MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Review Review Starter Category Comments Last Post
English help De La Soul First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 7 10-09-2010 02:39 PM
English? Mfm12 Academics 2 06-26-2010 03:48 PM
English 2C03 marygold Academics 1 06-18-2010 12:28 AM
English 3V06 kokosas 3rd Year Course Reviews 0 04-10-2009 06:14 PM
English 3W03 kokosas 3rd Year Course Reviews 1 12-11-2008 11:41 AM

English 1C06

English 1C06
A History of English Literature
Published by kokosas
06-13-2008
Published by
MacInsiders Staff

Author review
Overall Rating
80%80%80%
Professor Rating
70%70%70%
Interest
70%70%70%
Easiness
70%70%70%
Average 73%
English 1C06

This course is not meant for those who do not like to read or write.
The reading list is fairly heavy for a first year course and a lot of the works are British Literature.
I personally did not find this course hard but I know many who did and did not do that well in it. The professor was okay, her name is Dr. J. Merritt. She was not very interesting but she did make jokes here and there. Over all, it cannot be said that she doesn't know her stuff because she certainly does. She's a no nonsense kind of prof and will call you out if you're talking or fooling around in her class.

The material covered is very expansive and goes through several centuries. Some background knowledge of European history from roughly the 16th century onwards is helpful but not necessary as the prof will tell you a bit of background info every time you come into a new era (ie: Elizabethan Lit or the Romantics).

In summary: Good course for English majors, it will give you a wide variety of types of English Lit and give you an idea of what areas you will enjoy the most.

Find the old Syllabus here

Course Breakdown:
One 500 word paper- 5%
Three 1000 word essay- 30% (10% each)
Tutorial Participation- 10%
Tutorial Assignment- 5%
Midterm- 15%
Final- 35%

lgraham says thanks to kokosas for this post.
Deleted Post
Edit/Delete Message
Click here to add your own review for English 1C06!

Old 03-11-2010 at 08:58 PM   #2
katdawg14
Program: French
Year: Third
Residence: SOCS

Liked: 0 Times
This course was definitely heaviest on reading material out of all my courses for first year, but the readings were way more enjoyable than reading an informational textbook for hours
The two profs I had were Anne Savage and Duncan Lucas. Anne was nice, but I found the classes to be boring. Duncan is one my my favourite teachers so far. He is incredibly nice and funny, and not intimidating or hard at all.
There were two 1000 word essays each semester. Duncan gave you a list of topics you could choose from for each essay but Anne only gace you one option. The profs and TAs were very helpful with formulating your essay and helping you with problems.
The essay for first semester was 5 long answer questions, but Anne gave us the questions before hand which helped A LOT. I havn't had the second semester exam yet, but I assume it will be the same.
It was an interesting class and even though there were 4 essays, they are only 1000 words and relatively esay to write!
  Reply With Quote Deleted Post Deleted Post
Old 06-09-2010 at 07:57 PM   #3
Fa11enAnge1
Program: Health Sciences
Year: Fourth
Residence: SOCS!

Liked: 3 Times
Can you get a 12 in it if you put in effort? I mean im scared of english courses because it all depends on if u get the TA -- meaning that you have to conform to their writing style in the short amount of time you have -.-"
Old 06-09-2010 at 09:22 PM   #4
sinthusized
Elite Member
Program: Anthropology
Year: Other

Liked: 98 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fa11enAnge1 View Post
Can you get a 12 in it if you put in effort? I mean im scared of english courses because it all depends on if u get the TA -- meaning that you have to conform to their writing style in the short amount of time you have -.-"
why don't you take an english course where the prof does the marking then? I prefer when a prof marks my written work.. they tend to mark higher than when a student-ta does and i guess i usually trust that professors are more open to different writing styles

Old 06-09-2010 at 09:25 PM   #5
Fa11enAnge1
Program: Health Sciences
Year: Fourth
Residence: SOCS!

Liked: 3 Times
hmmm a good idea....but the only english i can take are 1A03, 1AA3 or 1C06 T_T ... so i dont think i can use that option
Old 06-14-2011 at 02:55 PM   #6
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff
Program: Biology and Pharmacology
Year: Fifth
Residence: Keyes

Liked: 624 Times
I looked at the course outline and it seems like a lot. Has the course changed recently? I'm looking for a first-year English course, but I haven't heard too much about 1C06. :/
Old 06-14-2011 at 02:55 PM   #7
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff
Program: Biology and Pharmacology
Year: Fifth
Residence: Keyes

Liked: 624 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fa11enAnge1 View Post
hmmm a good idea....but the only english i can take are 1A03, 1AA3 or 1C06 T_T ... so i dont think i can use that option
There's also 1CS3 which I heard is pretty interesting
Old 07-21-2011 at 03:21 PM   #8
robots
Faculty: Humanities
Year: Second

Liked: 40 Times
I took this course and despite being in humanities and majoring in english i found it quite difficult. the readings were from ancient time periods with Shakespearean and older english so deciphering some of the readings were a task in itself. My TA was a harsh marker, when the prof had marked my assignments they would raise two whole letter grades. Some of the texts were okay, some were unbearable, overall I wouldn't recommend this course unless you enjoy ancient literature and have a good grasp of essay writing.
Old 01-22-2013 at 08:15 PM   #9
sueahmed
Year: Second

Liked: 0 Times
Take this course if you truly like to read, this course is heavy on the reading materials. Content can be interesting, however it can also be particularly dry at times.

Review Tools Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search