MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can 2nd year students select 1st year electives? Daman K Academics 8 09-08-2010 08:03 PM
Extremely good English course electives now in Mac!! mcmastergcdb First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 06-22-2010 12:28 PM
2nd year hon. bio electives amandae Academics 12 06-09-2010 06:06 PM
English electives for science students: what not to take? shreya s. Academics 2 04-28-2010 08:21 PM
second year electives shikha Academics 84 07-01-2009 10:44 AM

First year English Electives?

Old 12-26-2012 at 09:42 PM   #1
jake0405

Liked: 0 Times

First year English Electives?
Hi,
I have to take one of the first year English courses as a prerequisite even though i don't want to. So i was wondering which one of the English courses would be easiest for someone who's not enrolled in Englsih/Humanities program: English 1A03, 1AA3, or 1CS3.
I'm a Science major, so when it comes to English I'm not that great and English wasn't my strong suite backm in highschool either. I'm kind of scared of taking English because i think i read in some post that the avg for 1st year English were in C+.
So i just wanted ppl's opinion on which English would be easier elective for english newbie like me.
Old 12-26-2012 at 09:49 PM   #2
SweetyTweety
Elite Member

Liked: 164 Times

1a03 is pretty easy, and the readings are really short.. the only downside for you would be the poetry part of the course - you have to analyze a bunch of poems and look at rhyme schemes and stuff...
but the tutorials realllly help out in that case... they're basically group discussions of what you think the poems are trying to convey. Everyone gives their own interpretations, so you get a few ideas for your essays.
I had Dr. York for that course and she's just adorable. I absolutely loved her lectures.
Old 12-27-2012 at 06:48 AM   #3
Zebedee
Resident Artist

Liked: 242 Times

Reeeeeaaaaaalllllyyyy depends on the TA you manage to get....
But I'd say Cs3.
Old 12-27-2012 at 03:22 PM   #4
jake0405

Ya 1CS3 seems better, since it's based on cultural studies, at least i feel like i'm learning something..
Old 12-27-2012 at 03:31 PM   #5
Frankenseuss

Liked: 23 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jake0405 View Post
Ya 1CS3 seems better, since it's based on cultural studies, at least i feel like i'm learning something..
I've taken both 1A03 and 1CS3. Do not take 1CS3; 1A03 is both much easier and much more interesting.

Here's the 1CS3 course outline for Winter 2012:
http://www.humanities.mcmast er.ca/~e...CS3%20DEAN.pdf

You can check out the reviews, including mine, here if you are interested:
http://www.macinsiders.com/showthrea...?ltr=E&t= 47646

Here's my 1A03 review (course outline in the link too
http://www.macinsiders.com/showthrea...7#p ost350697

jake0405 says thanks to Frankenseuss for this post.
Old 12-27-2012 at 10:12 PM   #6
lizziepizzie
aka Mrs. Henry Cavill

Liked: 423 Times

I've taken all four first year English classes. I'd say that Long Genres and History of English Lit are the hardest. They certainly have the most reading. The reading is super light for Shorter Genres, and while you do cover a lot of poetry, it's mainly straightforward. Intro to Cultural Studies has more reading, but I never read anything and came out with a 10. Conversely, it is important to keep up with your reading in Shorter Genres. Again, the reading is super light, but you will quickly be left behind if you don't keep up.

Ultimately, I would recommend Shorter Genres.

Good luck.

jake0405 says thanks to lizziepizzie for this post.
Old 12-27-2012 at 10:14 PM   #7
Angoose
Elite Member

Liked: 121 Times

I've written a review on 1CS3 since I had just taken the course last term. It was definitely less interesting than what I expected, so I would recommend taking 1A03.
I actually don't know what my mark is for English 1CS3, since none of them were uploaded on Avenue. It's a little troubling to have that hanging over my head for the holiday.

jake0405 says thanks to Angoose for this post.
Old 12-28-2012 at 03:10 PM   #8
jake0405

hmmph. 1CS3 is taught by different prof next sem, dr.o'connor, if anyone have experience with this prof
Old 01-01-2013 at 02:55 PM   #9
Goran

Liked: 43 Times

Just go with 1A03, it's the easiest in terms of workload. 1CS3 is probably the hardest of the 1st year English classes and is not exactly a bird course.
1AA3 is also pretty easy and despite what some people might say you don't need to read all the books to do well. I didn't read any of them (only skimmed through online summaries) and walked out with an 11.
Old 01-01-2013 at 05:26 PM   #10
Angoose
Elite Member

Liked: 121 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goran View Post
Just go with 1A03, it's the easiest in terms of workload. 1CS3 is probably the hardest of the 1st year English classes and is not exactly a bird course.
1AA3 is also pretty easy and despite what some people might say you don't need to read all the books to do well. I didn't read any of them (only skimmed through online summaries) and walked out with an 11.
I wish I knew that before I took 1CS3 last term :'(.
Old 01-02-2013 at 12:00 AM   #11
J. Dorey
Elite Member

Liked: 169 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jake0405 View Post
Just be careful when looking at Cultural Studies courses. They're a lot different than what most people expect at first, myself included. They're based heavily upon pretty complex theories, understanding/working with them, and then applying them to primary texts, whereas classes like 1A03/1AA3 are based strictly upon the primary text and different readings of them.
As for your comment about actually learning something, you will learn something in every class you take if you actually approach it with the right mindset. For English courses, you're not going to learn in the same way that you do in Science/Math based courses--instead, you'll "indirectly" (for lack of a better term) learn skills that can be translated into other facets of life (e.g. stronger communication skills, research skills, reading comprehension, etc.).
Old 01-02-2013 at 12:30 AM   #12
ikantsepll
J's Prince

Liked: 607 Times

I've been madly attempting to get into 1CS3 over the past month with no luck because I heard it was easy. I took 1A03 and thought it was really easy (York didn't even make us write an essay on the exam, still waiting for the mark but not too scared). Should I stop trying to get into 1CS3?

I'm betting people will drop it in the first week so I could get in, but this thread is scaring me.
Old 01-02-2013 at 09:33 AM   #13
Frankenseuss

Liked: 23 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikantsepll View Post
I've been madly attempting to get into 1CS3 over the past month with no luck because I heard it was easy. I took 1A03 and thought it was really easy (York didn't even make us write an essay on the exam, still waiting for the mark but not too scared). Should I stop trying to get into 1CS3?

I'm betting people will drop it in the first week so I could get in, but this thread is scaring me.
Don't be scared by the class; I personally found it a total waste of time, but if the subject is one which you are interested in than go for it. I would say do NOT take a class just because you think it's going to be easy.
Old 01-07-2013 at 03:37 PM   #14
Allymkwan

English 1cs3