MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help finding T13 changturkey First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 09-18-2010 11:53 PM
McMaster World Congress - Student Position Available nbontis MacInsiders Announcements 2 06-18-2010 10:31 PM
Volunteer Position Available for Pop The Bubble SSCLeadership MacInsiders Announcements 1 08-10-2009 08:20 AM
Inter-Residence Council: VP Finance Position Available ferreinm MacInsiders Announcements 6 05-29-2008 03:56 PM
Summer Drama Festival Director Position Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 03-10-2008 01:20 PM

Finding a lab position

Old 01-09-2011 at 05:03 PM   #1
pat2010

Liked: 0 Times

Finding a lab position
Hi,

I am a second year student, and I was wondering if someone could tell me the best way to find a lab position at McMaster.

Thanks
Old 01-09-2011 at 05:13 PM   #2
Kendoon
Sometimes helpful

Liked: 645 Times

talk to the/a professor/IA and hope that you're memorable and intriguing enough as a human being that he gives a crap about you and doesn't forget your name in the next 5 minutes because you're 1 in a class of 300-600?

Old 01-09-2011 at 05:21 PM   #3
jordan19

Liked: 19 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by pat2010 View Post
Hi,

I am a second year student, and I was wondering if someone could tell me the best way to find a lab position at McMaster.

Thanks
putting out helps also

you could cold email the prof too, expressing interest in their work
Old 01-09-2011 at 05:41 PM   #4
Kendoon
Sometimes helpful

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordan19 View Post
putting out helps also

you could cold email the prof too, expressing interest in their work
as if there aren't 10000 other eager wannabe medical students doing the same thing this very moment to every science professor on campus

Alchemist11, L'Étoile like this.
Old 01-09-2011 at 07:12 PM   #5
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 453 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by pat2010 View Post
Hi,

Thanks
Knowing what program you're in would help, there are different opportunities in different programs.
Old 01-09-2011 at 07:14 PM   #6
MCHEDDENITE
Elite Member

Liked: 96 Times

ya putting out seems to work
Old 01-09-2011 at 07:29 PM   #7
L'Étoile
Tooth Fairy

Liked: 543 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendoon View Post
as if there aren't 10000 other eager wannabe medical students doing the same thing this very moment to every science professor on campus
You are officially my favorite person on this forum

McMaster University, Honours B.Sc. in Biology '13, Minor in Psychology

University of British Columbia, DMD '17, Doctor of Dental Medicine
Old 01-09-2011 at 07:37 PM   #8
Kendoon
Sometimes helpful

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Étoile View Post
You are officially my favorite person on this forum
I'm officially everyone's favourite person ever

Old 01-10-2011 at 11:53 AM   #9
BuzzZero

Liked: 2 Times

I am currently doing a research course in a vision lab and I have a part time job in an animal behaviour lab. I am a second year student. One of the profs said I was one of just a couple students who approached him about research so early. I had emailed them the December in the year before for a September position. Just with an email and an easy interview, I got into both labs. So u see, emailing profs is actually not a bad idea at all. But email a lot of profs since less than 10% bother to reply back and a fraction of that actually is interested to see u.

Hope that helped
Old 01-10-2011 at 03:20 PM   #10
Strategy

Liked: 46 Times

What do you guys think about emailing profs in OTHER universities (as in, universities at home) about lab positions? Would they just ignore you since you aren't a student at the school? Is it worth a try?
Old 01-10-2011 at 03:30 PM   #11
MCHEDDENITE
Elite Member

Liked: 96 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzZero View Post
I am currently doing a research course in a vision lab and I have a part time job in an animal behaviour lab. I am a second year student. One of the profs said I was one of just a couple students who approached him about research so early. I had emailed them the December in the year before for a September position. Just with an email and an easy interview, I got into both labs. So u see, emailing profs is actually not a bad idea at all. But email a lot of profs since less than 10% bother to reply back and a fraction of that actually is interested to see u.

Hope that helped
did u e-mail a resume n coverletter or just like a normal e-mail asking if you could work there
Old 01-10-2011 at 03:41 PM   #12
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strategy View Post
What do you guys think about emailing profs in OTHER universities (as in, universities at home) about lab positions? Would they just ignore you since you aren't a student at the school? Is it worth a try?
I worked at a lab at U of T for two summers. Go for it, they may have incentive to prefer students in their own universities though.

Old 01-10-2011 at 03:49 PM   #13
BuzzZero

Liked: 2 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strategy View Post
I also have a friend at Mac who emailed all the biology profs at UofT scarborough and got accepted for a summer research job. So applying to other unis isnt a bad idea either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCHEDDENITE View Post
did u e-mail a resume n coverletter or just like a normal e-mail asking if you could work there
No, I just sent a general email without attachments. I actually emailed about volunteering and instead got a job. Just saying that it's not as easy to get a research job around here, so maybe u should mention that if not a job, whether they are looking for volunteers. Anyways, when they do respond, they will ask you to send a transcript and resume.

Last edited by BuzzZero : 01-10-2011 at 03:55 PM.
Old 01-10-2011 at 03:53 PM   #14
Strategy

Liked: 46 Times

As a first year, should I be asking for a volunteer position or a paid position? Most likely a volunteer position right? I think a paid research position for a first year is unheard of.

Thanks everyone
Old 01-10-2011 at 04:45 PM   #15
BlueMorphan

Liked: 14 Times

You can try applying for an NSERC USRA, and if you get one, you'll get $