MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Failing help jigga_man Academics 2 12-07-2011 06:15 PM
Failing out first semester Zimonada First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 12-07-2010 09:41 PM
failing a class Jackxer0 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 11-21-2010 11:32 AM
What is a failing mark? Cassandraa87 Academics 4 01-10-2010 12:04 AM
Failing Midterms resh.jyoti Academics 23 11-16-2009 02:28 PM

Failing First Year

Members have rated post #295299 as the best response. Skip right to it!
Old 12-19-2011 at 01:27 PM   #31
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salemsalma View Post
I'm kind of in the same position as you.....except i've been working my ass off all year and haven't gotten the grades that I've wanted whatsoever except in my elective course which won't really do too much for me in the future. I am afraid of failing two of my courses, one of which was my fault because I did my scantron wrong for one of my midterms but for my other course, I can confidently say that my TA screwed me over. I handed in 3 things for a regrade but I'm not sure where to go from here. I''ve had a lot of personal problems in the last few months and yes, they've greatly affected my motivation and ability to study and work but I still do it, but I am still not getting the grades.
I never thought I'd say this, but i'm actually scared of failing out of mac.
I can't be too sure how I did on my other courses until our marks come out but at the same time, i'm not completely confident.
Anyone have any suggestions on studying/working in different ways for next semester?......If i'm allowed in lol :(
So scared, worried, and terrified.....:thumbs down:
If you do the scantron wrong, they will usually mark it by hand for you--I know this happens in both 1st year chem and bio, I'm not sure about other courses but they're usually good about that. Did you talk to someone about it?
Also, if you handed in 3 things for regrade and didn't get a better mark, it probably wasn't the TA's fault, and blaming someone else won't help you at all. If you do end up with a better mark, then it won't end up adversely affecting you in the end and you're fine.
Working your ass off isn't the same as being productive and working/learning effectively.

As I wrote previously, you won't get kicked out after first term, you have until April to pull your marks up, so right now just focus on doing well on your remaining exams (if you have any) and learning from what went wrong this term so you can do better next term.

If you're having personal problems, CSD (or whatever it's called now?) can really help you out--it might be good to go talk to them.

Silver likes this.
Old 12-19-2011 at 01:32 PM   #32
Science1234

Liked: 0 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerual View Post
If you do the scantron wrong, they will usually mark it by hand for you--I know this happens in both 1st year chem and bio, I'm not sure about other courses but they're usually good about that. Did you talk to someone about it?
Also, if you handed in 3 things for regrade and didn't get a better mark, it probably wasn't the TA's fault, and blaming someone else won't help you at all. If you do end up with a better mark, then it won't end up adversely affecting you in the end and you're fine.
Working your ass off isn't the same as being productive and working/learning effectively.

As I wrote previously, you won't get kicked out after first term, you have until April to pull your marks up, so right now just focus on doing well on your remaining exams (if you have any) and learning from what went wrong this term so you can do better next term.

If you're having personal problems, CSD (or whatever it's called now?) can really help you out--it might be good to go talk to them.
Thanks! I haven't gotten any grades back but I'm supposed to go see my regrades this week. Thanks again for the suggestions
Old 12-19-2011 at 05:16 PM   #33
redwine

Went in and talked to the academic advisor today. Looks like ill be alright as long as i get my avg up above a 3 before the end of first year. If i can get it above a 6 by the end of summer, im guaranteed to get into honours med phys as its not competitive. Salem, dont worry; its never as bad as it seems! Everything is fixable as long as you work hard enough at it! Not that im out of the woods just yet lol. Just wanted to thank everybody again for the advice youre all too kind. Happy holidays.
Old 12-19-2011 at 05:18 PM   #34
redwine

Also yeah thy dont do a review until may, so unless your average is under a 3.0 at the end of the year you wont get kicked out of school.
Old 12-19-2011 at 09:19 PM   #35
wesiscool

Liked: 13 Times

Learn from your mistakes that occurred in term 1. Better manage your time, don't leave anything to the last minute, and ask professors and tas for clarifications on concepts you don't understand. You still have 2nd term to pull up your marks, and don't think about failing—doesn't help.

redwine says thanks to wesiscool for this post.