MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can you still drop a course without failing it? Phantom Academics 3 11-13-2013 12:32 AM
Failing out of Commerce!!! henry4399 Academics 4 05-06-2013 12:06 PM
Failing out need advice kevinr93 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 7 04-17-2013 07:39 PM
Failing help jigga_man Academics 2 12-07-2011 06:15 PM

Failing...What next?

Old 12-14-2016 at 03:52 PM   #1
purplepapaya

Liked: 0 Times

Failing...What next?
Hi,

So I'm in Life Science I. I'm pretty sure that I'm on my way to failing two courses. Naturally, I'm going to work very hard to do well on my exams, but it's gonna be close.

The classes are MATH 1LS3 (not because it's too difficult, but the transition from high school was a bit rough, and I just didn't put in the work I should have, so I fell behind) and BIOPHYS 1S03 (complete lack of interest was my problem here).

My question is - what happens next? I'll definitely retake math in the summer if needed so that I can do much better. As for biophysics, I never want to look at it again. Because it's an elective, am I good to just take a different elective in its place during the summer?

I understand that Fs still count towards your cumulative average. I just want to make sure that I'm not going to get kicked out of school or something. I'm probably over-thinking it, but as I've never struggled in school before, I am a bit scared HAHA.

What's my best course of action?
Old 12-14-2016 at 04:44 PM   #2
GeorgeLucas
Elite Member

Liked: 91 Times

Learn from your mistakes and get your shit together. What do you think you need to do?
Old 12-14-2016 at 05:06 PM   #3
purplepapaya

That I know, and you're right. I'm just wondering more about the technicalities of what I should do, and how it'll affect admissions and my second year. I definitely will go to speak with an advisor, but was also wondering if anyone has gone through something similar, and what they chose to do.
Old 12-14-2016 at 06:11 PM   #4
MovingTarget

Liked: 6 Times

While I don't have any personal experience with your situation, a couple general tips I can give you is to closely monitor your Cumulative GPA now as the 2 F's on your transcript may affect your chances on getting into the 2nd year program you want. Also monitor your CGPA so you don't fall below the required average to even stay in your program.

I agree that you should take 1LS3 in the summer as it's required for all first year science students (or 1A03) and you may not get into any second year stream without it. It's not a big deal if you do or don't take your elective course in the summer as that can be made up whenever in your 4 years. Just keep in mind that you are 'behind' 1 course now so you will either have to overload your schedule or take another course in the summer to graduate within 4 years. (Obviously you can stay for a 5th year if you can't fit it in within 4 years, or you program has a co-op, etc.)

But definitely go talk to a guidance counsellor preferably before you leave for the break as they will be crazy busy the first few weeks when every one comes back.

purplepapaya says thanks to MovingTarget for this post.
Old 12-14-2016 at 07:06 PM   #5
purplepapaya

Oh, awesome. Didn't know I could do electives whenever.

Obviously I'm not PLANNING to fail, it's just in the event that I do. My other three classes are going quite well, and now that I know how fast things go, I can definitely get my ass in gear next semester. I'll also make sure to see an advisor before the break.

Thanks for your advice!