MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Failed 1st year class.. lucyg Academics 4 05-23-2014 11:47 PM
will a failed class show on degree audit? cassandra82 Academics 2 12-23-2013 10:44 PM
possibly failed a class, what do I do? jackiemac Academics 7 12-24-2010 04:13 PM
Summer School/Failed Class Ruggedman Academics 6 04-15-2010 12:28 AM

Failed class

Old 04-08-2014 at 12:08 PM   #1
migilacuty

Liked: 0 Times

Failed class
Hello,

so I am just about to finish commerce level 2 and i feel as though I am going to fail my finance class. What are my options if I do fail? can i take it in addition to my 5 courses first semester of next year? Please help! never failed a class before :(

Thanks!
Old 04-08-2014 at 12:33 PM   #2
JayJackson69
Account Locked

Liked: 9 Times

That would depend on whether or not it is offered in first term. Also, is it a prerequisite to courses you plan on taking next year? Best bet would be to speak to an academic advisor.
Old 04-08-2014 at 12:58 PM   #3
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

Is it a required course for future courses? If so take it in summer, it is offered
Old 04-08-2014 at 01:46 PM   #4
Brendan

Liked: 13 Times

You should definitely take it in the summer. If you take it next year, you'll still be in Level II and will not be able to register in third-year Commerce electives (you'll only be able to register in required courses). You also will not be able to register in COMMERCE 3IN0 and as a result, will not be able to be in the Internship program.

COMMERCE 3FA3 is a required third-year course for which the prerequisite is COMMERCE 2FA3. This year, COMMERCE 2FA3 and COMMERCE 3FA3 were only offered in the Winter term, so you will likely not be able complete both courses in your third year. This will make registering for your fourth-year classes a lot harder.

More information is here: http://ug.degroote.mcmaster. ca/reg...s-for-level-3/

I don't know how much this will help, but when studying for the exam, don't spend too much time on the textbook questions/additional problems in the coursepack as many of the questions are either ridicuously easy/hard or have incorrect solutions. Focus more on the the past midterms and final exams that are on Avenue. I've noticed that many of the questions have been either reused or slightly modified on the midterms.

kwanuing likes this.
Old 04-10-2014 at 01:25 PM   #5
kwanuing

it depends on what your concentration is. if you are going to finance, you better take 2fa3 in summer so you can take other finance electives in Fall. or you will have nothing to take in the coming year cause you cannot take any finance electives.... If you are going to accounting, you can just take 2fa3 in next winter and then take 3fa3 next summer/winter
Old 04-10-2014 at 07:04 PM   #6
Alert Moderator & Admin
Add negative rating-5Add positive rank
The MI community has ranked down this post by JonC89.
Click here to view it anyways.
Old 04-10-2014 at 08:05 PM   #7
jamescw1234
The Awkward One

Liked: 467 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonC89 View Post
Go to humanities, it is much easier.
Not cool bro.

James CW
McMaster University-Bachelor's of Social Work and Bachelor's of Arts in Sociology (2012)
York University-Masters of Social Work (2014-2015)
Old 04-12-2014 at 12:23 AM   #8
Mo-Fatt

The rule of McMaster Commerce: if it's mandatory, and you fail it, you are removed from the program.

Two of my friends failed out after second year; one failed accounting, the other failed finance
Old 04-12-2014 at 10:08 AM   #9
murphyh

Liked: 6 Times

I'd really go talk to the APO, as a lot of the information people are giving you is misleading and/or contradictory.
I found that you only need 24 units completed of mandatory courses (http://ug.degroote.mcmaster. ca/reg...-requirements/) so you'd be fine to go in to Level III, honours if you have the average.
3FA3 is a Fall class which requires 2FA3, a winter class as the prerequisite. So if you can, I'd take 2FA3 in the Summer semester of summer school.
Like someone else said though, focus on past midterms, I found that was really helpful!
Old 04-13-2014 at 10:58 AM   #10
nomchock

Liked: 31 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo-Fatt View Post
The rule of McMaster Commerce: if it's mandatory, and you fail it, you are removed from the program.

Two of my friends failed out after second year; one failed accounting, the other failed finance
yea i failed two mandatory classes in second year and just had to repeat them, graduating on time etc

the only time you fail out is in 1st year and you fail a class or have a sub 5 avg

or if your average dips below the minimum and you can't complete academic probation