MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Engineering 1 Timetable Zachary First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 33 08-30-2010 01:18 PM
Engineering 1 Timetable Review Hurley Academics 8 08-10-2010 05:45 PM
Engineering I Timetable Review Please Ish001 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 5 08-10-2010 12:01 AM
first year engineering timetable Bodun Academics 34 05-25-2010 02:53 PM
Computer Engineering Timetable.. blackdragon First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 11 08-21-2009 04:36 PM

First-Year Engineering Timetable?

Old 07-14-2010 at 01:37 PM   #1
Theashe

Liked: 29 Times

First-Year Engineering Timetable?
I've been piecing together a mock timetable for next year for myself in the Engineering 1 program, and I've noticed that to make the timetable not conflict work with a lot of classes, I'll have ten minutes to get from one building to another (ex. I keep getting a class ending at 4:20 and another starting at 4:30).

For people who've completed a year or more at McMaster:
Is that amount of time between classes unreasonable? Would I be able to get from building to building with my notes, etc, in ten minutes?

For other students entering Engineering 1 in September:
If you've created a mock timetable that looks better than classes starting ten minutes after the last, would you be able to share it?

I realize SOLAR will, for the most part, make me a conflict free timetable, but in the case that one of my electives overlaps a mandatory class, I'd like to just be prepared in advance (I took Psych 1X03 and Econ 1B03).
Old 07-14-2010 at 01:39 PM   #2
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

Its doable, but you could be a couple minutes late. Last year I had to go from KTH basement to ITB-AB102... quite a hike.
Old 07-14-2010 at 01:40 PM   #3
MarkA

Liked: 25 Times

You should be fine with 10 minute breaks. We've all had them. Check the location of each class, and then check a campus map; unless they're literally on the opposite sides of the campus, you'll be fine.
Old 07-14-2010 at 01:47 PM   #4
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkA View Post
You should be fine with 10 minute breaks. We've all had them. Check the location of each class, and then check a campus map; unless they're literally on the opposite sides of the campus, you'll be fine.
Even if they are, you just gotta pick up the pace
Old 07-14-2010 at 02:34 PM   #5
HaXoRZ

Liked: 4 Times

It's perfectly fine I used to have one class in KTH and then 10 mins later a class in ABB, i was almost never late unless the prof in the first class went over time, just remember to start packing up early and as soon as the lecture is done bolt out of there ....the biggest motivator for me not to be late to the second class was that it was physics with Okon and even though he's a really cool prof and doesn't normally mind late entrances there's always the off chance he might make fun of you in front of the whole class
Old 07-14-2010 at 02:41 PM   #6
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theashe View Post
I've been piecing together a mock timetable for next year for myself in the Engineering 1 program, and I've noticed that to make the timetable not conflict work with a lot of classes, I'll have ten minutes to get from one building to another (ex. I keep getting a class ending at 4:20 and another starting at 4:30).

For people who've completed a year or more at McMaster:
Is that amount of time between classes unreasonable? Would I be able to get from building to building with my notes, etc, in ten minutes?

For other students entering Engineering 1 in September:
If you've created a mock timetable that looks better than classes starting ten minutes after the last, would you be able to share it?

I realize SOLAR will, for the most part, make me a conflict free timetable, but in the case that one of my electives overlaps a mandatory class, I'd like to just be prepared in advance (I took Psych 1X03 and Econ 1B03).
All classes end at XX:20, and start at XX:30. Its annoying to not be able to speak to a prof or something if you have to make it to another class after the one youi're in, but thats how pretty much all the classes work in university, unless you get some weird time table because of a lot of electives or something.

The only thing that I would look out for is the VERY popular classes (good prof), which will require you to actually be early to get a decent (if any) seat. Most profs are a bit late or wait a little after XX:30 to start sometimes.
Old 07-14-2010 at 03:12 PM   #7
AnguishedEnd
Elite Member

Liked: 103 Times

10 minutes is perfectly reasonable, unless in the off chance you get one class in ABB then have to hike it to KTH or something. I never had a problem in first year with the travel time only in second year did I run into having classes all over the place. Plus won't you have most of your classes in the new ETB building? If thats the case then getting from one class to another within 10 minutes won't be a problem.