MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2 questions Juve First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 09-08-2010 06:02 PM
Course Questions RyanC Academics 6 06-10-2010 10:07 AM
DC++ questions lavalampsky General Discussion 3 09-14-2009 06:11 PM
Some financing questions Juicebox First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 5 09-13-2009 09:36 PM
few questions starlight First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 09-12-2009 08:51 PM

A few financing questions if I may

Old 07-05-2009 at 08:15 PM   #1
Juicebox

Liked: 179 Times

A few financing questions if I may
1. Attending Mac in Sept. My avg is in the high 80s, and my admission letter stated that I will receive an entrance scholarship. Yet under the Online Payment Agreement in the FUNDING OPTIONS the "McMaster Scholarship(s)" option is greyed out, how come? How can I resolve this?

2. I understand this is just a payment agreement, when will the actual payment have to be made? (I'm paying in full)

3. How do you guys pay for your books once you start learning? Do many people buy used? Are there any faqs on this site that deal with this?

Thanks for lookin
Old 07-05-2009 at 08:18 PM   #2
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juicebox View Post
1. Attending Mac in Sept. My avg is in the high 80s, and my admission letter stated that I will receive an entrance scholarship. Yet under the Online Payment Agreement in the FUNDING OPTIONS the "McMaster Scholarship(s)" option is greyed out, how come? How can I resolve this?

2. I understand this is just a payment agreement, when will the actual payment have to be made? (I'm paying in full)

3. How do you guys pay for your books once you start learning? Do many people buy used? Are there any faqs on this site that deal with this?

Thanks for lookin
1. Scholarships haven't been distributed yet

2. When you click for a summary of your PA it'll tell you exactly when you have to pay by. I think for payment in full the deadline is September 1st.

3. You should buy used, if you buy from students you'll have to use cash. If you buy from titles you can charge your McMaster Account. Interest accumulates on the last day of each month and I think there is no interest on the first month, but the cashier should tell you.

Juicebox says thanks to jhan523 for this post.
Old 07-05-2009 at 08:23 PM   #3
Juicebox

Liked: 179 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
1. Scholarships haven't been distributed yet

2. When you click for a summary of your PA it'll tell you exactly when you have to pay by. I think for payment in full the deadline is September 1st.

3. You should buy used, if you buy from students you'll have to use cash. If you buy from titles you can charge your McMaster Account. Interest accumulates on the last day of each month and I think there is no interest on the first month, but the cashier should tell you.

Thank you good sir,
that was easy.
Old 07-05-2009 at 08:23 PM   #4
RoyK
Zetsubou Sensei

Liked: 71 Times

1.I can't recall what happened with my entrance scholarship and how it went with the whole Payment Agreement. If I can recall this correctly, I'm pretty sure it should be enabled. You can always call the Office of the Registrar to clear this up.

2. The payment doesn't happen till early September I believe? And in full depends on how you plan on paying the school. If you pay in full, it will be due right away up front. If you plan on doing installments, there should be a guide somewhere along the payment page located here

3. Many people buy used books. This site has a buying/selling section that often advertises used text books. Do not feel hesitant to wait your first week though when it comes to buying text books. Different profs may sometimes use different packages (I recall their being 3 if not 4 packages last year for Math for example).
Old 07-05-2009 at 08:31 PM   #5
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

About buying used:

It depends on your preferences...like personally I don't like buying used books because I like to keep mine for future reference...this depends on your program perhaps. I'm in Math so the material is cumulative, having my old texts has helped me many times. Someone who buys a lot of literature (in the Humanities for instance) may not need every book they buy however. It's your choice.

Financially, it is cheaper to buy from Students than from the McMaster Bookstore. Occasionally I found some used (Bookstore) books that are practically brand new, and of course took those and slashed like 60 dollars off my costs. For this reason, I recommend dropping into the McMaster bookstore a week or two before classes start to see if you can find any good deals like this....if you're interested in buying new, that is.

Other than that, I would not trust buying used books from McMaster's bookstore, because it's generally more expensive than buying from students.