Dr. Mclean for Math 1Z04... xxsumz Academics 8 08-14-2009 10:15 AM
Math 1Z04, where can I get help kenvin100 Academics 11 11-02-2008 08:59 PM
MATH 1Z04 Lab 1 Bobby66 Academics 1 10-06-2008 10:08 PM

Failing Math 1Z04. Not so bad?

Old 10-23-2008 at 11:24 AM   #16
micadjems
Awesome Member

Liked: 382 Times

Well alright then, yeah you just gotta know how to do a few of the problems really well, and if all else fails, take summer school. NBD!
Old 10-23-2008 at 11:48 AM   #17
wintermelon

Liked: Liked 2 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj-maxx View Post
Hey Jackie...
Well the hard part doesnt worry me but is 2nd year apparently as boring as year one?
I like none of my subjects right now.

And math doesnt matter if you choose like biomed or software right I mean you have to pass it but it isnt the core subject for those majors. right?
Cause I'll get a 50 on Math if I'm lucky enough
Math is essential to software engineering. Anything software related like computer science also places a high emphasis on math.

I actually prefer not having to calculate things. It saves time, makes things a lot easier, and gives you easy numbers to work with so things don't get too confusing.
Old 10-23-2008 at 02:30 PM   #18
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt_ View Post
Repeating a program is a problem for me.

You see, I've already re-taken all maths in high school, so I'm a year behind everyone my age. I don't want to be stuck two years behind. At the rate I'm going, in 2015, I'll have an Engineering degree. At the age of 28. Not exactly what I had planned, and think of all of the tuition fees!
If you recall, the old OAC curriculum had 5 years of university for students; so it's only in the last five years that things have changed.

And you know what...you're going to be more mature than your peers. Having been here for five years now (and staying an extra year of highschool myself), I've realized the difference it makes. Students coming in at 18 tend to make more errors of judgement than someone who comes in at 19.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Last edited by lorend : 10-24-2008 at 02:13 PM.
Old 10-23-2008 at 09:57 PM   #19
davey
Elite Member

Liked: 14 Times

Quote:
Repeating a program is a problem for me.

You see, I've already re-taken all maths in high school, so I'm a year behind everyone my age. I don't want to be stuck two years behind. At the rate I'm going, in 2015, I'll have an Engineering degree. At the age of 28. Not exactly what I had planned, and think of all of the tuition fees!

I'm 90% certain engineering is for me. I mean, I LOVE chemistry, and apart from how frustrating math is (And Eng P), I find all of my courses fun, even if they're work-intensive. I enjoy building things (Anyone heard of Benheck? I built a SNESp. If you don't understand this don't worry) and am always full of ideas (How to hack "Stacker" Machines seen in theatres and Walmart and the likes). As soon as I have time, I'm going to try to apply for a patent or two. My dream job would be something in R&D.

I don't think there's really any other course that would get me to where I want to go.
If thats really what you want to do, then just try your hardest. However, know your limitations. Adjust accordingly, even if it means taking longer than most people or taking courses summer school. It'll be worth it in the end. You have your whole life ahead of you.
Old 10-23-2008 at 11:34 PM   #20
aj-maxx
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 1 Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by wintermelon View Post
Math is essential to software engineering. Anything software related like computer science also places a high emphasis on math.

I actually prefer not having to calculate things. It saves time, makes things a lot easier, and gives you easy numbers to work with so things don't get too confusing.

But apparently its not as bad-ass as 1z04 and 1zz5 apparently(hopefully)
Cause I dont want to be dropping out of year two...
Old 10-24-2008 at 07:15 AM   #21
kenvin100
Elite Member

Liked: 21 Times

[quote=lorend;39887][quote=Kurt_;39874]Repeating a program is a problem for me.

Quote:

If you recall, the old OAC curriculum had 5 years of university for students; so it's only in the last five years that things have changed.

And you know what...you're going to be more mature than your peers. Having been here for five years now (and staying an extra year of highschool myself), I've realized the difference it makes. Students coming in at 18 tend to make more errors of judgement than someone who comes in at 19.
i always wondered why they took out grade 13..honestly im not ready for university..after going through one month of it, im not even close to ready for it..

Old 10-24-2008 at 07:16 AM   #22
micadjems
Awesome Member

If you can do year 1 you can do year 2 - its just a matter of making sure youve picked the right department for you!
Old 10-24-2008 at 07:17 AM   #23
micadjems
Awesome Member

and they took out grade 13 beacuse they either had to cut JK or OAC, i think because of lack of funding. Guess which one they chose?

Also explains a lot about why theres TONS less advertised about drinking at uni - poeple coming in arent mostly 19 anymore! :O
Old 10-24-2008 at 10:44 AM   #24
Kurt_

Liked: 0 Times

Yeah, but look at me. I am clearly significantly more prepared than you. [/sarcasm]

They didn't take out 13, they crammed it into 11 and 12. You wouldn't be any more prepared, I don't think. And honestly, staying back a year, I'm still not prepared! Coming in, I hadn't taken chemistry for two years. Lucky it's my strongest subject.
Old 10-24-2008 at 12:36 PM   #25
tbiris

Well considering that teachers end up cutting off the last chapter in classes because gr. 13 was crammed into 11 and 12, yeah we're unprepared in that sense.

I was mostly clueless for the redox section in Chemistry just because it was always the last chapter, and there was never enough time for it.

In regards to the Math, I've found that I've been doing really badly as well, even though I too know the concepts and stuff. I guess I'll try to start doing those suggested problems now...
Old 10-24-2008 at 02:17 PM   #26
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenvin100 View Post
i always wondered why they took out grade 13..honestly im not ready for university..after going through one month of it, im not even close to ready for it..
We were also considered "behind" all the other provinces, as they had four year high school curricula, not five.

Quote:
Yeah, but look at me. I am clearly significantly more prepared than you. [/sarcasm]
I never said anything about academic preperation. A lot of that has to do with your individual high schools and not the Ontario curriculum. I was referring to maturity and mental prepared-ness.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 10-24-2008 at 02:58 PM   #27
wintermelon

Liked: Liked 2 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj-maxx View Post
But apparently its not as bad-ass as 1z04 and 1zz5 apparently(hopefully)
Cause I dont want to be dropping out of year two...
1Z04 is high school calculus plus a bit more. I would think everything beyond 1Z04 is going to be more "badass".

Sorry to be a downer, but software engineering is technically mathematics. Though I don't know how they do things around here, and according to the undergraduate calendar, you'll only have to take another 2 math courses in second year.
Old 10-24-2008 at 04:41 PM   #28
micadjems
Awesome Member

most people (all?) have to take math 2m03, 2mm3, and elec/comp/phys take 2p04 and 2q04 - even harder! :O
Old 10-24-2008 at 08:25 PM   #29
aj-maxx
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
Originally Posted by wintermelon View Post
1Z04 is high school calculus plus a bit more. I would think everything beyond 1Z04 is going to be more "badass".

Sorry to be a downer, but software engineering is technically mathematics. Though I don't know how they do things around here, and according to the undergraduate calendar, you'll only have to take another 2 math courses in second year.

2 Math courses..that means not a lot of math...
I'm gonna be talking to my prof soon
If it does indeed have a lot of math I'll have to look for something new...
Old 10-27-2008 at 02:02 AM   #30
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,656 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorend View Post
We were also considered "behind" all the other provinces, as they had four year high school curricula, not five.
I'm pretty sure Ontario was never considered behind other provinces. According to some second years I know from Manitoba, the normal Ontario curriculum is considered more difficult than their IB program. Apparently though, a lot of provinces are now trying to meet the Ontario education standards.