MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2nd year Sociology courses/prof review kimzy Academics 15 09-14-2010 08:18 PM
Is Psychology courses considered as a Social Science course? VoyozooT Academics 4 06-08-2010 11:38 PM
Best Sociology Courses? Ruggedman Academics 0 06-08-2010 02:07 AM
Second year courses. (psychology) Failboat Academics 2 04-02-2010 01:57 PM

First Year Anthropology, Psychology and Sociology Courses

Old 06-27-2010 at 06:37 PM   #1
MTK3

Liked: 0 Times

First Year Anthropology, Psychology and Sociology Courses
What's the different in the 3 courses with respect to content, interest, and level of difficulty? Can someone give me a brief description for each course? I'm planning to take one of the 3 during my first year (:
Old 06-27-2010 at 06:53 PM   #2
BDiplock63

Liked: 2 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK3 View Post
What's the different in the 3 courses with respect to content, interest, and level of difficulty? Can someone give me a brief description for each course? I'm planning to take one of the 3 during my first year (:
Hey MTK3,

I took both psychology courses offered last year and would highly recommend them. As for the other two subjects, I cannot really comment as I have taken neither. Though I do know that a major difference between the psychology courses and the others is that the psychology lectures are carried out via online lectures and marking which is based on MC tests (unlike Sociology and Anthropology which are live lectures, tutorials and marking which I believe is based on short answer and essay based tests).

Content wise, it is totally subjective. I would suggest that you choose the courses based on general interest, as you are going to get a bunch of different views which may not reflect your feelings when you take the course. For example, I am taking sociology as an elective going into my second year because it seems interesting, even though I am a psych/neurosci hon student -- if it interests you go for it.

Finally, make sure that these courses are not already prerequisites for a second year program that you could see yourself getting into next year. In that case, you will need to take the course anyways to fill this requirement.

Hope that helped,

Ben
Old 06-27-2010 at 07:13 PM   #3
MTK3

I saw that gr. 12 Bio was recommended for psych and I didn't take it. Does this mean that I'll struggle more in the course than other students?
Old 06-27-2010 at 07:14 PM   #4
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK3 View Post
I saw that gr. 12 Bio was recommended for psych and I didn't take it. Does this mean that I'll struggle more in the course than other students?
Shouldn't make a difference for 1X03, but I heard 1XX3 is more biology based.
Old 06-27-2010 at 09:40 PM   #5
MTK3

Does the fact that Sociology is 2 terms make it a more strenuous course?
Old 06-27-2010 at 09:43 PM   #6
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Nope, just longer taking a 6-unit course is similar to taking a 3-unit course, just spread out longer. It only might be difficult if the final exam in april is cumulative...i'm not sure if the sociology one is or not.

Check out the course reviews on this site, for all three courses, to get a better idea of what they're about. The course outlines might also have been posted
Old 06-27-2010 at 10:08 PM   #7
ruby101

Liked: 5 Times

I'm a new busineess I student, I must take one from behvarioural science courses list ( SOCIOLOGY 1A06, PSYCHOLOGY 1X03, ANTH 1A03 , GEO 1H03 ) but I don't know anything about these courses. Can anyone give me any advice. Which one is easiest ?
Old 06-27-2010 at 10:47 PM   #8
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruby101 View Post
I'm a new busineess I student, I must take one from behvarioural science courses list ( SOCIOLOGY 1A06, PSYCHOLOGY 1X03, ANTH 1A03 , GEO 1H03 ) but I don't know anything about these courses. Can anyone give me any advice. Which one is easiest ?
Easiness is completely subjective.

You can look for the course outlines: Course Outlines

There are probably also course reviews: Course Reviews

littleluzer likes this.
Old 06-28-2010 at 10:19 PM   #9
MTK3

In the course description for Anthro, it says "three hours (lectures and discussion); one term. Does that indicate that the course only has one lecture per week that's three hours long?
Old 06-28-2010 at 10:32 PM   #10
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

No, it could be three 50-min lectures, or two 50-min lectures and one 50-min tutorial. If it's a night class, then it could be a 2hr lecture plus a 50-min tutorial, or a 3hr lecture. Check the master timetable https://adweb.cis.mcmaster.ca /mtt/ to see which one it is
Old 06-30-2010 at 01:01 PM   #11
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

If you didn't take Biology in Grade 12, you can take Biology 1P03 which is the equivalent in first term -- very easy course to do well in, especially if you have Dr. Kajiura.

I took all those courses coincidentally. Anthro 1A03 wasn't necessarily difficult, just time consuming and the professor honestly just wasn't upto par at all. We had an essay and a book report of sorts, two midterms and a final. Almost everyone in the class failed the first midterm, I think the average was 49 or something. I wouldn't recommend this class unless if you're really interested in cultural anthropology.

Anthro 1Z03 on the other hand, is an amazing course. I had Dr. Padiak, she was awesome; now Dr. Poinar is teaching it, and I hear he's equally if not more great. The course is easier, two writing assignments that are only about two pages long; two midterms and a final. The exams consist mostly of short/long answer questions as well as M/C.

Sociology 1A06, who I had with Dr. Fetner was pretty good actually. I managed to get a 10 (equivalent to A-) even though a lot of our mark was based on two essays. The content is interesting depending on your own interests. Lots of readings, but she also records her lectures and puts them up.

Psychology 1X03 is easier than it's 1XX3 counterpart. I didn't really like either course. The content is VERY interesting, but Dr. Kim has very challenging multiple choice tests that really test you on application and not straight knowledge (i.e. memorization), you have to study hard but it's possible to do well. Hope that helps! Check out the course reviews on MacInsiders, tons more info there as well.
Old 07-03-2010 at 10:51 AM   #12
jackiemac

Liked: 71 Times

I agree with much of what feonateresa had to say. In addition I had Dr. Colavecchia for Soc and she too made the class interesting, her tests are fair. I have yet to get my mark (deferred exam) but I'm fairly certain I've earned at least a B+.

I really enjoyed Psych 1X03, didn't take 1XX3. As far as Anthro goes, I had Dr. Arratia.... I wouldn't recommend her. Ever.