MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
need help for my situation kudougw Academics 3 05-03-2011 03:28 PM
A situation...! Rock007 Dating & Relationships 40 04-29-2011 02:27 PM
win win situation runner108 General Discussion 2 09-10-2010 09:47 AM
are they really in a bad situation? BinMonitored Academics 4 05-30-2010 02:26 PM
Prevent Laptop Theft kokosas Technology 26 07-05-2009 05:12 PM

Financial situation that may prevent me from coming to Mac

Old 05-04-2012 at 02:30 PM   #16
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vessi View Post
Does OSAP cover Teacher's College as well?
And if it does, if I were to take a year off after getting my degree to work and then go to Teacher's College, am I required to make my OSAP payments throughout Teacher's College?
6 months after your schoooling with mac being done is when the payments would be required to be paid. There are exceptions to be made, mostly related to bankrupsy, and you could talk to the OSAP people to see about extending the payment deadlines.

I just asked my question to make you think about your reasons for going here... tell your mom all that; if you're passionate about this place and think you could get a lot more out of your education by moving out of your 'home bubble', demonstrate to your mum how important this is to you.
Old 05-04-2012 at 02:48 PM   #17
Chevalier
Elite Member

Liked: 203 Times

^^^ isnt it as long as ur in school the osap doesnt collect interest?. so if you apply for grad immediately after and regardless of which school you go to osap wont start collecting interest until you are completely done your schooling?

of course if you take that year off then it will start to collect interest after that 6 months
Old 05-04-2012 at 02:59 PM   #18
macbaby07
Elite Member

Liked: 54 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevalier View Post
^^^ isnt it as long as ur in school the osap doesnt collect interest?. so if you apply for grad immediately after and regardless of which school you go to osap wont start collecting interest until you are completely done your schooling?

of course if you take that year off then it will start to collect interest after that 6 months

that's correct. if you graduated after 4 years and went to grad school right after WITH osap then you wouldn't have to start paying until the end of your grad schooling. BUT if you decided to go to grad school without continuing osap or take a year off and then go it would start accumulating interest after 6 months.

proof: my sister
Old 05-04-2012 at 09:30 PM   #19
qwerty91
Elite Member

Liked: 173 Times

try looking into a student line of credit with your local bank. Rates are fairly reasonable and it would make an excellent buffer if you do run super low on money.

Also consider that for me at least OSAP has gone down every year while my tuition seems to be going up (and parents income has stayed constant)
Old 05-05-2012 at 10:52 PM   #20
Vessi
Tiny

Liked: 44 Times

Thanks for the suggestions
Just to reiterate:

- OSAP! (apply for after acceptance)
- Entrance scholarship (deducted from account)
- Other scholarships
- Job (apply during the year) http://sfas.mcmaster.ca/work_study/jobs.html
- Bursaries (apply after acceptance) http://sfas.mcmaster.ca/bursary/macbur.html
- Grants (through OSAP)
- Student lines of credit
- Textbooks are dumb, also buy them used (obviously )
Old 05-05-2012 at 10:56 PM   #21
akikokoyoki
The Welcome Wagon
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 101 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vessi View Post
Thanks for the suggestions
Just to reiterate:

- OSAP! (apply for after acceptance)
- Entrance scholarship (deducted from account)
- Other scholarships
- Job (apply during the year) http://sfas.mcmaster.ca/work_study/jobs.html
- Bursaries (apply after acceptance) http://sfas.mcmaster.ca/bursary/macbur.html
- Grants (through OSAP)
- Student lines of credit
- Textbooks are dumb, also buy them used (obviously )
yup that's pretty much it...

Vessi says thanks to akikokoyoki for this post.
Old 05-05-2012 at 10:58 PM   #22
Vessi
Tiny

Woo okay, time to do some research... I'm pretty much stupid when it comes to real-world stuff. :X
Hopefully I can convince my mom and she'll listen rationally instead of emotionally. :|
Old 05-05-2012 at 11:40 PM   #23
dsahota

Liked: 83 Times

Also don't forget for later years you can do co-op (or experiential learning as social sciences calls it):

http://experiential-ed.mcmaster.ca/students
Old 05-05-2012 at 11:42 PM   #24
Vessi
Tiny

Oh right! I was planning to do that hahaha. I'm a bit confused about how it works though. :/ Do you know or do you know somewhere where I can ask and get some clarification about the program?
Old 05-06-2012 at 02:54 PM   #25
eccentrikkk

Liked: 8 Times

to get a bursary from mac you all are forgeting you have to be getting osap....
Old 05-06-2012 at 03:01 PM   #26
Vessi
Tiny

Don't worry, I'm applying for OSAP.
Old 05-06-2012 at 04:02 PM   #27
Malka

Liked: 10 Times

AS everyone has suggested before You should may be consider living off campus and along with that try buying used books that will save you bunch of money and honestly usually osap does cover all your expenses so you should be fine.
Old 05-06-2012 at 04:59 PM   #28
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by eccentrikkk View Post
to get a bursary from mac you all are forgeting you have to be getting osap....
The fact that you can apply for the bursary without having applied to OSAP means that you can still get a bursary without getting OSAP. Chances of actually getting the bursary is slim but it's still possible.
Old 05-06-2012 at 07:28 PM   #29
Vessi
Tiny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malka View Post
AS everyone has suggested before You should may be consider living off campus and along with that try buying used books that will save you bunch of money and honestly usually osap does cover all your expenses so you should be fine.
I don't want to live off campus haha but definitely buying used books. And I hope so, she's worried about paying it back after graduation too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
The fact that you can apply for the bursary without having applied to OSAP means that you can still get a bursary without getting OSAP. Chances of actually getting the bursary is slim but it's still possible.
I thought we have to have applied for osap to get a bursary?

The site says this:
  • "The Office of Student Financial Aid & Scholarships (SFAS) will provide bursary assistance related to tuition, books, compulsory fees, equipment and supplies after a student’s own contribution has been assessed and after OSAP (or out-of-province loan) has been assessed."
  • "Bursary applicants must first access the OSAP program (or government funding from their home province, if not residents of Ontario) in order to be considered for a McMaster bursary."
Old 05-06-2012 at 07:49 PM   #30
Bobby66
was offline, but

Liked: 84 Times

Never let your parents stop you from your dreams, even if you have to do everything yourself. With good marks, determination and bit of luck, everything will work out. Every year, I'm always surprised by the amount of money osap gives me. They give give give and I shall take take take.

Vessi likes this.