MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can 2nd year students select 1st year electives? Daman K Academics 8 09-08-2010 08:03 PM
First year electives KGood First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 06-14-2010 06:36 PM
2nd year hon. bio electives amandae Academics 12 06-09-2010 06:06 PM
Third Year Electives mnk1988 Academics 15 06-24-2009 11:25 AM
First Year Electives maturegoose Academics 2 08-21-2008 09:07 PM

second year electives

Old 04-25-2008 at 07:43 PM   #1
shikha

Liked: 0 Times

second year electives
hi,
i'm not sure this is the right place to post this question but i was hoping i could get any advice on relatively easy second year electives since i know that my second year will be very heavy. Any help would be appreciated
Old 05-28-2008 at 09:18 PM   #2
samantha__
Elite Member

Liked: 9 Times

I'm going into 2nd year too
I heard alot of Geo courses are a breeze, like Gemstones, Natural Disasters and Water. But I ALSO heard that they're changing these classes?
Can anyone verify this?
Old 05-28-2008 at 09:36 PM   #3
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

No one will know anything until the course calendar is released on the 9th. I heard that they were easy from the Prof, who has now been let go/saught employment elsewhere.

Indo European Myth (an anthro, specifically 2G03) is easy as long as it is still...Colarusso I think was his name.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 05-28-2008 at 09:39 PM   #4
temara.brown
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 352 Times

Origins 2B03!!!!! The Big Questions class... it's open to all faculties and is actually very interesting! You will get a good grade so long as you do the work. If focuses on the six origins themes: Origins of Space-Time, Life, Structure in the Universe, Species and Biodiversity, Humanity, and the Elements. Because it has such a wide topic subject base, it's bound to interest you in some degree even if you are not a science student.

Origins 2FF3 - the Origins of Evolution is also an amazing elective but you have to be in the Science faculty to take this one.

If you are a science student, I would definitely consider the Origins Research Specialization as it offers you many amazing electives for even beyond second year. I have nothing but praises for how great the classes are! The Origins website is here.
Old 05-28-2008 at 09:53 PM   #5
ferreinm
Elite Member

Liked: 120 Times

Moral Issues (Philosophy 2D03)
Old 05-28-2008 at 10:11 PM   #6
Eva C
Elite Member

Liked: 3 Times

hey ferreinm, can you give a bit more description about hte moral issues class? why you think its a good elective? what did you learn?
Old 05-28-2008 at 10:15 PM   #7
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by temara.brown View Post
Origins 2B03!!!!! The Big Questions class... it's open to all faculties and is actually very interesting! You will get a good grade so long as you do the work. If focuses on the six origins themes: Origins of Space-Time, Life, Structure in the Universe, Species and Biodiversity, Humanity, and the Elements. Because it has such a wide topic subject base, it's bound to interest you in some degree even if you are not a science student.

Origins 2FF3 - the Origins of Evolution is also an amazing elective but you have to be in the Science faculty to take this one.

If you are a science student, I would definitely consider the Origins Research Specialization as it offers you many amazing electives for even beyond second year. I have nothing but praises for how great the classes are! The Origins website is here.
I have a feeling Anthro majors would do fine in 2FF3. We talk more about evolution than people think! Departmental permission maybe?

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 05-28-2008 at 10:20 PM   #8
temara.brown
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 352 Times

I'm sure you would have no problem getting into Origins 2FF3... The professor is pretty chill. When I took this class in the Winter 2007 term, it was pretty small so I'm sure they'd welcome more students if word were to continue getting out there..

Best part about Origins 2FF3 is the project section of the course!! I got to do a project on Decapods!! (the classification containing crabs...) Because of 2FF3, I'm now a published author on crabs! YES!
Old 05-29-2008 at 07:52 AM   #9
ferreinm
Elite Member

Liked: 120 Times

Moral Issues is a course about what different people think about topics such as euthanasia, abortion, etc. There are 5 key theories used- Kant, Ross, Feminist Bioethics, Aristotle, and Utilitarianism and essentially we apply the theories to different topics. We got graded tutorials again too which was nice! =)

Last edited by ferreinm : 05-29-2008 at 02:11 PM.
Old 05-29-2008 at 02:01 PM   #10
david_08

could anyone tell me about the Music 2ii3 course? I heard this is the class about modern-era rock and roll. I'm just wondering what the class is made up of (ie how many midterms, presenations etc) and how the class was overall. I'm interested in classic rock music so i think i would enjoy this class
Old 05-29-2008 at 03:03 PM   #11
kokosas
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 23 Times

Lorend is right, 2G03 is really easy but there is a lot of reading involved so time constraints might be an issue.

My only suggestion with electives is try to take one that will somehow relate or help you with your degree... ie: if you're in biochem don't take geography of Japan unless you've got a passion for Japan. Take something that will benefit you in some way.

Old 05-29-2008 at 04:00 PM   #12
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_08 View Post
could anyone tell me about the Music 2ii3 course? I heard this is the class about modern-era rock and roll. I'm just wondering what the class is made up of (ie how many midterms, presenations etc) and how the class was overall. I'm interested in classic rock music so i think i would enjoy this class

How much do you like writing midterms on Saturdays? Because if Fast is teaching the course again that's what you get. I know a lot of people who said she ruined the course for them.

Material = good though.

Old 05-29-2008 at 08:48 PM   #13
nicole.h

Liked: 1 Time

I took the Geography class 'water' this past year. I assumed that it would be an easy elective, but I was wrong. The material was not as interesting as I thought it would be and the way the class was set up as different then I expected. There were 3 tests which had MCQ and short answers and then the final exam was 4 long essay questions. I actually did the worst in this class (compared to my other courses) because I was not motivated to study.

I've heard that natural disasters is a pretty good course as it is more interesting that the 'water' course.
Old 06-04-2008 at 01:06 AM   #14
Sanduni

does anyone know any good science eletives to take that sort of relate to biochemistry? is it useful to take more stats courses?

Last edited by Sanduni : 06-04-2008 at 01:38 AM.
Old 06-04-2008 at 01:43 AM   #15
Sanduni

Quote:
Originally Posted by temara.brown View Post

hey tamara, could you tell me a little bit more about the origins 2B03 course, because it seems interesting. Are there essays involved? lol