MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Faculty and Program Series Part One: The Faculty of Social Science lorend Faculty & Program Series 4 09-01-2009 09:09 AM
Faculty and Program Series Part Four: The Faculty of Humanities feonateresa Faculty & Program Series 14 08-29-2009 11:01 AM
Humanities Faculty Night lavalampsky First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 0 09-04-2008 10:25 AM
Humanities Faculty - Events and stuff!! Chad General Discussion 0 09-25-2006 11:11 AM

Faculty Of Humanities

Old 06-17-2008 at 08:26 AM   #46
kokosas
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 23 Times

Good job Chad

Old 06-17-2008 at 11:47 AM   #47
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

Well if you're thinking about English and Philosophy you'd end up in the Humanities.

Anyways, what you will be doing in year two, three and four is taking the mandatory requirements for both of the degree programs.

For year one however all you need to do is take the courses you would need for entrance in level two for your courses.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 06-18-2008 at 03:28 PM   #48
katie_batt

Liked: 9 Times

I'm thinking of taking MMedia 1B03: The Digital Image as an elective because I really love photography, I'm a pretty creative person, and I have always wanted to learn how to use photoshop. I'm just wondering how much prior knowledge you need to have in order to take this course. I have never used photoshop in my life, so I feel like I might be alittle bit in over my head in this course. But I really really want to learn how to use it. I also am completely computer illiterate when it comes to HTML and all that technical stuff. Do you think this is a good course for me or no? thanks!

OH! and also, do we need to have photoshop in order to take the course? (I dont!!)

Last edited by katie_batt : 06-18-2008 at 03:45 PM.
Old 06-18-2008 at 06:56 PM   #49
kokosas
MacInsiders Staff

Having photoshopp does help with this course but you can also use the computer labs.
Prior knowledge of the program does help but it isn't necessary. When I took it there were tutorials where the TA would walk you through everything.

See the reviews on this course here.

Old 06-18-2008 at 08:20 PM   #50
Sync

Liked: 2 Times

Anyone ever took POL SCI 1G06? How would you rate the workload for POL SCI 1G06 (easy, moderate, hard)? Any other comments about this course?
Old 06-18-2008 at 09:04 PM   #51
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

Poli Sci is Soc Sci.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 06-19-2008 at 02:57 PM   #52
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,731 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by katie_batt View Post
I'm thinking of taking MMedia 1B03: The Digital Image as an elective because I really love photography, I'm a pretty creative person, and I have always wanted to learn how to use photoshop. I'm just wondering how much prior knowledge you need to have in order to take this course. I have never used photoshop in my life, so I feel like I might be alittle bit in over my head in this course. But I really really want to learn how to use it. I also am completely computer illiterate when it comes to HTML and all that technical stuff. Do you think this is a good course for me or no? thanks!

OH! and also, do we need to have photoshop in order to take the course? (I dont!!)
As Kokosas said, you don't need Photoshop because the labs you have access to have it installed on them. However, if you want to work on your projects from home, you'd need to get a copy.

As for needing to know photoshop, the course introduces you to it so you do not need prior knowledge. You will be guided how to use all of the tools from scratch, and then have a chance to utilize what you learned and apply it to your own material. The professor always recommends taking your own photography and not using stock images, so you would have a chance to use your own camera and take photos yourself to manipulate.

I'd highly recommend it, as I think you would enjoy the course Katie
Old 06-19-2008 at 09:51 PM   #53
carrka

Liked: 14 Times

Hey I took Poli Sci 1G06.... I thought it was a great class.

For the first term there was a short essay on "On Liberty" - John Stuart Mill and a long essay (8-10) pages on a topic given in class and there was also a final exam
For the second term there was one long essay (12 pages) from a choice of topics given in class and also a final exam.

However there were 2 different Poli Sci classes. I had Dr. Alway.
Old 06-20-2008 at 02:12 AM   #54
kokosas
MacInsiders Staff

Carrka maybe you should do a review on this course when you've got some spare time on your hands?

Old 06-21-2008 at 07:51 PM   #55
jag6232

Liked: 0 Times

Chad, you mentioned you took Theatre & Film Studies and Peace and Conflict Studies. Which classes did you take, and what were they like? I want to take both but am feeling like there's a shortage of information on them.
Old 06-22-2008 at 04:51 PM   #56
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,731 Times

I took both first year thtr&film courses. If you could only pick one I'd recommend B03 over A03 because it is a bit more fun (you get to watch old films as well as experimental film).

Peace Studies I took 1B03. Was an interesting course, I have a review of it somewhere on here... either in the forums or in the reviews section.
Old 06-24-2008 at 12:36 AM   #57
Pokecheck

I was wondering if anybody could give me their opinion on professor Haley. I want to take one of the courses he's teaching, Classics 2LD3, History of Ancient Rome, but I've heard some things that make me not want to take it. Anybody have him as a teacher in the past that could tell me what he's like?
Old 06-24-2008 at 08:04 AM   #58
kokosas
MacInsiders Staff

Hey Pokecheck,
I have had Haley as a teacher several times and since the registrar's office is so kind in not having many 3rd year courses available for Classics majors like myself I too am taking 2LD3. In that respect I would encourage you to take 2LC3 as well. It is not required, but it would help you with your understanding of course material for 2LD3.

As for Haley himself, he's a mixed reaction. If you come to class late, disrespect him by talking in class or being a general pain in the rear he will be a jerk to you, no questions asked. He'll still help you if he has to but he certainly won't smile about it. He does not tolerate people being rude in his class, if you're talking or not paying attention he won't repeat material for your benefit.

As for his teaching methods, he's a VERY smart man and has some quirks. Sometimes he'll think outloud and end up muttering to himself, other times he'll get off topic and tell you about how he was raised on a farm and has trouble with his joints as a result. There are times when he's a bit hard to hear so I'd suggest sitting up close, but his classes are usually small so there's not a problem of ending up at the back of a big lecture hall and not being able to hear him.

He has some funny and somewhat endearing aspects to him. He's got two main jokes: when a cell phone goes off he'll say "Tell my broker to sell!" and when someones laptop does the Window's start up music he'll say "Thank you for that wonderful musical interlude". Those are his jokes and the fact that he always says them makes the class laugh more than the joke itself.

So basically, I would suggest any course that Haley teaches simply because if you're not a jerk, he's not a jerk. You listen, he'll teach you all you need to know and more. He's a fair marker and he makes sure you always know what to expect on your tests/finals. Along with Dr. Sean Corner and Dr. Eilers, he is one of my fav Classics profs.

Old 06-24-2008 at 11:59 AM   #59
Pokecheck

Thanks for the response. And yes, I do plan on taking 2LC3 along with 2LD3, simply forgot to mention that.
Old 06-25-2008 at 03:23 PM   #60
[email protected]

I was wondering if anyone could tell me if its possible to take science courses in first year if you are in the humanities program and if so which ones