Math 1Z04 Test mike_302 Academics 0 10-07-2009 03:03 PM
Dr. Mclean for Math 1Z04... xxsumz Academics 8 08-14-2009 10:15 AM
Math 1Z04, where can I get help kenvin100 Academics 11 11-02-2008 08:59 PM
MATH 1Z04 Lab 1 Bobby66 Academics 1 10-06-2008 10:08 PM

Failing Math 1Z04. Not so bad?

Old 10-28-2008 at 04:31 PM   #31
yevenbother

Liked: 0 Times

yeah i'm in first year aswell and 1z04 is a real pain. I'm actually having some trouble with physics too, but I think it's because alot of people got through highschool doing the minimum amount of work and still getting decent grades, that's how I was, and now it's really messing me over. Like i find myself having to study alot longer then some people on my floor who actually had good study habits. I think if you can build up the habits, even if that means temporarily give up a bunch of things until you catch-up with the material, and by catch up i mean somewhat understand it...well that's the method i'm going to try, i'll let you know if it works...i blame highschool
why did it have to be so easy compared to this???

Last edited by yevenbother : 10-28-2008 at 04:49 PM.
Old 10-28-2008 at 05:30 PM   #32
kenvin100
Elite Member

Liked: 21 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by yevenbother View Post
yeah i'm in first year aswell and 1z04 is a real pain. I'm actually having some trouble with physics too, but I think it's because alot of people got through highschool doing the minimum amount of work and still getting decent grades, that's how I was, and now it's really messing me over. Like i find myself having to study alot longer then some people on my floor who actually had good study habits. I think if you can build up the habits, even if that means temporarily give up a bunch of things until you catch-up with the material, and by catch up i mean somewhat understand it...well that's the method i'm going to try, i'll let you know if it works...i blame highschool
why did it have to be so easy compared to this???

TRUE SAY! I completely agreed with everything you said..gosh, I wish my calc teacher completed the vectors course in calculus..some people are just more prepped for uni life because their grade 12 teachers trained them so well..this honestly is making me go back to my high school and just warn future 1st yrs that they're in for a ride! I feel so underprepped for uni to this day..

I too admit high school did not do enough for us..a good chuck of the "assumed knowledge" is brand new to me! But then again, like u said, if u sacrifice enough, it will be worth it!

Old 10-28-2008 at 06:43 PM   #33
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenvin100 View Post
But then again, like u said, if u sacrifice enough, it will be worth it!
It's the same for us as upper years too...although we've gotten through first year we still give up a lot in order to do well. University is no cakewalk, no matter what year you're in.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 12-06-2008 at 02:41 PM   #34
conanm16

1Z04 really isn't that bad. I'm finding it pretty easy and slacking a lot. I skipped more than half my lectures and learned more from the textbook. I'm switching to Math for second term and I'll have 3 math classes, physics and microecon. So that's a lot of Math for ya.
Old 12-06-2008 at 06:58 PM   #35
wintermelon

Liked: Liked 2 Times

Yeah, I'm surprised how helpful the textbook has been. Usually they...aren't.
Old 12-06-2008 at 10:11 PM   #36
conanm16

Quote:
Originally Posted by wintermelon View Post
Yeah, I'm surprised how helpful the textbook has been. Usually they...aren't.
The textbook still sucks compared to pre-1980s textbooks. They take so much out. They're like for dummies books now.
Old 12-07-2008 at 10:23 AM   #37
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,656 Times

I prefer the textbook being for dummies rather than for all the aspiring Steven Hawkings out there...

I find it to be one of the greatest textbooks I have ever used. I pretty much learned this entire course from that book since I had no idea what my professorSeñor Gomez-Velez was talking about.

The worst part was when I actually finished learning a section from the book, I would go check my notes and see that most of the ones the professor wrote were direct copies of the book, including the examples...
Old 12-16-2008 at 01:20 PM   #38
kenvin100
Elite Member

Well having finished the math exams, im in a neutral state..lol..has there been any new talk of a bell curve put into effect?

Old 12-16-2008 at 02:24 PM   #39
Jalex

Haven't heard anything more about the bell curve situation, hoping though, and I've actually got a question about it. When they do a bell curve to make the class average look nicer, do they only bump up the marks of people who pass, say from 54 to a 63 or something? or would that mean your 45 could be bumped up to a passing 51, for example???
Old 12-16-2008 at 02:34 PM   #40
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

The exam wasn't bad, and was certainly much easier than the practice ones we were given. If you had not studied however, I could see how this would be impossibly difficult.
Old 12-16-2008 at 04:18 PM   #41
kenvin100
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
The exam wasn't bad, and was certainly much easier than the practice ones we were given. If you had not studied however, I could see how this would be impossibly difficult.
i didnt find it hard..just blanked out and ran out of gas..6 exams is too much..well back to studying i got one more tomorrow :(

Old 12-16-2008 at 06:00 PM   #42
frhnh

Liked: 1 Time

Yeah the sample exam was pretty intense, I thought I was gonna have a nervous breakdown in the middle of doing it.

Anyways, question: If we fail Math 1Z04, I've heard that we have to obtain 'special permission'; to take Math next sem. Any conditions for this 'special permission'? (a minimum grade, etc..)
Old 12-16-2008 at 08:06 PM   #43
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Quote:
i didnt find it hard..just blanked out and ran out of gas..6 exams is too much..well back to studying i got one more tomorrow :(
lol, that happens to me at the beginning of every exam for at least the first five minutes. I sit there all like :|, then I lol.
Old 12-16-2008 at 08:22 PM   #44
kenvin100
Elite Member

the thing is, im really asking myself why this test was so late into the exam schedule..like after completing my first 3 exams, i really tried and had a great sense of satisifaction..this week since P03, i have this neutral feeling and i put absolutely no effort in this math exam..either im rly sick and tired of hamilton after stayin in this dump for 30 days, or i rly want to go home, or i rly want to go into holiday mode since kids at rye were done last week..i dont kno but right now, i honestly dont give two cents for my final exam tomorrow..weird.. i need a but i dont drink lol

Old 12-16-2008 at 10:52 PM   #45
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Quote:
...since kids at rye were done last week..
Kids at Ryerson are stoopid. At least, all the ones from my high school that went there were. They can't handle intense exam schedules like ours :p