MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Retake chem 1aa3 doomed4dumb Academics 5 06-10-2012 04:21 PM
Can you retake engineering one? 2drumit First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 13 06-06-2012 01:08 PM
Failed a course. Retake? XannabelleX First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 01-13-2011 09:40 PM
Your mark after you retake a class? monique Academics 10 11-13-2009 08:40 PM

failing a course...and retake in summer?

Old 11-07-2012 at 11:07 PM   #1
Esha.B

Liked: 0 Times

failing a course...and retake in summer?
I received an email saying I am "almost at the risk" of failing a course and the last day to drop is this friday. Would it be a better option to drop the course and re-take it in summer?
At least it wont show-up as a fail on the transcript right?

-Help!
Old 11-07-2012 at 11:10 PM   #2
Snowman
Elite Member

Liked: 180 Times

http://www.macinsiders.com/showthrea...8.html?t=70538
Old 11-07-2012 at 11:14 PM   #3
Esha.B

But say i drop it and re-take it in summer..does it count towards my 30-credit for the year b/c obviously once i drop it will reduce
Old 11-07-2012 at 11:20 PM   #4
Snowman
Elite Member

Liked: 180 Times

It depends what program you are in. If you have a competitive first to second year transition like eng, then it would affect it. Otherwise you typically just have to complete the course in additional to your regular workload by the end of your degree.

Like your degree requires X credits, if you want to do a bunch during the summer so you take less during the regular school year you can.
Old 11-07-2012 at 11:21 PM   #5
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

If you read in that thread I posted. If you fail and take the summer it will just bring your overall GPA down. If you drop the course, the 2nd year course requirement will go up. Yes it does count to your 30 but not for 2nd year marks. If you fail and take it again, it takes the average (basically in the formula the denominator for number of units taken goes higher).

TL;DR just take it in summer

Esha.B says thanks to Leeoku for this post.
Old 11-07-2012 at 11:25 PM   #6
Bhaltair
Elite Member

Liked: 158 Times

I think it depends on which program you're in. Your best bet is to talk with an academic advisor. If you're on the verge of failing and you feel you cannot redeem yourself before the final exam, the best option is to drop it and take it over the summer.

Esha.B says thanks to Bhaltair for this post.
Old 11-07-2012 at 11:38 PM   #7
Esha.B

Make sense, Thanks guys!
Old 11-08-2012 at 07:37 AM   #8
MacPack
Offical Deal Blogger
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 160 Times

What course is it and what program are you in / want to get into next year ? Kinda helps to know . I know some life sci streams for example require you to have a certain course for 2nd year . I don't know if they will take summer courses into consideration in time .
Old 11-08-2012 at 11:33 AM   #9
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacPack View Post
What course is it and what program are you in / want to get into next year ? Kinda helps to know . I know some life sci streams for example require you to have a certain course for 2nd year . I don't know if they will take summer courses into consideration in time .
In this case they typically offer "conditional acceptance", where your acceptance into whatever 2nd year program is conditional upon you completing the required course(s) during the summer. Sometimes they also have a minimum grade attached to the conditions.