MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
residence GraceChoi First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 06-21-2010 12:27 PM
Residence Rep loats14 Residence & Housing 6 01-27-2010 04:14 PM
Residence saigalhz General Discussion 13 04-10-2009 09:44 AM
The Residence Flu katie_batt General Discussion 9 09-19-2008 12:27 PM
Residence Ruggedman First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 07-03-2008 07:48 AM

FCE and Residence

Old 03-18-2010 at 02:36 PM   #1
moonlitnight

Liked: 4 Times

FCE and Residence
Hi
I have gotten acceptance from McMaster Engineering and planning to get into biomedical engineering.
Afterwards I plan to go either Grad for Biomed or Medicine. I am not sure yet and want to have both options open for me. I was checking through the prerequisites for Grad schools and I came across the term Full Course Equivalent
How is that counted?
Lets say for 1st year engineering
PHYSICS 1D03 and PHYSICS 1E03 each are half course and together they count as one full course? ( as both are 1 term long)

Another question
Is there a better chance of getting the residence preference if I apply early?
Do most of the 1st years get bunk & loft?
(i am interested in it only to cut cost)
Old 03-18-2010 at 02:51 PM   #2
manu
jack

Liked: 75 Times

Get through first year first then think about grad school. Applying early to res wont get you the room type you want...just make sure to apply before the deadline
Old 03-18-2010 at 02:57 PM   #3
andrew22
Account Locked

Liked: 238 Times

Wow you really have shit figured out huh? what about biomed/engineering/medicine do you love that you picked it over everything in the world? (legit curious)
Old 03-18-2010 at 02:59 PM   #4
nila*

Liked: 52 Times

If you plan on going to Med School, the biomed engineering program will ensure that you have all the pre-reqs by the end of your third year.

Physics 1D03 and 1E03 are individual courses but 1D03 is a prereq for 1E03.

For res, as long as you apply for the deadline you're good. It doesn't matter how early you apply. I believe its purely a lottery system now. I got to live in Bates in my first and second year.

I agree with manu, get through first year and then start worrying about grad school, especially since first year of engineering is general, you might even change your mind when the time comes to choose your specific stream.

Last edited by nila* : 03-18-2010 at 03:01 PM.
Old 03-18-2010 at 03:25 PM   #5
RTinkess31

Liked: 43 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by nila* View Post
Physics 1D03 and 1E03 are individual courses but 1D03 is a prereq for 1E03.
1D03 isn't a prereq for 1E03, I'm pretty sure the only course in first year eng that has a university-level prereq is second semester math.

http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /CALEN...nt/pg1197.html
Old 03-18-2010 at 03:25 PM   #6
moonlitnight

Thanks for the replies

I didn't intend to plan this much...I was going "deciding when time comes" way ..but my relatives put the "plan before you go anywhere" mantra and that made my parents make me do all these planning
brown relatives i tell you
Old 03-18-2010 at 04:16 PM   #7
moonlitnight

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew22 View Post
Wow you really have shit figured out huh? what about biomed/engineering/medicine do you love that you picked it over everything in the world? (legit curious)
i like engineering ..and my parents are pushing for medicine...so i decided to try for the middle ground: "med" part for them and engineering for myself. hehe
Old 03-18-2010 at 04:17 PM   #8
manu
jack

Liked: 75 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonlitnight View Post
i like engineering ..and my parents are pushing for medicine...so i decided to try for the middle ground: "med" part for them and engineering for myself. hehe
Easier said than done..Good luck!
Old 03-18-2010 at 04:21 PM   #9
moonlitnight

Quote:
Originally Posted by manu View Post
Easier said than done..Good luck!
i know...thanks
Old 03-19-2010 at 01:47 AM   #10
macsci
Elite Member

Liked: 93 Times

I don't think you realize what you're getting yourself into. Engineering, despite being one of the most rewarding undergrad degrees, is a very demanding discipline. For this reason, it is probably not the best route if you want to pursue medicine. It can be done, but will be very challenging.

Many find the first year eng transition to be extremely difficult, so you should probably get past this hurdle before reevaluating your options. Planning is great but you also need to be realistic.

Best of luck!
Old 03-21-2010 at 09:49 AM   #11
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by macsci View Post
I don't think you realize what you're getting yourself into. Engineering, despite being one of the most rewarding undergrad degrees, is a very demanding discipline. For this reason, it is probably not the best route if you want to pursue medicine. It can be done, but will be very challenging.

Many find the first year eng transition to be extremely difficult, so you should probably get past this hurdle before reevaluating your options. Planning is great but you also need to be realistic.

Best of luck!
One of the doctors at Campus Heath did his undergrad in Eng, and then went to med school after. I'm not 100% sure of the reasons why he chose to do what he did, but he's been a doctor for over 20 years so I'd say he's happy with his choice.

That being said, first year Eng can be quite challenging, . Foresight is usually beneficial, but I found with university sometimes its best to really see what happens.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 03-21-2010 at 01:35 PM   #12
Geek
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 98 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorend View Post
but I found with university sometimes its best to really see what happens.
Agreed. I've lost count of the number of people who knew EXACTLY what they wanted to do with their life when they entered first year Eng, and either
a) failed out of first year
b) transferred faculties or,
c) stayed in Eng but completely re-evaulated their career path.

personally, i was c) and I have no regrets. I know I'm happier in the program I'm in than I would have been if I'd stuck blindly to my initial career path.

On the other hand, it's not unknown for people to do Eng, while planning for med school: be warned though that med school applicants need stellar grades which is not easy to keep up with an engineering courseload. I know someone who's double majoring in Health Sci and Eng Phys and has basically been accepted to every med school he applied to, but needless to say he's the exception to the rule.

The point of this post: planning is good. but realize that you may fall in love with something you experience in first year, whether its an elective course, or a different stream of engineering, so keep your options open, and realize that not many people stick to the same discipline that they get their undergraduate degree in anyway.

Good luck!