MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Faculty Of Social Sciences (includes Poli Sci, Psych, Anthro, etc) Chad Academics 91 01-06-2012 06:26 PM
How many students in the faculty of science? Lois General Discussion 23 09-01-2009 01:36 PM
Faculty and Program Series Part One: The Faculty of Social Science lorend Faculty & Program Series 4 09-01-2009 09:09 AM
Faculty and Program Series Part Three: The Faculty of Science Chad Faculty & Program Series 13 08-20-2009 11:53 PM

Faculty Of Science (includes Chem, Kin, Bio, etc)

Old 08-04-2007 at 07:50 PM   #16
Amara

Liked: 0 Times

hows anthro,
or health studies,
or peace studies
or
environmental studies?
Old 08-04-2007 at 11:14 PM   #17
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

anthro 1a03 is the easiest of the three, but you have at least one essay.

the rest of the courses you mentioned will all (or so i believe) have essays as well as they are all soc sci courses.
Old 08-05-2007 at 07:40 AM   #18
Amara

thankyou!!!!
Old 08-05-2007 at 08:22 AM   #19
Amara

hey for the drop in tutorial for chemistry, r u suposed to go everyday , or is going once a week enough?
how iimportant is it?
Old 08-05-2007 at 11:12 AM   #20
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

you tutorial should only be once a week...so going once a week should be enough!
Old 08-11-2007 at 07:45 PM   #21
dacrown4life
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 1 Time

Math 1D03.. how can i do well? :)
ok so im takin math 1D03 because its a prerequisite for two second year stats that i want to take in the summer ....(Stats 2D03 and Stats 2MB3).. because i need 2Mb3 for one or two 3rd year psych experimental courses i might take next year..

i was just wondering about what i should do to be successfull in this class.. as ive never taken ALgebra or geo in highschool... also, the level of difficulties in this class...?
are there any tricks in some test?
how should i study for it.. ( use lecture notes, textbooks, old tests?)
how is the exam like?

also, i have safnuk for a prof.. wat is he or she like? and does he explain stuff well?/

p.s. is taking these two stats even worth anything at all?

lol.. too many questions.. but i would really appreciate any suggestions..
thanks
Old 08-11-2007 at 08:07 PM   #22
fati

I wanna try to pick a major this year. I am trying to keep my courses this year open to possible majors. I'm interested in life sci, bio,.... But wat i really found interesting was the Honors in Bio and psych program. Know anything bout it??????

My classes and Profs, Ne advice?

Bio 1A03- havent specified prof yet! but still survival tips are appreciated!
RAINBOW, A
KAJIURA, LJ
WILSON, J
JACOBS, JR

Chem 1A03
LOCK, P

Math 1A03-nO IDEA ON PROF

Psych 1A03
KIM, J

Social Work 1A06
PRESTON, SL

thanx!!! appreciate it
Old 08-12-2007 at 12:14 AM   #23
dacrown4life
Account Disabled by User

tips on Econs 1b03 and 1bb3... what to do to Ace them?
Hey Guys. so i decided to explore other programs.. and so i took econs...
thus. i would like some pointers and tips on how to ace these electives
so here are my questions......

the level of difficulties in these classes...?
are there any tricks in some test? what to expect from lectures and tests
how is the exam like and midterms like?

what are the preferences of the profs.. i.e how do they word questions on midterms and exams...? and how well do they explain stuff

any other suggestions?
i heard econs 1BB3 is very hard.... if so wat did u do to survive the class with a good mark

lol.. too many questions.. but i would really appreciate any suggestions..
thanks in advance..
Old 08-12-2007 at 12:23 AM   #24
dacrown4life
Account Disabled by User

Tips for Psych classes... 2H03, 2F03, 2TT3?
would like to know how these three psych classes are like and how i can get at least a 8 in the course...
also, the level of difficulties in these classes...?
are there any tricks in some test? what to expect from lectures and tests

how is the exam like and midterms like? what are the preferences of the profs.. i.e how do they word questions on midterms and exams...? and how well do they explain stuff

i heard psych 2H03 is very hard.... if so wat did u do to survive the class with a good mark

lol.. too many questions.. but i would really appreciate any suggestions, Tips and Hints.
thanks in advance..
Old 08-14-2007 at 07:06 PM   #25
Trudyful

2h03 2f03
Well, 2F03 to me was really interesting. You learn a lot about the brain and illnesses caused by damage to certain areas of the brain. I'm not sure who the prof is, but I had Ullal, and honestly he's amazing. He really knows his stuff and his lectures are interesting. The class I was in was huge, and there were no assigned T.A's however, there were TAs for the course. I always went to them for help and they were really helpful. Ullal was also really good at answering questions. In regards to the tests- they were straight from his lecture slides however, it is important that you make your own personal notes. For me, I had a lot of notes from his class because although he posted his slides, he gave a lot of additional information not mentioned on the slides. In the end I ended up with a 8 but I could have done better and I will explain why that was....

