MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Faculty Of Science (includes Chem, Kin, Bio, etc) Chad Academics 177 09-12-2011 06:43 PM
Faculty and Program Series Part Six: The Faculty of Health Sciences saukalra Faculty & Program Series 6 09-07-2009 10:56 PM
Faculty and Program Series Part One: The Faculty of Social Science lorend Faculty & Program Series 4 09-01-2009 09:09 AM

Faculty Of Social Sciences (includes Poli Sci, Psych, Anthro, etc)

Old 05-05-2008 at 07:52 PM   #31
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

Honours = a four year program.
BSW = four year program.

The BA part of the combined degree in BSW is an Honours, it just is not noted as such, because the Honours is implied in the degree.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 05-05-2008 at 08:03 PM   #32
leah tova

Liked: 0 Times

i really hope you don't think we are interogating you, but i am just so confused ! (thank you for your help by the way)
the last program listed under prospective students (psychology) is the BA/BSW, so i know i can take psych as the BA portion to the BA/BSW.

but what i don't understand is that for psychology a BA and Honours BA have different prerequisites so why would they be advertising it wrong on the site? it gives the impression that its a BA, not a BA honours, which is what I have been reading through the school of social work and psychology
Old 05-05-2008 at 08:20 PM   #33
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Unfortunately, because each degree has different prerequisites, no program is going to put the prerequistes to the programs other than their own. To list all of the combinations would be completely impractical.

I am quite confident that in order to complete a BA/BSW you need to be in an honours program for the BA. You could do a BA (3 year program) in psych and then the BSW or vice versa, but I don't think you can combine them.

Unfortunately, I'm not in either program, nor am I an academic counsellor. I'm going by my knowlege of how the programs work. If you are still confused your best bet is to talk to a professional at May @ Mac, or the Easy Summer Orientation Program, or Welcome Day, or to send an email to the guidance counsellors in Social Science. They can give you much better answers than I can.

However, I'd like to add I know a few people who have graduated from BA/BSW programs, and they were in a four year, program, where the BA was an Honours.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 05-05-2008 at 08:21 PM   #34
leah tova

Liked: 0 Times

okay, thanks for all your help !
Old 05-05-2008 at 08:30 PM   #35
**jewel 03**

Liked: Liked 2 Times

ok thanks alot and srry to bug you again but just wondering about my courses if they seem ok and would be on my way to fulifilling the requirements for the BA/BSW
Old 05-05-2008 at 08:50 PM   #36
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

From what I can see, yes. But remember...I'm not a professional. I would check with an Academic Advisor during the Easy Summer Orientation Days, or contact someone from psych and/or the soc sci guidance councellors.

Old 05-05-2008 at 08:53 PM   #37
**jewel 03**

ok thanks and just out of curiosity when is Easy Summer Orientation Days? and will it be too late by then to make changes to your courses/timetable?
Old 05-05-2008 at 09:37 PM   #38
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

They start June 25 and go to July 10.

And no, you can change your schedule from the day SOLAR (the online thing used to pick courses) opens for seven days, then are not allowed for a little bit, then can go back on to change courses until sometime in early september

Old 05-06-2008 at 09:30 AM   #39
**jewel 03**

oh ok thats good and is the summer orientationn thing go straight from June 25-July 10 or is it a choice b/w 3-4 days within that time period how does it work?
Old 05-06-2008 at 09:53 AM   #40
Sarah13

Liked: 11 Times

Each faculty has its own orientation day. From what I remember, Science had quite a few days to come, but I would assume that a smaller faculty would have fewer. You should get an email with possible dates though.
Old 05-06-2008 at 11:35 AM   #41
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

The schedule will be up on the FYEO (First Year Experience Office)'s website friday when it re-launches.

And I'll have information at May @ MAC on Saturday

Old 05-07-2008 at 07:00 PM   #42
**jewel 03**

oh ok thnx i'll just wait till then to get more info then
Old 06-19-2008 at 10:11 PM   #43
carrka

Liked: 14 Times

Hey....

Has anyone taken Religious Studies 2YY3. What is the class like (work load, lectures) and i know attendance is counted for tutorials as a participation mark...but is the film viewing also participation marks or can we watch them on our own time before tutorial?
Old 06-20-2008 at 06:21 PM   #44
katie_batt

Liked: 9 Times

I need to take either social work 1A06 or Sociology 1A06 next year. I was wondering if anyone who has taken either of these courses could tell me what they thought of them and if they would recommend them (I need to decide which one to take and I have no idea!) thanks!
Old 06-20-2008 at 07:09 PM   #45
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

I have taken neither.

However, if you are interested in helping others, I would suggest Social Work 1A06 so you can possibly apply to the B.S.W. program at the end of your first year.