likely get in during then as there is a lot of switching of courses going on.

Sneha says thanks to kokosas for this post.
Old 08-11-2008 at 10:01 AM   #79
Leraison

Try calling the department (here's a link to their contacts: http://www.humanities.mcmast er.ca/contacts/index.html ).

I wanted to take an elective in humanities but it was full so I called them and they told me to email the prof in charge. He emailed me back that same day and opened up a space for me in that course. I could have waited until later (they ended up opening another section later) but it was the only course I was looking forward to and.. my patience (or lack thereof) got the best of me =P

Hopefully, it'll work for you too!

Sneha says thanks to Leraison for this post.
Old 08-11-2008 at 05:25 PM   #80
Summer21

hi, im a first year nursing student and i am very interested in taking the social work 1A06 course that is in the evening..i was just wondering if anyone took this before and had any opinions since there is no review. Also i'm not sure if evening courses are popular with first year students cause i read that many adult students take night classes. Is this true?? since i need to take night courses inorder to avoid conflicts, i am a bit worried if people find it harder to concentrate at night?? is there a big difference?
Old 08-11-2008 at 07:21 PM   #81
kokosas
MacInsiders Staff

Hey Summer,
Social Work is actually a Social Sciences course.

I've never really noticed a high population of mature students (adults) in night classes although I can see why it would be more popular with them (after work and all). However, don't let the possibility of mature students deter you from taking a class. I don't see why it would be harder to concentrate unless you're really tired and then that's just something you need to work out on your own (change how you sleep or when you go to sleep) because classes end at 10pm.

The biggest difference with night classes is that you're getting your weekly dose of that class in one shot: which means you can be in class for 2-3 hours at one time. However, profs will give you a 5-10 minute break (sometimes 15 if they're feeling generous that night) in the middle of the class to go to the bathroom or get a snack, etc.

Summer21 says thanks to kokosas for this post.
Old 08-12-2008 at 11:22 AM   #82
sylviag

I'm looking to buy a MacBook for the multimedia program (well, I'm in Communications right now but wanna make it combined by the end of this year) and I saw something on the Apple Store site where you save up to $300 off Adobe Creative Suite 3.3 with the purchase of a Mac.. so I was wondering if I should get that together or if I don't actually need that whole Creative Suite package for the multimedia program.. would it be cheaper to just geting photoshop and stuff individually? Lol can anyone that's in that program let me know please?
Old 08-12-2008 at 12:20 PM   #83
kokosas
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by sylviag View Post
I'm looking to buy a MacBook for the multimedia program (well, I'm in Communications right now but wanna make it combined by the end of this year) and I saw something on the Apple Store site where you save up to $300 off Adobe Creative Suite 3.3 with the purchase of a Mac.. so I was wondering if I should get that together or if I don't actually need that whole Creative Suite package for the multimedia program.. would it be cheaper to just geting photoshop and stuff individually? Lol can anyone that's in that program let me know please?

Talk to Chad: He's in media and communications and he has a mac.

Old 08-14-2008 at 09:12 PM   #84
kairi9089

Liked: 1 Time

Hello!

I'm kinda new here in this forum, but it's great to see so many useful information for first year students, especially!

Chad, I read that you took Theatre and Film. I registered for Theatre and Film (1B03 and 1A03). I'm a first year student. How are the courses like by the way?

And I'm wondering, is it possible to branch into mass communications by taking CMST?

Thanks in advance! =)
Old 08-14-2008 at 09:45 PM   #85
kairi9089

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokosas View Post
If anyone has any questions about Honours English and/or Classical History feel free to shoot'em my way as those are my areas of focus!
In my first year I took the following:
ENGLISH 1C06
HISTORY 1AA3
HISTORY 1A03
HISTORY 1LL3
HISTORY 1L03
PHILOS 1A03
PHILOS 1B03
PHILOS 1E03
RELIG ST 1E03

So if you have any questions about those let me know!
Hello kokosas!

I'm taking HISTORY 1113 AND 1BB3 for my first year. Any advice about this course? And how's the course like? I had a great history teacher. He graduated from Mac! I'm wondering how are the professors like though.

Thanks for your help!
Old 08-21-2008 at 12:42 PM   #86
gillybean

hey,
i was curious about a few courses.
Term 1:
Thtr&Flm 1A03
English 1A03
English 1B03
English 1BB3
MMedia 1A03

Term 2:
Cmst 1A03
Thtr&Flm 1B03
Inquiry 1HU3
Philos 1B03
MMedia 1B03

for the english classes that I am taking in term 1, i wanted to take it as the Cultural Studies and Consumer Culture & Visual Culture.
Is it two different classes in one? or does it matter at all? cause for the materials needed I got so confused!!! If I dont need the English aspect of it, I would rather switch, but I just wanted to clarify that I am taking the right thing.

Hopefully you understood what I am asking...
Old 08-21-2008 at 01:21 PM   #87
kokosas
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by kairi9089 View Post
Hello kokosas!

I'm taking HISTORY 1113 AND 1BB3 for my first year. Any advice about this course? And how's the course like? I had a great history teacher. He graduated from Mac! I'm wondering how are the professors like though.

Thanks for your help!
Hey, I didn't take 1BB3 but 1LL3 was taught by Dr. Claude Eilers and he was a great prof. (1L03 was taught by Dr. Sean Corner, also awesome). He's also the undergraduate advisor for classics students so he's really great to talk to if you have any problems. He used powerpoint slides that he would put up at the end of the year (so not after every class but in time for the exam). He also sang to us in Latin... it was an Elvis song too, it was hillarious. Eilers is also a heavy textbook user so do the readings. His exam was easy pie for me though and there was an essay component to it. Oh, and you'll do a research essay as well.

Old 08-22-2008 at 05:10 AM   #88
kairi9089

Oh, I'm really sorry. I meant 1AA3 instead of 1113. I apologize for the typo. But nevertheless, thanks a lot for the information! =)
Old 08-22-2008 at 08:32 AM   #89
kokosas
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by kairi9089 View Post
Oh, I'm really sorry. I meant 1AA3 instead of 1113. I apologize for the typo. But nevertheless, thanks a lot for the information! =)
Oooooh.
1AA3, to my understanding is no longer taught by Dr. Thorpe, who was the prof that taught it for me. The class itself was very interesting. It's an in-depth look at European history from pretty much the conclusion of the Enlightenment period to the end of WW2. You spend a lot of time on each of the world wars and the turmoil in Russia with Stalin. Politics are looked at in depth, esp in correlation to events. You'll do two short essays of 500 words and one longer research essay that's about 1000 words, if my memory serves me right. Tutorials are mandatory and I suggest you go, they were always very helpful.

As for Dr. Thorpe, if you do have him... you may find him a little dry at times but he's a good prof, he knows his shit and he knows it well. He'll give you the straight forward facts but don't expect him to crack a joke. As for approachability, I don't know... I never had to ask him for help or anything.

Hope this helps you!

Old 08-29-2008 at 04:33 PM   #90
ria89

PHilo 2a06
Hey, i was wondering what do you do in Philosophy 2A06's tutorials... its like 20% of our mark and i wondering if u have to rite extra essays in tutorials too??