2H03 <- this is why I ended up with a 8 instead of something higher in 2F03. Honestly, I had Shore and from what I see, he's not teaching this year so that's a good thing. He was HARD in my opinion. His test demanded soo much and required a lot of studying and a lot of cramming. I did however end up with a 10 but I mean that was a lot of work. The course material is also interesting. I can't really give insight because I don't think the guy I had is teaching..

2TT3 well I'm taking that class this year, so hopefully we both enjoy the course
Old 08-14-2007 at 11:08 PM   #26
paul
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 2 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by fati View Post
I wanna try to pick a major this year. I am trying to keep my courses this year open to possible majors. I'm interested in life sci, bio,.... But wat i really found interesting was the Honors in Bio and psych program. Know anything bout it??????
I knew a TA who took it and she said she enjoyed it, but it's a very new program. The only problem she found is that life sci and psych do not cooperate very well to support this joint program. Usually students have to decide to have a bio or psych focused thesis. Nonetheless, she enjoyed it and did a psych-focused 4th year thesis.
I hate the bio depatment so I my opinion about their program is quite swayed. Have you looked at biochemistry? I'm in the program and I love it.

Quote:
Bio 1A03- havent specified prof yet! but still survival tips are appreciated!
RAINBOW, A
KAJIURA, LJ
WILSON, J
JACOBS, JR
All new profs except Kajiura. Not sure about the other profs, but for Kajiura's tests make sure you memorize all the lists she gives you in the course outline. Those are 10-mark questions on her tests.

Quote:
Chem 1A03
LOCK, P
She is a nice prof. Though she has an interesting way of teaching that 80% of the people really enjoy. I was one of the 20% who didn't think it was effective because it involved students answering other student's questions. When someone asks a question, I would really like the prof to answer it because other students distort the idea. Plus, there are usually two or three really snotty kids who try to act smart and answer all the questions. I thought she was the best because the other profs were absolutely horrible. (There is another german guy: Dr. Stover, he is also very good, but I don't think he teaches first year anymore.) As far as the tests go, if you study hard and do all the online sample tests, you'll be just fine.

Quote:
Math 1A03-nO IDEA ON PROF
Most math profs are good, so don't worry. I found the tests covered the same material as gr12 calc.

Quote:
Psych 1A03
KIM, J
I may be wrong, but it doesn't look like your class will consist of video lectures. If you spend the time to go through the online tests, you'll get 100% on the tests. Dr. Day, who was the main prof for first year psych for over 20 years, mentioned that the online test practice program sometimes gets glitchy and makes mistakes marking. I think it's part of his psych experiment because from a software developer's point of view (me), that's a very dumb programming error. Keep in mind, Dr. Day has a PhD in multiple choice.

Wish you the best,
Paul

Last edited by paul : 08-14-2007 at 11:12 PM.
Old 08-15-2007 at 09:57 AM   #27
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Indeed.

I talked to Dr. Day last week and a new prof is taking over the class; which means it will be a new format as well from what I understand.

UGH Day's multiple choice...*seethes*
Old 08-15-2007 at 01:11 PM   #28
nuttynatz

Chem 1AO3 - BRITZ MCKIBBIN, P
Physics 1BO3 - HUGHES, K

Stats 1CC3 - CANTY, A

What about these 3 profs?

Last edited by nuttynatz : 08-15-2007 at 01:13 PM.
Old 08-16-2007 at 10:35 AM   #29
nuttynatz

anybody know the total number of units in the science program to get your B. Sc degree?
Old 08-19-2007 at 02:38 PM   #30
paul
MacInsiders Staff

It depends, usually 30 units per year.
Try this: http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /CALEN...07/sec_448.htm
I think the last two are applicable to you.

Paul